Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Yeah that’s a really disappointing result from Andy. I thought this was his best chance for a long time to go deep in a slam.
He got a very kind draw and he’s not even got past the second round.
That guy who’s just beat him in straight sets is a 28 year old qualifier who had never been past the second round of a slam, till today.
Andy didn’t look to be struggling physically or anything, it didn’t seem to be a fitness issue. It seemed to be an issue with his tennis. He just got beaten by a better player.
Fair play to him if he wants to keep going thorough the clay court season in the run up to the French, he clearly loves it.

Yeah that’s a really disappointing result from Andy. I thought this was his best chance for a long time to go deep in a slam.
He got a very kind draw and he’s not even got past the second round.
That guy who’s just beat him in straight sets is a 28 year old qualifier who had never been past the second round of a slam, till today.
Andy didn’t look to be struggling physically or anything, it didn’t seem to be a fitness issue. It seemed to be an issue with his tennis. He just got beaten by a better player.
Fair play to him if he wants to keep going thorough the clay court season in the run up to the French, he clearly loves it.
Andy must believe that he can still at least be competitive at this level, but the more he loses to guys like this the harder it is to see him reaching the second week of a slam, even with a kind draw.

Taro did to Andy Murray what Andy Murray has made a career out of.  Just giving his opponent one more ball to extract the error.

He made some easy errors coming forward and that really stopped that tactic.  The run last week has probably drained him physically, as he looked like he didn’t have much to give there today.

He no longer has the Duracell batteries in. I don’t think he would have got past Sinner anyway, but still a disappointing loss.  No doubt will play a few indoor tournaments, he’s got no points to defend until Wimbledon so has plenty of scope to get up the rankings.

To go deep at a slam, Andy really can’t be playing 5 physical matches the week before.

Unfortunately here this wasn’t really an option as he needs ranking points. I think looking back he’ll regard it as a positive trip to Australia overall and will realise fatigue just got the better of him - the exact same thing happened to Kokkinakis who won in Adelaide last week (except in the first round). The runner up from that tournament, Rinderknech, also went 5 in the first round and gave a W/O today v Evans.

Now he should have 3/4 weeks more training and onto the indoor’s and hard courts. Hopefully he’ll get more used to the changed racket and also I’d like to see him priortise his schedule around the bigger tournaments now given his ranking is improving and he will get wild cards anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if Murray decides to skip the clay altogether. Even in the good old days it wasn't a surface that was kind to his body and realistically it's the Slam that he's least likely to go far in especially if he gets pushed to 5 sets.

Amazing effort by Raducanu. She's been struggling with a blister on her racket hand. Her serve basically just got the point started and her forehands were mostly slices and drop shots because she couldn't get any power on that wing.

She showed a lot of tactical nous to try and cope with the liability. Augurs well for her going forward, disappointing though it was to go out.

Alcaraz is just going to utter destroy tennis in two years.  His game might not adjust to grass, but he’s going to have opportunities to win the others every season starting from the French this year.  He’ll be inside the top 16 seeds by then.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

Alcaraz is just going to utter destroy tennis in two years.  His game might not adjust to grass, but he’s going to have opportunities to win the others every season starting from the French this year.  He’ll be inside the top 16 seeds by then.

I still haven't seen him play!  I'll make a point of trying to watch him, when the AO gets on terrestial telly.

I don't know if it's the technology, but some of the players coming through just seem so powerful.  The likes of Thiem have big wind-ups to deliver the power (but boy is it power), but the likes of Berretini, just seem to flick the power!  When I watched the 'late bloomer' Karatsev v Murray, I couldn't believe the power he was generating off a short backhand swing.

That said, it's pushed my appreciation of Daniil up, he seems to be able to harness his opponents power and bamboozle them with his utterly ridiculous technique (I don't know how he gets away with it) 🤩

Personally, I'd like to see Rublev win, but I doubt it.  Failing that Felix AA.  Truth be told I'd like almost anyone other than Nadal.

Yours

aDONis

P.S. It's not that I don't like Nadal, it's just that I might have to admit that he's better than Federer (or even Pistol Pete)! 😆

I still haven't seen him play!  I'll make a point of trying to watch him, when the AO gets on terrestial telly.
I don't know if it's the technology, but some of the players coming through just seem so powerful.  The likes of Thiem have big wind-ups to deliver the power (but boy is it power), but the likes of Berretini, just seem to flick the power!  When I watched the 'late bloomer' Karatsev v Murray, I couldn't believe the power he was generating off a short backhand swing.
That said, it's pushed my appreciation of Daniil up, he seems to be able to harness his opponents power and bamboozle them with his utterly ridiculous technique (I don't know how he gets away with it) [emoji2956]. 
Personally, I'd like to see Rublev win, but I doubt it.  Failing that Felix AA.  Truth be told I'd like almost anyone other than Nadal.
Yours
aDONis
P.S. It's not that I don't like Nadal, it's just that I might have to admit that he's better than Federer (or even Pistol Pete)! [emoji38]

Hes certainly better than Pistol Pete