Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Murray is some boi.

I was at the Madrid Open last week, saw a cracker of a match as Thiem lost in 3 sets to Tsitsipas followed by Sakkari winning in 3 sets.

Session started at 8 and didn't finish til near enough 2am - shame as the second match emptied for folk getting the metro home. 

IMG_20230429_204154.thumb.jpg.502db4ccb0d9227a3423b57740bdfb39.jpg

14 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Has Andy Murray announced if he will be playing in the French? 

Don’t know if he’s formally announced it but he will be - all these clay court tournaments are him getting warmed up for it.

On 08/05/2023 at 09:28, Connor7 said:

Has Andy Murray announced if he will be playing in the French? 

He doesn’t need to announce it, his ranking gets him automatic enrolment into the tournament.  He would need to announce a withdrawal.

He’ll be disappointed with his loss to Fognini, but Fognini followed that up with another great win today.  Fognini is always a great watch, you just never know what Fognini you’ll get.  The clown or the king.

Murray might even turn up in an event next week.  The sole aim is to get seeded by Wimbledon.

On 21/05/2023 at 13:41, Donathan said:

Officially out of Rolland Garros to focus on Wimbledon. I wonder if he’s going to call it a day at Wimbledon. 

He's playing so few matches nowadays it's always going to be a possibility until he actually does it. I think he's seen rafa admit defeat and tbh, what realistically could he still achieve? A victory at a major tournament (Slam or masters series) is beyond him now. He got to the top 50,could he get to the top 32 and be seeded at Wimbledon or US open? Possible but unlikely. 

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:

He's playing so few matches nowadays it's always going to be a possibility until he actually does it. I think he's seen rafa admit defeat and tbh, what realistically could he still achieve? A victory at a major tournament (Slam or masters series) is beyond him now. He got to the top 50,could he get to the top 32 and be seeded at Wimbledon or US open? Possible but unlikely. 

He’s 42nd atm. Not sure how many of the top 32 are injured but he’s not too far away from being seeded at SW19.

I think he'll give it one more year then finish up at the 2024 Wimbledon.

He seems to be tweeting a lot more these days, especially about fatherhood, I think this is the start of the wind down.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Ooft, Medvedev out losing 3-2 in the first round.

Aye, shocker that. First main draw appearance at Roland Garros for his opponent too. Djokovic and Alcaraz strolled through their ties yesterday.

On 23/05/2023 at 12:24, jaggyness said:

The realistic best goal would probably be Davis cup related given Norris’s quality and the abundance of decent doubles players.

Lleyton Hewitt only played DC at the end of his career IIRC 

On 23/05/2023 at 14:58, Donathan said:

He’s 42nd atm. Not sure how many of the top 32 are injured but he’s not too far away from being seeded at SW19.

Quite a few around him will be collecting ranking points at the French open though so makes it that bit more difficult to climb the ranking 

Clayvedev strikes again 🤣

Famous Dimitri quotes about the red stuff 'I don't want to play on this stupid surface' - 'my game doesn't suit clay, i hate everything around me'

Looking like the winner of an Alcaraz v Djokovic semi final will win the trophy. Bottom half of the draw more open, probably be Sinner or Ruud in the final against one of them. 

56 minutes ago, Lex said:

Clayvedev strikes again 🤣

Famous Dimitri quotes about the red stuff 'I don't want to play on this stupid surface' - 'my game doesn't suit clay, i hate everything around me'

Looking like the winner of an Alcaraz v Djokovic semi final will win the trophy. Bottom half of the draw more open, probably be Sinner or Ruud in the final against one of them. 

Him and his coach after the match yesterday - 

Putin Backs Deputy Prime Minister as Successor - The New York Times

3 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Quite a few around him will be collecting ranking points at the French open though so makes it that bit more difficult to climb the ranking 

Also although he missed Queen's last year he's still defending 195 points from Surbiton and Stuttgart.

Hopefully he gets through the warm up tournaments injury free and can have a go at making the 2nd week at Wimbledon.

Sinner hanging on here a bit in the fifth set. Three tiebreaks (so far) and over five hours played.

Delighted to see Alcaraz v Shapovalov getting the nod for the evening match tomorrow. Could be great Friday night viewing.