Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

7 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Roger Taylor made it to the semis three times.

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
10 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:
I've got Norries, Henman, Murray. Who's the fourth, did Rusedski ever manage it?

Roger Taylor ..... Rusedskki only made Qtrs and was beaten by henman

Ta. I would never have got that.

I actually think Norrie has a chance against Novak. He's going to have 3 days rest, so Fresh. If he can just keep his first serve percentage up and rattle Novak..who knows. Great achievement and just go for it!!!

I don't.
Novak in straight sets IMO

11 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Plays like he did today and Norrie will be lucky to win 6 games in total never mind a set.

Not a fan of Novax but his match management is quite sublime. The way he handled Sinner today after going 2 sets down was most impressive........no panic, no Kyrgios-like petulence......in fact, he got better the longer the match went on.

Don't think Norrie has the shotmaking ability to cope with Djokovic.

If Djokovic is as slow out of the blocks as he was today, Norrie might scramble the first set, but will succumb to a 3-1 defeat.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

I agree, Norrie has no chance of bearing djokovic, but he deserves massive credit for getting this far. You also never know what can happen, injuries etc.

It'll be slightly annoying that he won't get any points for this performance. That would've been a great boost.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I agree, Norrie has no chance of bearing djokovic, but he deserves massive credit for getting this far. You also never know what can happen, injuries etc.

It'll be slightly annoying that he won't get any points for this performance. That would've been a great boost.

Am I missing something ? Do you mean ranking points ? If so, why not ?

Great win for Norrie and delighted to see him in the semi final. He’s certainly had a kind draw so far - he’s in the semi and he’s only had to beat one seeded player, and that was the 30th seed. But you can only beat what’s put in front of you and he’s certainly done that.
Huge jump in class coming up now against the favourite and first seed.
The partisan crowd will get Djokovic nice and fired up and I expect him to cruise through. But upsets do happen…

Am I missing something ? Do you mean ranking points ? If so, why not ?

Cause Wimbledon banned Russian players the ATP decided that this wasn’t going to be a ranking event. It’s one big glorious exhibition tournament.

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

No ranking points because of the ban on Russian and Belarusian players.

ATP statement

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Cause Wimbledon banned Russian players the ATP decided that this wasn’t going to be a ranking event. It’s one big glorious exhibition tournament.

Thanks for replies. Never realised this was happening !

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

The eventual winner won’t give a toss though.  Still a slam

Are they allowed to take performance into account in future tournaments? Like if an unseeded player wins Wimbledon could that be used as a criteria for seeding them at the US Open, or would they have to ignore it because of the ranking points ban?

The eventual winner won’t give a toss though.  Still a slam

Oh definitely. The top guys aren’t that arsed about ranking points anyway, it makes no real difference to Djokovic and Nadal.
it’s guys like Norrie, Van Rijtoven and Broady who are really affected. The rankling points these guys should have got from their runs would have made a huge difference to them.
There will be no asterisk beside the name of whoever wins this title, but it is a pity the world number one Medvedev hasn’t been allowed to compete. He hasn’t lived in Russia since he was a kid.

Just now, Lex said:

Oh definitely. The top guys aren’t that arsed about ranking points anyway, it makes no real difference to Djokovic and Nadal.
it’s guys like Norrie, Van Rijtoven and Broady who are really affected. The rankling points these guys should have got from their runs would have made a huge difference to them.
There will be no asterisk beside the name of whoever wins this title, but it is a pity the world number one Medvedev hasn’t been allowed to compete. He hasn’t lived in Russia since he was a kid.

Excellent Freudian slip there....................

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Not denying those guys would have loved the points.  Better draws etc.  their bank balances have still had a hefty boost so they won’t be greeting about it.  They’ll look at their performances and take nothing but positives from the tournament.