Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

24 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I've forgotten how much of a dick Andrew Castle is... indicating that many of Murray injuries are in his head.
Arsehole

Aye Andrew, he’s chosen to miss 3 years of competitive tennis as he just thinks he’s injured.

I am glad I pay my Amazon subscription and don’t have to put up with Andrew Castle.  He’s only there for the two week casuals.

I thought Murray was fine today, decent movement, tactically he’s still very much there.  First serve went missing at times, but that’s just the usual.

Paire was Paire.  Some outrageous shots followed by utter guff.  Good that he was out of there in just over an hour.  Berretini next.  A good test against the number one seed.

On 13/06/2021 at 16:49, Loki said:

Andy Murray remains the only player to straight set Novak in a slam final.

On 13/06/2021 at 20:30, TheScarf said:

That’s a great stat and one I’ve never thought of before.

On 14/06/2021 at 00:19, GordonS said:

Murray's also never lost a set to Djokovic on grass. Only met twice, mind, but Murray's record on the surface is pretty outstanding. 84% win rate, 85% at Wimbledon, 2 slams, 1 slam runner-up, 1 Olympics and 5 wins at Queens, plus 2 singles and a doubles win in a Davis Cup semi final.

Another closely connected stat is that 9 of his 46 singles titles have been won in London - those grass titles, plus the ATP Final.

Unfortunately not true. Federer defeated him 7-6 7-6 6-4 in the 2007 US open final (Djokovic's first major final) and Rafa beat him 6-0 6-2 7-5 at Roland Garros last year.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Unfortunately not true. Federer defeated him 7-6 7-6 6-4 in the 2007 US open final (Djokovic's first major final) and Rafa beat him 6-0 6-2 7-5 at Roland Garros last year.

Can I add on a Sunday afternoon in London to it? 

That’s two cracking wins for Draper.  Fully deserves his wild card for Wimbledon.  Andy Murray also confirmed as a wild card recipient.  Venus Williams gets one on the women’s side.

27 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
34 minutes ago, GiGi said:
Berrettini serving masterclass here. Every other serve is a 140 odd mph bullet on the lines. 

A few loose shots from Murray, looking fine physically, needs matches to get the sharpness up.

Murray looks knackered in the second set. His serve has slowed down.

It's hard to see him being competitive in a Wimbledon 5-setter against a top 20 player.

Murray looks knackered in the second set. His serve has slowed down.
It's hard to see him being competitive in a Wimbledon 5-setter against a top 20 player.
Yep, looked to get very tired very quickly right after I posted. [emoji85]

Berretini was pretty good, his last grass season he won Stuttgart, made the semi final in Halle and lost to Federer at Wimbledon.  So he certainly knows how to play. His serve was at a level even peak Murray would have struggled with.

If he wants to get more games he should take a wild card into Eastbourne.  His level currently looks about top 20-50, he will need a lot of help in the Wimbledon draw if he is to do some damage there.