Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Andy Murray has broken early and gets a 2-0 lead in the first set over Stepanek.

Federer got a bit of a push from Ferrer earlier on, and was actually lucky to get away with the win, but he showed his class when he had to and won by two sets to one.

EDIT : Make that 3-0.

Edited by DomDom

6-4 to Murray in the first set. Stepanek isn't looking bad, but Murray is turning it on a bit because he realises he's in a game. Stepanek broke the serve of Murray, and Murray played a cracking last game in the set.

Guest The Phoenix
Not ever, let's be honest about it.

I forgot you had "The Complete Sporting History of The Phoenix" in your collection. :rolleyes:

I'm deeply honoured.

Edit: Fair point DomDom re first set.

Edited by The Phoenix

Guest The Phoenix
Ok, apologies. What was your highest place in the world rankings?

Totally irrelevant, in the second set Stepanek was no better than an average County player, which is what I was but with more fight in me. :P

in the second set Stepanek was no better than an average County player,

Aye, I could see an average county player taking the World Number 2 to five deuces in the one game facing his serve.

I take it your county were pretty good, aye? ;)

Guest The Phoenix
Aye, I could see an average county player taking the World Number 2 to five deuces in the one game facing his serve.

I take it your county were pretty good, aye? ;)

Token effort, old bean. ;)

Truth be known, Stirlingshire were pretty much at the bottom end of the County standings in my day. :(

Good to see Murray serving up another raping to a fellow seed. Stepanek looked ok in the latter stages of the first set but as Mark Petchey said in the studio, no-one on tour's game ever seems to bother Murray. Be it Nadal's heavy top-spin game, Roddicks power-game or Federer's cool hair-game.

Good to see Murray serving up another raping to a fellow seed. Stepanek looked ok in the latter stages of the first set but as Mark Petchey said in the studio, no-one on tour's game ever seems to bother Murray. Be it Nadal's heavy top-spin game, Roddicks power-game or Federer's cool hair-game.

Roddick, Gonzalez and Verdasco's bothered him in the last three slams though. :(

Totally irrelevant, in the second set Stepanek was no better than an average County player, which is what I was but with more fight in me. :P

Not wishing to pick on you, but this is an oft quoted myth. The gulf between the pros and the nearly pros is enormous.