Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Easy stuff for Andy. Beginning to think this "virus" was maybe on his laptop :lol:

Totally humped Fed in the last set and Roger looked utterly befuddled.

Federer had completely run out of ideas. It was quite strange to see such a brilliant player like that just swatting the ball aimlessly. Murray has the measure of him these days. Federer will need to come up with something new if he is going to beat Murray.

Dinno how the final will go today. Don't see any reason why Murray can't win though.

Yes, Murray was completely outclassed by Nadal last night. The conditions were almost farcical, you could see the ball drifting in the wind, and it certainly didn't suit Murray's game but Nadal adapted much better and was in a different league.

Still a good week for Murray though who pulls a pile of ranking points back on Djokovic (who won this last year). Gap between the two is down to 570 points. Next up is Miami where both lost in the last 64 last year so are each defending just 10 points.

He also solidly established himself as a top four player, extending his lead over Davydenko in 5th to over 3,000 points.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I appreciate Murray was knackered and he probably doesn't really care about anyone other than number 1, but that was a very disappointing manner in which he lost last night. Being outclassed by Nadal in difficult conditions is one thing, but looking and playing like you'd rather be playing in the David Cup is an insult to the people that pay to show up and support such events.

Another really solid week - and more proof that he absolutely owns Federer. That's the second time in a row that the bookies have had Federer favourite against him too - I have no idea why. He looks completely unable to deal with Murray's game.

He got a royal pumping last night but it was still another good week for Murray. He has started the season in really good nick. He has shown that he can deal with Federer and he has beaten Nadal a couple of times too. Nadal is the guy he really needs to work out though to get where he wants to be in the game. Nadal on form is a magnificent player and showed yesterday he can deal with shit conditions as well. Murray seemed to lose his focus completely and eventually chucked it.

I still think there is more to come from Murray. Nadal is maybe at the height of his powers though.

I'm sure Murray hates losing, and losing badly like he did yesterday. But no way can it be said he chucked it. I like his attitude, it was a great week for him, he played above his seeding, pumped federer (again) and lost to the best player in the world in the final of a ATP1000 event (in most ridiculous conditions I've ever seen Tennis played in). He can still be a brat on the court when it goes against him, but he seems to step back from it after the match and keep his responses reasonable, not to elated when he wins, not killing himself when he loses.

Murray learns really quickly. He might get pumped by Nadal again soon, but it won't be by playing like that in those conditions. Hopefully these two will go at again in Miami next week in normal conditions so that Murray can get at Nadal's second serve.

Nadal murdered him at wimbledon when his first serve and returning deserted him, but next time out at the us open he put it all together and one quite comfortably. It's not men and boys stuff anymore, it's just about putting it together when it matters.

I'm sure Murray hates losing, and losing badly like he did yesterday. But no way can it be said he chucked it. I like his attitude, it was a great week for him, he played above his seeding, pumped federer (again) and lost to the best player in the world in the final of a ATP1000 event (in most ridiculous conditions I've ever seen Tennis played in). He can still be a brat on the court when it goes against him, but he seems to step back from it after the match and keep his responses reasonable, not to elated when he wins, not killing himself when he loses.

Murray learns really quickly. He might get pumped by Nadal again soon, but it won't be by playing like that in those conditions. Hopefully these two will go at again in Miami next week in normal conditions so that Murray can get at Nadal's second serve.

Nadal murdered him at wimbledon when his first serve and returning deserted him, but next time out at the us open he put it all together and one quite comfortably. It's not men and boys stuff anymore, it's just about putting it together when it matters.

Mentally he had chucked it late in the second set. He was struggling badly with the wind and Nadal was horsing him. A bit like Federer in the semi really.

I agree though. Murray is competitive and has a bit of rage about him. He reminds me a bit of McEnroe that way. Not as mental as that obviously but he lets it out now and again.

Murray WILL keep getting better. Physically he is pretty much there with the likes of Nadal and the rest but he will fanny around with different parts of his game. His second serve is asking to be twatted fairly regularly, and his forehand could be worked on. He reads the situation on court really well though and he is good at working out opponents too. That's a good part of the game to have, not all the top pros have that ability.

He didn't look very impressive in his win over Massu last night, very error prone.

Indeed.

I didn't think Murray looked interested last night and should probably have lost the 2nd set as Massu was definately on top. Just as well he can ace under pressure as Massu's returns were giving him no end of problems.

Indeed.

I didn't think Murray looked interested last night and should probably have lost the 2nd set as Massu was definately on top. Just as well he can ace under pressure as Massu's returns were giving him no end of problems.

Murray started badly and gradually got to grips with the guy. He was serving really badly in the first set but still had enough to see him off. Massu had some forehand on him though, he was ripping it most of the game. I don't think Murray really had to dig all that deep though to get through. He will need to serve a lot better than that though. He didn't serve all that well in the first tie either.

He's just beaten Troicki 6-1, 6-0.

Looks like he lucked out with the draw, that was without question the easiest tie he could have expected at this stage of a Masters event.

Next up is the somewhat more difficult prospect of either Verdasco or Stepanek, whose game has not long started. Needless to say, it would be much better if Stepanek created an upset here, as Murray struggles with Verdasco's game.

Guest The Phoenix

Murray has a 5 - 1 head to head record against Verdasco, albeit the loss was in their latest encounter at the Aussie Open.

Don't think he'll be exactly quaking in his gutties about facing either of them.