Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

That was a really uplifting and enjoyable performance by Emma. Good mental strength at key points too with superb shots played, when at losing the long game at 5-3 in 2nd set, she might have crumbled and lost the set. Instead she had the steel and skill to win.

A star hopefully has been born today and she deserves her success. A lovely, pleasant personality too shone through in her interview.

7 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Yes, British tennis has a new star.

Although born in Toronto to a Chinese mother and a Romanian father

So? She moved to Britain when she was two. She's hardly Greg Rusedksi.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Yes, British tennis has a new star.
Although born in Toronto to a Chinese mother and a Romanian father
As noted above she's been in London since she was 2 & no mistaking that from her accent when interviewed.

I'd think if you happened to be born somewhere but have no memory of ever being there - see Shaun Maloney being born in Malaysia - then I'm sure you'd think of yourself as being from the country where you grew up.

1 minute ago, cdhafc1874 said:

As noted above she's been in London since she was 2 & no mistaking that from her accent when interviewed.

I'd think if you happened to be born somewhere but have no memory of ever being there - see Shaun Maloney being born in Malaysia - then I'm sure you'd think of yourself as being from the country where you grew up.

Okay fair enough.

Shame the family hadn't landed in Scotland when they arrived in the UK.

46 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

So? She moved to Britain when she was two. She's hardly Greg Rusedksi.

Or Zola Budd.

I'm just wondering how, under Priti Patel's Brexit oriented UK, a similar mixed race family from anywhere in the world would fare when applying for UK residency. 

10 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I know he's richer than Croesus, but keeping that entourage on the payroll with next to no prize money coming in must seem a bit silly after a while.

His sponsorship income probably comfortably covers those wages. But aye, it's a big team and they're among the best at what they do so they can't be cheap.

5 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Federer through against Norrie.

Norrie looked utter class for long stretches of that. Composed, great shot selection, solid and brave execution under pressure, gutsy comebacks when a break down, scorching backhands. I'm not sure there's a major title in him, but he should definitely pick up a 250 or maybe a 500 if he keeps playing like this.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

His sponsorship income probably comfortably covers those wages. But aye, it's a big team and they're among the best at what they do so they can't be cheap.

Norrie looked utter class for long stretches of that. Composed, great shot selection, solid and brave execution under pressure, gutsy comebacks when a break down, scorching backhands. I'm not sure there's a major title in him, but he should definitely pick up a 250 or maybe a 500 if he keeps playing like this.

Federer still pretty good given that he's just 1 month short of his 40th birthday.

Be interesting to see how far he can go.

On 02/07/2021 at 07:42, TheScarf said:

Andy Murray is a Scotland’s greatest ever sportsperson. Not whoever the f**k your think is.

Put some respect on Jim Clark’s name please, whoever he is and whatever sport it was he played. 

Some shout to be heralding him as Scotlands greatest ever sportsman when 95% of the country don’t have a clue who he is. For someone to be considered as Scotland’s greatest ever, I would put ‘people knowing who he is’ high up on the list of qualities needed. 

Edit - Just seen he was a racing driver, driving a car is not a sport. I’m sure it’s not easy, and would be mentally and physically demanding, but if me and my friend were to race around the backroads at 120mph I wouldn’t jump out the motor and say I had just played a sport. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

On 03/07/2021 at 14:20, TheScarf said:

It’s always bugged me that the BBC never show the previous set scores and just the number of sets won.

Why? I like it. I can see at a glance who's winning that way. I don't need to know how previous sets were won.

Edited by Mr Heliums

8 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Why? I like it. I can see at a glance who's winning that way. I don't need to know how previous sets were won.

Because I like to see the previous set scores. It gives you an idea of how the match is going.

Ons Jabeur being a slam killer on the route to the quarter finals.  Beats Venus, Muguruza and now Swiatek.  She was superb, the variety in her game is just great to watch.

Put some respect on Jim Clark’s name please, whoever he is and whatever sport it was he played. 

Some shout to be heralding him as Scotlands greatest ever sportsman when 95% of the country don’t have a clue who he is. For someone to be considered as Scotland’s greatest ever, I would put ‘people knowing who he is’ high up on the list of qualities needed. 

Edit - Just seen he was a racing driver, driving a car is not a sport. I’m sure it’s not easy, and would be mentally and physically demanding, but if me and my friend were to race around the backroads at 120mph I wouldn’t jump out the motor and say I had just played a sport. 
"physically demanding"...."not a sport"

Right you are chief. [emoji2357]