Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I thought he did okay against Medvedev, he went aggressive and missed shots and then fell back to being passive and stupidly tried to outgrind someone younger, fitter and stronger.  Medvedev was excellent on serve, and Murray’s returns were off.  Lendl was looking on and you can clearly see what he could do if he played well.

That was his last match until the grass, where he will look to play Stuttgart, Queens and Wimbledon.  He even talked about playing the grass challenger at Surburton.  A training block with Lendl in Miami until then.

• 4 weeks later...

Madrid is a good clay tournament as it is at altitude so plays a bit faster than other courts.

In other news the LTA is going to ban players from Russia and Belarus in their upcoming summer programme which includes Queens and Wimbledon.  No doubt will get overturned by CAS in the near future.

On 20/04/2022 at 13:23, Loki said:

In other news the LTA is going to ban players from Russia and Belarus in their upcoming summer programme which includes Queens and Wimbledon.  No doubt will get overturned by CAS in the near future.

Not sure if I really agree with this or not. But thinking about it, it's possibly the best way forward for any Russian players. If they had to denounce the invasion as a condition of playing, it probably wouldn't go down well back home, and could put them and their families in a very tricky position with the Russian Govt.

Carlos Alcaraz makes his debut inside the top ten today.  To give an indication on how big achievement this is the last three players to achieve this are Murray, Djokovic and Nadal.

Rafa Nadal made his top ten debut on this date in 2005.  He’s still there today 17 years later and he hasn’t left it since. 

The King and Prince of Spanish tennis.

5 hours ago, Loki said:

Carlos Alcaraz makes his debut inside the top ten today.  To give an indication on how big achievement this is the last three players to achieve this are Murray, Djokovic and Nadal.

Rafa Nadal made his top ten debut on this date in 2005.  He’s still there today 17 years later and he hasn’t left it since. 

The King and Prince of Spanish tennis.

Last three teenagers?

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Last three teenagers?

Yeah, didn't make that clear in the post.  He has done it a year younger than Djokovic and Murray who were both 19.

Boris Becker was once directly behind me in a toilet queue. Could have been me.

It’s sad though - when I was a kid in the mid 80s I was really into football and tennis. My two biggest sporting heroes: Diego Maradona and Boris Becker. A pair of flawed geniuses.

The draw machine not kind for Andy Murray again in Madrid.  Thiem in the First Round, Shapovalov in the second and if he manages that Novak in the Third.

However Madrid is at altitude and he traditionally did better at Madrid than the other clay Masters including winning it.

That draw has also the potential of really opening up, as Djokovic isn’t playing well and Shapovalov can be allergic to clay at times.  I would imagine Djokovic would improve with every match played.

A potential of an apprentice Vs master battle in the QF as Alcaraz and Nadal are seeded to play each other.  

As for Becker being jailed he has always been involved in money making schemes, and dubious business adventures.  Not a surprise to see him fraudulently mis-declare assets to get out of paying someone some money.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/apr/29/boris-becker-jailed-two-years-for-hiding-assets-after-bankruptcy

Delighted to see that p***k Becker get a custodial. He should enjoy his time in the slammer though, given that there should be numerous opportunities for broom cupboard sex.