Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I missed this.  Is that what Raducanu said?  She's not going to look to a Jock for inspiration IMO, needs to be a fellow Nigel to keep the press happy.
It was because Henman was literally standing yards away from where she was serving, and she said she had spoken to him for advice while she has been in NY.

Watch you don't fall off that high horse..

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

It was because Henman was literally standing yards away from where she was serving, and she said she had spoken to him for advice while she has been in NY.

Watch you don't fall off that high horse..

I'm not on any horse, friend.  I just find it amusing that she was looking for advice from a serial bottler.  I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that.

I don’t think of Henman as a bottler he’s someone who maximised his talents.  The only one he potentially bottled would have been 2001, however a physically spent Ivanisevic was saved by the weather.  The next day he was greatly improved and Henman couldn’t quite reach the heights of the day before.  

I don’t really see the issue with Raducanu seeking support from Henman, he’s greatly supported her through her junior career and is a well known figure with LTA.

Andy Murray is currently coached by Mark Petchey and Jamie Delgado, he seeks inspiration from them. Go figure.

1 hour ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Not to be a dick because I'm a big fan of Henman and he gets some unfair stick, but the irony of looking to Tim for inspiration on the verge of getting to a grand slam final surely wasn't lost on anyone.

You wouldn't seek inspiration from Alex Ferguson for silky footballing skills either.

Henman happened to be in New York because he's working for Amazon and has been giving her advice, presumably for free. She, quite reasonably, thanked him for his help. Hardly some great anti-Scottish conspiracy.

It was the interviewer who brought up Henman because he was courtside. She's hardly going to call him a posh twat.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Two teenagers in the final, both guaranteed $1.25 million, with the winner getting $2.5 million. Imagine as a teenager being told, go play one tennis match and if you win I'll give you a million pounds!

I hope she continues her awesome run tomorrow, but no matter what matter what, it's been a fantastic tournament for her, and sets her up well for the future.

11 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Two teenagers in the final, both guaranteed $1.25 million, with the winner getting $2.5 million. Imagine as a teenager being told, go play one tennis match and if you win I'll give you a million pounds!

Yeah but she had to play 10 matches, I wouldn't get out of bed for that kind of money. :1eye Seriously though, presumably she'll be paying NY hotel prices for her entourage as well for a month and airfares, that would make a fair dent unless they get expenses on top.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yeah but she had to play 10 matches, I wouldn't get out of bed for that kind of money. :1eye Seriously though, presumably she'll be paying NY hotel prices for her entourage as well for a month and airfares, that would make a fair dent unless they get expenses on top.

What I was trying to say, is the incremental amount of money for that one game is frightening to me.

I don't begrudge her the money at all. She 'works' in an industry that if you have one bad match at the start of a tournament, you get nothing, but still have all your expenses. Other sportsmen like footballers are insulated from the reality of having to win to get paid.

Edited by Soapy FFC

2 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I don't begrudge her the money at all. She 'works' in an industry that if you have one bad match at the start of a tournament, you get nothing, but still have all your expenses. Other sportsmen like footballers are insulated from the reality of having to win to get paid.

She's unlikely to have to worry too much about that now with huge sponsorship deals no doubt coming her way, win or lose in the final. She'll be able to relax and just get on with the tennis.

3 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Not to be a dick because I'm a big fan of Henman and he gets some unfair stick, but the irony of looking to Tim for inspiration on the verge of getting to a grand slam final surely wasn't lost on anyone.

Least of all on Henman himself. I remember before Andy's first Wimbledon final Henman was getting interviewed on BBC, they asked him if he'd given any advice to Andy. He replied something like "what advice could I give him?"

He's a good guy. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The LTA have been financially supporting Raducanu, as they do with a lot of the emerging players. I wonder if that continues after they start making serious money.

https://www.lta.org.uk/play-compete/performance-tennis-players/player-pathway/pro-scholarship-programme/ 

There’s your first British US Open winner of 2021.
Joe Salisbury takes the men’s doubles title with American Rajeev Ram. Beating Murray/Soares in three from one set down. They took control in the second and there was no way back for Jamie and Bruno. All their service games seemed to be comfortable holds.
Hopefully not the last British US open winner of 2021.

Yeah fantastic semi. Novak has now lost the first set in the third round, fourth round, quarter and semi final and still won each of them. That’s the first time he’s been taken to five sets though. Zverev is a great player and I’m sure he will win multiple majors, but Djokovic is still better.
He will play Medvedev in the final going for a record breaking 21 slams. The Russian cruised through in straight sets against the Canadian Auger-Alliassime.
Feel like Medvedev has been the next big thing in tennis for years now. He’s now 25 and still without a major title. Will his first come against the GOAT? Unlikely, in his interview after the semi he didn’t seem to fancy himself against Djokovic much.