Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

And beats Shapovalov by 2 sets to 1 tonight. 

Looked like 2016 Murray there in the brief highlight I saw, my word.

The last two matches have been very good.  He had one dodgy service game, which gifted the second set, but everything else was good.

His first serve was over 60%, his +1 shot after that had more depth.  He showed more variety, and he looks like he’s faster.  He varied his return stance on second serve.

I think the knowledge of having Lendl back has given him confidence and he’s taking chances he’s presented with now. He missed seven match points at the Paris Masters.  Missed chances against Medvedev, so hopefully he can continue taking them.

If he can do that again he’ll create chances against Novak.  It’s all about can he take them.  There is no expectation on him, so it should be a good match.  All the pressure will be on Novak.

Hes almost back in the top 50 and at that stage won’t need wild cards.  I guess the next questions will be is he going to play Rome or Roland Garros?  Best of five on clay might be too much, but certainly should play Rome irrespective of his result against Novak.

He’s on the entry lists for Rome Qualifiers so will be interesting to see if he can recover enough to play them.  It’s all been positive this week.  Shame to see momentum lost.

He’s on the entry lists for Rome Qualifiers so will be interesting to see if he can recover enough to play them.  It’s all been positive this week.  Shame to see momentum lost.
I would like to have seen how he preformed against djokovic on the clay. Just to see how close to his best he might have been

On 21/01/2022 at 08:42, Loki said:

Alcaraz is just going to utter destroy tennis in two years.  His game might not adjust to grass, but he’s going to have opportunities to win the others every season starting from the French this year.  He’ll be inside the top 16 seeds by then.

Yup not even two years.

Became the first player ever to beat Nadal and Djokovic on clay at the same tournament, and utterly destroyed the defending champion.

Will be a top eight seed for the French.  Really has Nadal like feels about his rise.

One(!) comment on Alcaraz in all this time compared to literally hundreds of comments on someone's vaccine status back in January.

What a world.

giphy.gif

Alcaraz is an absolute superstar and seems to have no weaknesses in his game at all. Strength, stamina, durability and an all-round game that could translate to any surface. Special mention to the best drop-shot in the game at only 18 and is already wiping the floor with the best tennis has to offer up. I think Djokovic certainly has another gear in him when he gets fitter but I can't see anyone else going toe-to-toe with Alcaraz on his best day.

Last year I predicted he would definitely win a slam someday. Now I am thinking he will win most of them from here on in. An absolute phenomenon in the making.

The Madrid crowd forlornly supporting Nadal over Alcaraz one day and then the next scoring out their Nadal flags and t-shirts to replace them with 'Vamos Carlitos' was amusing to say the least. Nadal had no answers in the two sets that Alcaraz was ankle-strapping-free; he was simply outfought, outthought and overpowered. Even his desperate dick-move to attempt to continue the match while someone in the crowd had collapsed and was receiving paramedic attention was ultimately to no avail.

7 minutes ago, IggyStooge said:

One(!) comment on Alcaraz in all this time compared to literally hundreds of comments on someone's vaccine status back in January.

What a world.

giphy.gif

Alcaraz is an absolute superstar and seems to have no weaknesses in his game at all. Strength, stamina, durability and an all-round game that could translate to any surface. Special mention to the best drop-shot in the game at only 18 and is already wiping the floor with the best tennis has to offer up. I think Djokovic certainly has another gear in him when he gets fitter but I can't see anyone else going toe-to-toe with Alcaraz on his best day.

Last year I predicted he would definitely win a slam someday. Now I am thinking he will win most of them from here on in. An absolute phenomenon in the making.

The Madrid crowd forlornly supporting Nadal over Alcaraz one day and then the next scoring out their Nadal flags and t-shirts to replace them with 'Vamos Carlitos' was amusing to say the least. Nadal had no answers in the two sets that Alcaraz was ankle-strapping-free; he was simply outfought, outthought and overpowered. Even his desperate dick-move to attempt to continue the match while someone in the crowd had collapsed and was receiving paramedic attention was ultimately to no avail.

I think his serve is an area of improvement that still needs work on.  The kick serve on his second serve was tremendous in Madrid, but I think the court conditions certainly helped that.

Everything else though, fucking wow.  Stan’s power, Murray’s movement, Fognini and Paire’s touch, Nadal’s forehand, Diokovic’s backhand.

Nadal broke his rib beating him in Indian Wells. Conditions in Madrid are totally different to what they will be in Paris.  So would still make Nadal favourite but no one will want him in the draw.  Will definitely get one of the top 4 in the quarters.  

13 minutes ago, Loki said:

Murray’s movement

That's a great shout as well. Like Murray, he seems to be strategist and can be mentally a couple of shots ahead of his opponent; like he sees the next couple of moves shaping in his head - a Tetris Tennis brain. He also seems to have a dash of Djokovic's flexibility and reflexes on the return of serve and was able to return some booming serves from Zverev yesterday that would ace most players.

For just turning 19 on Thursday, it's astounding stuff, especially the tennis brain. The only threats I can think of that could halt his rise are possible off-the-court dramas and distractions but he seems so grounded and family-oriented at the moment that hopefully he won't be tempted by the trappings of fame too much.

On 04/09/2021 at 16:17, Honest_Man#1 said:

Might not be breaking the rules, but he’s a cheat to me. Will be looking at results hoping he’s punted out as early as possible from now on tbh.

He just threw a wee temper tantrum after getting bageled by Novak in the first set of the Italian final. Pleasing. 😁

Career win 1001 brings a sixth Italian Open and 38th ATP Masters 1000 title for Djokovic, who is starting to get back to full match fitness just in time for the French. Although, after his showing in Madrid, I still make Carlos Alcaraz the favourite right now.

Edit:

125390255_Screenshot2022-05-15at17-28-09TennisATPandWTARoma-HesGoal.ComSportsNews.png.e326a7449ed0e6c8e0cc2ebfb7a43a4b.png

Nadal is carrying the foot inury as well as was evident in his defeat by Denis Shapovalov in Rome.

Edited by IggyStooge
screenshot inserted

Apparently Andy Murray is missing the French to start preparations for the grass court season. Although it remains to be seen how the tournaments in England this summer will be affected after the ATP's decision to strip the LTA tournaments of ranking points. The British Government meddling in affairs they should stay out of as usual but sport does seem to be getting more and more like political propaganda in the modern era.