Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

It's nothing about naivety.  You can not control how someone else describes a "nationality".  So why even bother being enraged by it?  Yes they may be doing it to deliberately incite or provoke a reaction, but it doesn't matter.  She's British, she's English and I dare say that she will feel Canadian, Chinese or Romanian at times.  To you and I she's a marvellous credit to British tennis.  To someone living in England she will be English.

However the most beautiful; thing is it may get people in England to think more openly about what it takes to be English.

The only times I ever thought of Andy Murray as British was when he was representing GB at the Davis Cup or in the Olympics.  All his other achievements were for Scottish Tennis only.

Most of Andy Murray's achievements were for Andy Murray alone. It's great to have someone to cheer on from approximately the same geographical location but it's singles tennis after all.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

That’s how I feel but like I said I don’t want to sidetrack this.  Did Andy being scottish make me happier?  Yep.  Does Emma being English make me less happy?  Nope.

Hope you can get where I’m coming from as I know it makes no logical sense.

It absolutely makes sense. If Emma had lost tonight I'd have been disappointed. It took me days to recover from some of Andy's losses and i was smiling for days after his triumphs. 😃

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It absolutely makes sense. If Emma had lost tonight I'd have been disappointed. It took me days to recover from some of Andy's losses and i was smiling for days after his triumphs. 😃

I also didn't feel this like I felt a Murray win. Whether that is because she isn't Scottish or that she just hasn't suffered the way Murray did.

It took so long for Andy to get over the hump and win one. And even the lesser titles he was picking up he was putting himself through it.

Raducanu in her 2nd grand slam skooshed it. Never looked under pressure. There was no relief that she finally won one because tbh I had completely forgot about her after Wimbledon. No one had invested themselves in following Emma Raducanu. 

2 hours ago, Loki said:

It is the whip of their pony tails hitting the back and shoulder area after their serving motion.  I bet you don't hear it in tomorrow's final.

Will listen out for it in the men's final. Felt like I was hearing it on both player's serves, and Fernandez didn't have long hair(well she usually does, but it looked short during the game)

Edit - seen a few people saying it's because of the position of the microphones, and it's actually just the noise of the players landing when serving. If it happens during the men's final, then I'll go with that answer 😂

Edited by alang1993

7 hours ago, alang1993 said:

Will listen out for it in the men's final. Felt like I was hearing it on both player's serves, and Fernandez didn't have long hair(well she usually does, but it looked short during the game)

Edit - seen a few people saying it's because of the position of the microphones, and it's actually just the noise of the players landing when serving. If it happens during the men's final, then I'll go with that answer 😂

I rewatched some of it there, it is definitely the planting of the forward foot after serving.  Fernandez lands heavier on it, so you were hearing the sound more often with her, and the mic at the top of the court must have been placed closer as it was certainly more prominent when serving from the top of the court (as you'd see it on TV).

You won't hear it tonight as all you'll hear is squeaking.