Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I think a lot of Zverev’s problems with the second serve was a change in trying to hit two first serves.  He’s now at a point where he finds himself in a service rhythm and he just fires out two first serves constantly.  His plus one shot after the serve is as good as anyones, he can lace it with forehand or backhand.  I don’t think he adapts to conditions or change in strategies, so I think a cleverer player will give him trouble.  But with his service so damn good now, there will be less opportunity.  That Turin court was so fast.

Casper Ruud is a good player but he is largely there as he went through the clay court tournaments post Wimbledon and won four in four weeks.

Tennis starts again for Murray on December 16th as he is playing in The Middle East.  QF against Thiem, winner plays Nadal.  Think it’s Rublev, Ruud and Shapo in the other half.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
4 hours ago, Left Back said:
Britain into the last 8 of the Davis cup with neither Murray brother in the team.

Pleased for Salisbury and Skupski to dig out the win. Disappointing weekend for Evans losing both his singles rubbers.

Evans won yesterday morning.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Misread the scores. Any idea when we last played without Andy or Jamie in the team?

Not a clue mate but for a long long time those two have been the only players we’ve had.

At the moment we have a good and a decent singles player and a more than decent doubles partnership I genuinely think we have a shot of winning this.  As a team it’s pretty strong.

Not a clue mate but for a long long time those two have been the only players we’ve had.
At the moment we have a good and a decent singles player and a more than decent doubles partnership I genuinely think we have a shot of winning this.  As a team it’s pretty strong.
Must admit I wasn't that confident about Norrie a few years ago but he's struck a rich vein of form at the moment. It's a pity Evans by his own admission didn't work as hard as he should have when he was younger, then obviously had the cocaine ban. He should have done more as he obviously does have talent.

On 28/11/2021 at 19:55, peasy23 said:
On 28/11/2021 at 19:49, Left Back said:

Misread the scores. Any idea when we last played without Andy or Jamie in the team?

It would be at the start of Leon Smith’s reign,  Andy stated that he would only play if GB were in the World Group, and Jamie’s double ranking had fallen dramatically.

The unlikely 3-2 comeback victory against Russia in 2013 had neither.  Murray then returned for the World Group playoff before getting his back surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy Murray has parted ways with Jamie Delgado it seems.

He was more influential in that 2016 period than Lendl IMO.  The fine tuning of the second serve on clay to make the French Open Final set him up for the rest of the year.

Great partnership but felt it ran its course more than a year ago.

Andy Murray lost a tight match to Andrey Rublev, the quickness of the court probably favoured Andrey.  Good three matches for Murray.  He’s using a different size of raquet head.  That may help him next season.

More alarming, Rafa Nadal tested positive for COVID today.  So would likely have picked it up in Abu Dhabi.  His recovery should be swift, but might not be able to play in Australia.  Murray played with him and practised with him.