Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Just now, Biscuits said:

Too passive? He tried to hit him with the ball 3 times emoji1787.png

I'm talking about when Kyrgios was trying to get him flung out the match. He should have been telling him to chase himself it's up to the umpire and asking the umpire to deal with his language and stuff to wind him right up. I don't like Tsisipas as he's a p***k on the court too after his 2x8 minute pish breaks against Murray. Aiming at him is a genuine tactic to keep them at the back of the court although his was a wee bit heads gone.

Kyrgois / Tsitsipas was a brilliant match to watch for a neutral but in terms of 'the corinthian spirit of sport', that umpire was a fucking eunuch. He allowed himself to be bullied for the first two sets by Kyrgios, who makes McEnroe look like The Holy Mother, he effed & jeffed his way through the entire match, even with two line judges reporting Kyrgios for swearing , even I could lip read his epithets. The Wimbledon blazers have absolutely made a huge rod for their back with this spineless display.

I used to think Tsitsipas was a bit of a dick for his use of 'tactical medical time outs' but I thought he was shafted tonight from a rules perspective.

Nick Kyrgios, the new face of GTF tennis. 

There were numerous opportunities for Kygrios to check out of that match, Fair play to him, w****r or not. I agree that both guys were wanks there tbh, but tremendous entertainment. Tsitsipas should clearly have been DQ'ed for launching the ball into the crowd. 

No one has ever been defaulted for hitting a ball into the crowd.  It’s a warning only.  Ball abuse. No one else would have got anything different.  In fact Nick Kyrgios hit a child in Australia this year.

If you hit a permanent fixture inside the court, such as the umpire, a lines judge or a ball boy and it’s deemed to have excessive force you will be defaulted.

Djokovic @ US Open, Shapovalov @ Davis Cup, Nalbandian @ Queens. Henman @ Wimbledon. Zverev got defaulted in doubles this year too. Are the defaults I can remember on the mens side.

The shot that Tsitsipas got a penalty point for could have been a default if it hit someone inside the court.

I should clarify that you could be defaulted for ball abuse but it would be your final punishment for accumulating warnings throughout the match.

I have a feeling that had it been Kyrgios that had hit the ball into the crowd, he would've been disqualified. 
Not a chance
You’ve got to be joking? Kyrgios has routinely been let off with things that others would have been penalised for today 
Absolutely this.

I started off wanting kyrgios to win and go all the way but that was a fucking disgrace.

Wimbledon have shat it with him.

Hopefully they take a good look at themselves, issue a statement, and then deal with any future nonsense accordingly.

I couldn't believe that he only turned half the crowd against him with that display.

Outrageous player, and I've agreed with some of his takes before, but that was mental.

7 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Didn't see much of the first 3 sets, what are the Kyrgios complaints? Generally around verbal towards line judges/umpires? Sue was certainly not happy post match. 

In the first set tiebreak there was a line call where one of his shots was called out by the line judge, overruled to in by the chair and the point had to be replayed. Kyrgios absolutely lost the head and started swearing and calling for the line judge who made the error to be replaced. There was also an incident where a line judge reported him to the chair for swearing, but the chair took no action.

Towards the end of the 2nd, a frustrated Tsitsipas belted a ball into the stands. Luckily for him, it didn't hit anyone, so he just got a warning for it, but this infuriated Kyrgios who was adamant that he should have been defaulted. He asked to speak to the supervisor, who came to the court and explained that it's not a default if no one gets hit. Kyrgios rejected this explanation and asked for another supervisor, at one point saying he would refuse to start the second set. He eventually calmed down and played.

He was again reported by a line judge for swearing in the 3rd set and on this occasion the chair did give him a warning.

Then a frustrated Tsitsipas belted another ball away (After Kyrios made an underhand ace to win a game), this time hitting the scoreboard. He was given a code violation for this.

Tsitsipas also legally tried to hit Kyrgios on three different occasions.

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I thought you weren’t allowed to deliberately hit the ball at your opponent?

No idea how you’d prove it mind.

Ivan Lendl would deliberately hit his opponents as it would immediately win him the point.  You can do it as often as you like.  Hence Andy Murray doing a victory celebration when he did it in the charity match at Queens.

If you do so after the ball is dead, same penalties can apply for hitting umpires etc.  While the ball is alive you can fill your boots.  Fabio Fognini loves to hit an opponent that annoys him.

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Ivan Lendl would deliberately hit his opponents as it would immediately win him the point.  You can do it as often as you like.  Hence Andy Murray doing a victory celebration when he did it in the charity match at Queens.

If you do so after the ball is dead, same penalties can apply for hitting umpires etc.  While the ball is alive you can fill your boots.  Fabio Fognini loves to hit an opponent that annoys him.

Am I right in saying that this applies to everyone, not just the opponent? Plenty of centre line judges have taken a 130MPH serve in the face before, and occasionally a chair umpire will get hit by a wayward back hand. That's very different from being hit by a ball that a player has angrily lashed after a point is over.

Oh yeah hitting a live ball at an opponent is fair game and is the best shot in a lot of situations, particularly in doubles.
Much more tricky to return a volley hit right at you than hit within your wing span.
In the mixed doubles in particular you’ll often see the guy smack a close range volley right at the lady. Nasty, but effective.

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

Am I right in saying that this applies to everyone, not just the opponent? Plenty of centre line judges have taken a 130MPH serve in the face before, and occasionally a chair umpire will get hit by a wayward back hand. That's very different from being hit by a ball that a player has angrily lashed after a point is over.

Not necessarily.  If you hit a line judge etc as part of a shot that was legal yes - i.e Isner hits a line judge with an ace, Kyrgios hitting a child in Australia using excessive force.  Both of these were winning shots that bounced in the court.  That isn't deemed deliberate.  But if you deliberately shank a shot that you have no control over,  that doesn't land in the court and that then hits a line judge, the match referee could default you.  The point penalty Tsitsipas got yesterday, if that had hit anyone, he could have been defaulted.  So definitely not the same as deliberately hitting your opponent.

It would be the match referee's decision if it was worthy of a default even if the shot was technically live.  

IMG_8809.jpg
That’s the last 16 there, some cracking matches. Sinner v Alcaraz the stand out in the first section, two future superstars. A 20 year old against a 19 year old for the right to face (surely) Novak in the last 8.
Norrie has found himself in a nice little spot in the draw. One of him, Paul, Goffin or Tiafoe will be in the semi, and he’s the highest ranked and highest seeded of them, no reason it can’t be him.
An all Aus quarter final looks likely in the third section, Kyrgios v De Minaur would be a cracker if they both can past their respective unseeded opponents.
Hard to see Rafa not making the semi in the final section. If he stays fit and firing, none of those other three players will cause him much problems.
I’ll go for a semi line up of:
Novak v Norrie
Rafa v Kyrgios
And Novak to beat Nick in the final…