Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Forty minutes ago folk on here were retiring him. Never forget his massive balls.

If he can recover well enough the next round is eminently winnable. Shapovalov should have too much for him but so what, it's so good to see him back and able to do mad Murray things.

He's never been an easy watch, has he? Still great to see him back winning again at Wimbledon, even if we did have that mini-meltdown in the third set.

Next round is a favourable draw, and who knows? A comfortable win there and maybe he can start to build some momentum. I don't think he'll go particularly deep, but still gong to enjoy having the great man back competing at Slams again.

47 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Worth saying, Wimbledon started a week later this year than usual.

No it didn’t. It started the week it was meant to.  The French Open pushed back one week.  The grass season was pushed back a number of years ago to these weeks.

Anyway, despite the mental collapse in the third set that was largely positive.  If he can remain serving as well as the first two sets he will have a chance in the third round against Shapo.

His next opponent has to come back tomorrow and finish their match which is currently 9-9 in the fifth and stopped for the night.

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

No it didn’t. It started the week it was meant to.  The French Open pushed back one week.  The grass season was pushed back a number of years ago to these weeks.

Just checked and it was 2015 it changed, so this is the 5th championships with the later start. I'd thought they changed it much more recently. I'm blaming old age.

11 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

He's never been an easy watch, has he?

Dunno, all three titles he's won at Wimbledon were in straight sets, as was his ATP finals win. When he won the Davis Cup he only dropped 2 sets in his 8 singles matches, and none in the semi or final.

Not to say he hasn't regularly put us through the mill but he's hardly Tim Henman!

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Just checked and it was 2015 it changed, so this is the 5th championships with the later start. I'd thought they changed it much more recently. I'm blaming old age.

**Andy Murray voice** 6th championships 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Dunno, all three titles he's won at Wimbledon were in straight sets, as was his ATP finals win. When he won the Davis Cup he only dropped 2 sets in his 8 singles matches, and none in the semi or final.

Not to say he hasn't regularly put us through the mill but he's hardly Tim Henman!

That first Wimbledon title (not the Olympics) was one of the toughest watches, even if it was straight sets!

You're probably right in that we've watched an awful lot of straightforward wins in Andy's career, and have definitely been spoiled by him. Doesn't mean he hasn't chucked a few awful games/sets/matches in there along the way. More understandable today than it was back when he was in his prime, mind you.

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

That first Wimbledon title (not the Olympics) was one of the toughest watches, even if it was straight sets!

You're probably right in that we've watched an awful lot of straightforward wins in Andy's career, and have definitely been spoiled by him. Doesn't mean he hasn't chucked a few awful games/sets/matches in there along the way. More understandable today than it was back when he was in his prime, mind you.

Even in those title wins he was two sets down to Verdasco in the QF.  In 2016 he chucked away a two set lead against Tsonga in the QF.  In his US Open win he was a set and two breaks down to Cilic in the last 16.  

In the ATP finals he was match point down to Raonic in the semi final.  Also took more than 3.5 hours to get past Nishikori.

He very rarely won the first set in Slam semi finals.  I think the Murray roller coaster has always been there.  I think his struggles in matches are the norm.  He isn’t as good as Federer, Djokovic or Nadal and I feel he gets judged against their standards.

3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Even in those title wins he was two sets down to Verdasco in the QF.  In 2016 he chucked away a two set lead against Tsonga in the QF.  In his US Open win he was a set and two breaks down to Cilic in the last 16.  

In the ATP finals he was match point down to Raonic in the semi final.  Also took more than 3.5 hours to get past Nishikori.

He very rarely won the first set in Slam semi finals.  I think the Murray roller coaster has always been there.  I think his struggles in matches are the norm.  He isn’t as good as Federer, Djokovic or Nadal and I feel he gets judged against their standards.

I think this is probably the key. It feels like he's had a lot of clangers, but I'd imagine if we'd watched every match in the career of a Berdych, Tsonga or Cilic who I'd say sit in the tier below Murray, they've probably been even worse in that regard.

It's been a privilege, though, even if we've occasionally had to put up with him labouring past the likes of Viktor Troicki in the 3rd round at the French.

17 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I think it's because we're so invested. When you watch the matches again he was always ahead of Federer in 2012 (and Djokovic in the semis), and of Djokovic in 2013. But when he lost those three match points in 2013 we all thought he was going to lose!

He usually coasted through the early rounds as easily as the big 3, but yes, especially in a 5 setter he could have a shitty half hour and have to dig himself back out.

Never anything like that third set tonight though. I can't recall ever seeing anyone lose a set from 5-0 without being injured - and definitely not to go on and win the match.

I think my favourite laboured victories in slams was his 2016 run to the French Open final.  Two sets down to Stepanek in Round One and the two sets to one down to Mathiaus Bourgue in Round 2.

13 minutes ago, Loki said:

To me those matches don't really lead to criticisms, they show his strength. He's never had the natural talent of the big 3 and really he never had much more than the chasing pack. Good players having a really good match were always going to trouble him. He didn't have a surface on which he could stand out, unlike the other 3. But he had more determination not to lose than anyone else on the tour, and nobody trained harder either.

His flakes cost him sets but rarely matches. From his first QF in a slam, at Wimbledon in 2008 only once in any slam did he lose before the last 16 until his injury in 2017. Only 6 times in 36 slams did he not make the quarters at least, and it happened only once in 6 years 2011-2016 (to Kevin Anderson at the US Open. It's incredible consistency. You look at Wawrinka with his 3 slams, he has nothing like that record.

I've always thought the distinctions among the big 4 were that Federer was the best player, Djokovic the best athlete, Nadal had the most will to win and Murray most hated to lose. Very Scottish tbh.

Three slams from 11 finals, two Olympics, a Davis Cup, an ATP Finals, world number 1 (for the 14th most weeks), 7 of the 9 Masters titles, in the toughest era ever in men's tennis, and unquestionably cut short at the top by injury. We've seen him beat Federer on grass, Djokovic on hard court and Nadal on clay. It's been a privilege to follow.

How Basilashvili is feeling right now:

215133-2.jpg

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

First week of Wimbledon used to be the last week of school. Second week was in the Kilmarnock fair and we'd be watching it on holiday somewhere. In the case of the Borg v McEnroe tie break, the window of Radio Rentals in Monmouth.