Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

13 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Wimbledon loses it's ranking points allocation after ban on Russian and Belarusian players

That’s a joke btw. Why is Wimbledon being punished for making a strong statement in support of Ukraine? Surely all Russian and Belarusian players should be kicked off the entire tour until the invasion ends? 

That’s a joke btw. Why is Wimbledon being punished for making a strong statement in support of Ukraine? Surely all Russian and Belarusian players should be kicked off the entire tour until the invasion ends? 
It's a tough one imo. It's different in team sports where they are representing their country, but Davis Cup aside, tennis players are representing only themselves. Also very unfair to ask players to comment against the invasion as they will undoubtedly face a backlash if they do return home.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Increasingly looking like Raducanu’s US open was a fluke unfortunately 

Looked like it at the time being as she didn't play a top ten player in any of the rounds, including the final. It's going to be hard for her now playing like a talented but fairly ordinary player on the circuit but earning far more because of the US win. The innocent wee girl is going to have to grow up quickly.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Looked like it at the time being as she didn't play a top ten player in any of the rounds, including the final. It's going to be hard for her now playing like a talented but fairly ordinary player on the circuit but earning far more because of the US win. The innocent wee girl is going to have to grow up quickly.

She actually ended up winning 6-1 in the third set 

Has anyone on here managed to get tickets for Wimbledon before?

Looking at going down with Barrhead Travel, but it’s an outside ticket.

Always fancied centre court, but I’m sure they are done within a ballot?

Yeah - pre-pandemic there was always around 500 tickets for Centre and Court 3 put on Ticketmaster 48 hours before play. Got Centre tickets that way about 5 years ago, cracking experience.

Queue is also an option, but an overnight camp is needed for a show court.

18 hours ago, Connor7 said:

It used to be done on a ballot where you’d send an application in and if you were pulled out of the ballot you had an opportunity to purchase tickets.

Now you have to sign up to their membership site, and those in a certain membership level are automatically enrolled into the ballot.

I did the ballot every year from 2009 to 2016 and never got anything.  My friend Kevin did it once and got centre court tickets for the Wimbledon final in 2015 😂

Outside tickets at the Slams are actually really good especially in the earlier rounds.  You can see a lot of different tennis players and can see a match from 10am until light runs out. 

Never mind this dirt game getting played in France currently.  The grass court season starts on Monday, and Andy Murray has entered Surbirton and is drawn to play Jurij Rodionov.  He prefers grass reached a junior doubles final at Wimbledon and also his only ATP semi final came on grass.

I really love it when a player drops down to the challenger circuit as you get to see so many differing game styles and strategies that it can actually be more difficult for the seasoned pro.

4 minutes ago, Loki said:

Never mind this dirt game getting played in France currently.  The grass court season starts on Monday, and Andy Murray has entered Surbirton and is drawn to play Jurij Rodionov.  He prefers grass reached a junior doubles final at Wimbledon and also his only ATP semi final came on grass.

I really love it when a player drops down to the challenger circuit as you get to see so many differing game styles and strategies that it can actually be more difficult for the seasoned pro.

It's on BBC apparently, probably red button or iplayer.

I was at that dirt game played in France currently yesterday, and it's not that bad! 

Had day tickets for Chatrier. Was a shame (but not a surprise) the stadium was mostly empty for the two women's matches, but good to see Leyla Fernandez and Coco Gauff in person.  Both very impressive.

The stadium obviously filled out for the Nadal - Auger-Aliassime match which was excellent fun. A few very partisan folk cheering for the Canadian made it more entertaining.

Also got to see some doubles before it all got going on the main courts. A great day all round.

20220529_161616.thumb.jpg.7f443fb04bfccee3ee31208b2f046685.jpg

Edited by morrison