Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Fantastic stuff from Berrettini there, winning it on a tie break from 5-2 down. We are going to get a match here for sure.
Still think Novak is the favourite to win it, he was two sets down to Tsitsipas in the French open final last month before winning it in five after all.

I don’t recall a player making 19 unforced errors in a set and still taking a set from Novak.

Sums up the level they are both playing at. Both have a lot of upswing in their game to greatly improve.

Berretini continues with the unforced errors and Djokovic just makes sure he makes Berretini play another shot.  He now leads with a double break, and unless Berretini starts making his shots he could be down and out in the next twenty minutes.

Edited to add: by down and out I mean one set all and a break down in the third set.  Difficult to come back from there.  Federer is sitting at home right now asking why this Novak didn't turn up in 14. 15 or 19.

Edited by Loki

One set all then. Great match so far, keep thinking Novak is going to stretch his legs and take control but the Italian is hanging in there. Djokovic had to work hard for that set, even from 5-1 up.
Feel like Matteo needs the third set to have any chance here though, can’t see him winning this from 2-1 down.

Early consolidated break for Djokovic in the third. Looks like he’s getting in the mood now and moving through the gears. He’s really starting to read and return that big Italian serve.
Berretini needs a quick break back I think, or this could be over fairly quickly.

Another fairly routine slam from Novak, only dropped two sets the entire tournament.
Think he played within himself throughout, there was always another gear there if he was in trouble. He never was though, so he didn’t need it.
That’s his third title here in a row and he would surely already be on 21 slams if COVID hadn’t stopped Wimbledon in 2020.
No matter, I’m sure he will win the US next month and go ahead Nadal and Fed to clarify his status as the all time goat - as long as he doesn’t try to decapitate any line judges.
These young 20 something guys will surely start beating him some day, but it’s fairly hard to see it happening any time soon. They seem to fear him.
He’s in great shape and he looks like he’s got at least another couple of years at this level in him. I think he is going to end up on 25+ slams, 30 is certainly not out of reach.

Another fairly routine slam from Novak, only dropped two sets the entire tournament.
Think he played within himself throughout, there was always another gear there if he was in trouble. He never was though, so he didn’t need it.
That’s his third title here in a row and he would surely already be on 21 slams if COVID hadn’t stopped Wimbledon in 2020.
No matter, I’m sure he will win the US next month and go ahead Nadal and Fed to clarify his status as the all time goat - as long as he doesn’t try to decapitate any line judges.
These young 20 something guys will surely start beating him some day, but it’s fairly hard to see it happening any time soon. They seem to fear him.
He’s in great shape and he looks like he’s got at least another couple of years at this level in him. I think he is going to end up on 25+ slams, 30 is certainly not out of reach.

30 is way out of reach, tbh I think he will finish on 23-24.
And sue barker so unprofessional with question re. Football. Joker made her look like an idiot although not that hard.
And please can Andrew Castle stop commentating. Brings absolutely nothing but suspicion

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Is Novak going to Tokyo?

He could win a Golden Slam, only Steffi Graf has done that before.

I believe he is, sure it was mentioned before/during the match today.

That had an air of a Murray v Djokovic in a slam final.  Murray wins the first set which wakes the Serb up and it becomes a routine win after that.