Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Is he the most successful british player in the open era yet?

edit

He is one tournment win behind Greg Rusedski, but has four masters wins to Greg Rusedski's one

Edited by Bryan

Is he the most successful british player in the open era yet?

A good question.

I'd say so now, yes, but it depends how you want to measure it?

It's clearly between him and Henman.

Murray has now reached No 2 in the world, Henman peaked at No 4.

Henman won 11 career singles titles, Murray now has 13.

Henman only won one Masters event, Murray has won 4 now.

Henman never made a Grand Slam final, Murray has already made one.

However, Henman made six Grand Slam semi finals in his career, Murray to date has made only two. Henman also made them on three different surfaces, Murray has only managed two so far.

I think most reasonable people would now go with Murray.

A good question.

However, Henman made six Grand Slam semi finals in his career, Murray to date has made only two. Henman also made them on three different surfaces, Murray has only managed two so far.

Higher ranking

More titles

More Masters

More grand slam finals

I don't even think there is a debate as far as him and Henman go

A good question.

We not counting Greg Rusedski 14 wins as a brit :P but i agree with you re henman.

You also have to factor in that the standard of the opposition is a lot higher now than what it was when Henman was at his peak, or indeed his whole career.

I liked Henman as a player, and he was clearly a lot better than the Wimbledon-only watchers would have you believe, but I reckon he'd struggle to get into the top 10 if he was playing today.

Then Del Potro got injured and Murray leathered him in the end.

As far as I am aware at no point in that match did Potty get injured. He has been carrying a sore shoulder for a few days and this probably just got a bit sorer as the match lasted so long. Think the defeat was more due to his conditioning which is clearly nowhere near as good as Murray's. For me Potty has a decision to make. Muscle up like Nadal/Murray and become less mobile or get fitter and less bulky which could mean less power. Great talent but needs to decide what sort of player he wants to be over the next few years.

As far as I am aware at no point in that match did Potty get injured. He has been carrying a sore shoulder for a few days and this probably just got a bit sorer as the match lasted so long. Think the defeat was more due to his conditioning which is clearly nowhere near as good as Murray's. For me Potty has a decision to make. Muscle up like Nadal/Murray and become less mobile or get fitter and less bulky which could mean less power. Great talent but needs to decide what sort of player he wants to be over the next few years.

Murray put on muscle to make him fitter AND faster. One doesn't have to exclude the other. It's not like bodybuilding where you grow muscle thats pretty well useless. His programmes will have been geared utterly towards tennis and it's demands. Particularly his legs. If you look at Murray a few years back and compare him to now you'll see his legs in particular are huge. They were like last years rhubarb before.

Del Potro is probably at the stage Murray was at this time last year. I'm quite sure he will put himself through the mill when the season ends and will sort out his physique and endurance. The top guys i the mens game are all looking to do this. Roddick is another guy who went for it that way and has done well. The game seems much more attritional than it ever used to be. And its a lot faster too. The players need to be able to cope physically.

I don't even think there is a debate as far as him and Henman go

There probably isn't now but as recently as the start of this current season I'd still have had Henman ahead for sure, possible right up to Murray made No 3 in the world I would have.

We not counting Greg Rusedski 14 wins as a brit :P but i agree with you re henman.

To be honest I didn't consider Rusedski, not because of any conceptual issues about his nationality, just because his time at the top waasn't as lengthy really and I genuinely didn't think he had anything like as many titles. Only one Masters level though (plus a Grand Slam Cup win).

You also have to factor in that the standard of the opposition is a lot higher now than what it was when Henman was at his peak, or indeed his whole career.

I liked Henman as a player, and he was clearly a lot better than the Wimbledon-only watchers would have you believe, but I reckon he'd struggle to get into the top 10 if he was playing today.

A little harsh. Henman did have the likes of Sampras and Agassi around. There probably wasn't the depth that there is now but Henman at his peak would still easily be a top ten player today for me. Maybe not top 6 though I think he'd have a case relative to Roddick, Del Potro (at this point) and maybe even Djokovic.

Murray put on muscle to make him fitter AND faster. One doesn't have to exclude the other.

Only difference is Potty is 6'6". Not sure his lanky frame can take much more muscle without making him less mobile. Murray is probably about the optimum height for a tennis player and has always been an excellent mover. Don't get me wrong I think Potty is a class act but I've always had slight worries about the conditioning and long term fitness of overly tall players. Big bodies always look more likely to break down and Potty's people will need to work out what is best for their man and his body.

Only difference is Potty is 6'6". Not sure his lanky frame can take much more muscle without making him less mobile. Murray is probably about the optimum height for a tennis player and has always been an excellent mover. Don't get me wrong I think Potty is a class act but I've always had slight worries about the conditioning and long term fitness of overly tall players. Big bodies always look more likely to break down and Potty's people will need to work out what is best for their man and his body.

I'm an inch shorter than hi and I put a fair bit of muscle onto my legs the past year for playing squash. It helps to protect the knees a bit and obviously helps with endurance.

Del Potro won't look like Nadal simply because he's built differently, but he can certainly put on enough muscle and power to help make him compete in the tough games with the top players. He's already obviously got the game to be a champion but he needs to do what he has to do with his fitness. I reckon he is probably still growing and can't do too much at the moment. Similat to Murray a couple of years back. Everyone is built differently. Del Potro isn't going to ever look muscle bound like Nadal simply because he is much taller and slimmer naturally. He does need to work on his movement though as he isn't naturally athletic.

I just wonder whether Federer will have the same desire for Slams as he's had in the past. He's broken the record, and he's recently become a dad. Murray will certainly be the hungrier of the two for the US Open.

That's not to say he'll definitely win it, but I reckon he stands the best chance of all the players in the field. (barring injury)

I just wonder whether Federer will have the same desire for Slams as he's had in the past. He's broken the record, and he's recently become a dad. Murray will certainly be the hungrier of the two for the US Open.

That's not to say he'll definitely win it, but I reckon he stands the best chance of all the players in the field. (barring injury)

Two good points you make there.

I don't know if Federer is the type to suffer lose of hunger, but maybe he will.

Murray will definitely be the hungrier of the two, no doubt, but Feds will still be there.

This'll probably come back to haunt me, but I can't see Nadal even being in the running for the US Open this year. Hard courts are his least favourite surface as it is, but I don't see his fitness holding up in the long 5 set matches in the August heat of New York.

As long as Murray avoids Gonzalez, and maybe even Tsonga, I don't see any real problems for him to at least reach the final.