Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Err, yes it does. It proves only last year he cried off with a made up injury/illness to avoid playing Davis Cup.

It's the boy who cried wolf. Maybe this time he really was unfit to play - who knows? The fact he lied last time, and was caught lying, suggests his injury reports cannot be trusted.

Let's not forget his attitude towards the Olympics either, where by his own admission he didn't train, turned up out of condition, and was delighted when he lost.

Let's not forget his attitude towards the Olympics either, where by his own admission he didn't train, turned up out of condition, and was delighted when he lost.

Did he say that? I didn't see it if he did. Link? I recall him conceding he'd played badly and deserved to lose but none of the rest of it.

If he did it's a strange attitude considering, unlike the Davis Cup, there were Rankings Points at stake.

I have no doubt that the main reason he reached the US Open final, (beating a knackered Nadal in the process due to his good run at the Olympics), was because he lost so early at the Olympics. I remember thinking at the time that losing would be good for him. He clearly has his priorities, whether it is right for him to do this is debatable, however I think he is being pretty clever about it. Murray will be judged on the number of Grand Slams he wins at the end of his career, not whether he reaches the later stages of the Olympics or wins a few Davis Cup matches.

Murray will be judged on the number of Grand Slams he wins at the end of his career, not whether he reaches the later stages of the Olympics or wins a few Davis Cup matches.

As a player, undoubtedly. And I think he'll win a couple at least.

For any sportsman representing your country is just one part of your career. It obviously varies in importance from sport to sport and competition to competition.

I agree about schedules too - I'd like to see top players given ranking points for Davis Cup participation, or taking McEnroe's idea and make it a "Davis Cup month" and clear the month after the australian Open or something to play it in one go.

I reckon he's just not that keen on representing 'GB' in an international sense. British tennis is basically English tennis, and after the hard time he got from the English press about his throwaway remark about wearing a Paraguay shirt during the World Cup, he probably doesn't feel all that motivated.

If Scotland had their own Davis Cup team, I reckon he'd make more of an effort.

Perhaps not.

I reckon he's just not that keen on representing 'GB' in an international sense. British tennis is basically English tennis, and after the hard time he got from the English press about his throwaway remark about wearing a Paraguay shirt during the World Cup, he probably doesn't feel all that motivated.

:lol:

How many of the 'chip on the shoulder' brigade do you think you'll reel in with that one Stewart?

I do know that Murray still has issues with the LTA related to Jamie's development as a youngster, which is part of the reason he went to Spain. Not sure if this factors into his thinking, but it might.

I know his girlfriend's dog was once stood on by Paul Annacone's son's best friend.

I think that might have a part to play in the decision too.

There may be some truth in that, but I somehow suspect, like Tiger Woods, he doesn't really fancy the whole team event thing. Perhaps to be so good at an individual sport, it helps to have that attitude.

It would certainly get him a far harsher press in Scotland than the armchair ride he has at the moment if he treated a fictional Scottish Davis Cup team like he has the GB one.

The LTA cant do any mroe than they have done. Bringing it to Braehead twice where "Scotland" was even emblazoned on the court beside the net posts (I wonder how well the racists in this nation would have reacted had "England" been lettered on the court at the Birmingham NEC - no doubt that would have been a national outrage, a sign of "london hegemony" etc etc).

Going off topic a bit I can see Murray struggling tonight. He still looks bit rusty and hasn't really been testedso far this week. Fed is a totally differnt opponent than he has faced this week also.

Hope andy comes threw but I think fed will win in 3