Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

22 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Raducanu has gone from complete obscurity, to one of the most marketable athletes on the planet in the space of a couple of months.

A global superstar at 18 year old.

Yet to face a top 10 player yet though, I think.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Yet to face a top 10 player yet though, I think.

The rankings mean nothing currently due to the rules protecting players during COVID.  Bencic and Sakarri would be top 10 without.

As sad as Andrescu’s career has been since beating Serena two years ago, she only dropped those points on Monday. She’s been top ten throughout COVID despite rarely playing due to injury.  She was where Emma is now, so hopefully nothing like that happens to her.

She will be offered lots of money to play all the Chinese tournaments next year, plus she’ll be able to do post match interviews etc in mandarin.  

Anyway back to the grind of challenger circuit for the second most popular British player.  Currently a set and a break up against Yannik Maden. Possible QF against Gasquet and SF against Gilles Simon if he makes it that far.

That’s now confirmed that Murray will play the Metz Open next week.  I suspect he will then travel to America and play a 250 event before Indian Wells.  Will need a wild card for Indian Wells.

Emma Radacanu wasn’t in the top 108 when the cut off for entry was needed.  If they give her a wild card she will be seeded 

Murray got drop shorted to death in the first set 6-2 and has pulled it back 6-4.  Safiullin has now left court for a toilet break 😂

I have never seen this Russian play before I don’t think, but his drop shots are absolutely immense.  Not the spectacular Paire reverse bouncing ones, but well executed.  Good high quality match.

The tweaks he has made to his serve have really helped him.  He will hit the serve before and after the ball has reached its peak in the toss.  The toss isn't as far forward either.  This dropped off at the tail end of the third set when he tired, but with more matches that will improve.

San Diego next, then Indian Wells and then back to the scene of his last singles win.