Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

• 4 weeks later...

According to the German tennis federation, there will be a board meeting at the All England club tomorrow and they will then announce that Wimbledon will be completely cancelled this year. As it's on grass they would have a very limited window when it could be played, and the French have already jumped to rearrange their Open for just after the US Open.

The ATP aren't happy with the French as their new dates clash with tournaments already on the calendar.

According to the German tennis federation, there will be a board meeting at the All England club tomorrow and they will then announce that Wimbledon will be completely cancelled this year. As it's on grass they would have a very limited window when it could be played, and the French have already jumped to rearrange their Open for just after the US Open.

The ATP aren't happy with the French as their new dates clash with tournaments already on the calendar.
Shite. If any of them should be catered for its Wimbledon. Wimbledon is 10x the tournament Roland Garros will ever be.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/04/2020 at 21:59, peasy23 said:

Andy Murray signs up for virtual Madrid Open - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/52236523

On 10/04/2020 at 13:30, DublinMagyar said:
On 09/04/2020 at 21:59, peasy23 said:
Andy Murray signs up for virtual Madrid Open - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/52236523

18 months out for thumb resurfacing

Murray wins the virtual Madrid Open.  SOME BOI

• 1 month later...

I started watching the match but gave up, definitely a bit strange.  Obviously the courts arent as deep as what would normally be expected, so Andy had difficulty retrieving some balls as he couldn't go deep behind the baseline.

A comfortable win and served well.  Edmund tomorrow might be a bit too much if he hits the forehand well.  I'd fully expect him to beat Ward comfortable and make the semis.

Novak was a prize idiot.  I have watched some of his Instagram interviews and he has some very controversial views about health and healing.  He probably thought he wouldn't get it.

Depending on how badly he gets it, it could have an effect on his stamina in a match if he was to get lung damage.

Hopefully Dimitrov, Coric and Djokovic have speedy recoveries.

On 24/06/2020 at 23:33, Distant Doonhamer said:

Murray loses to Edmund in 3 sets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/53172172

It was really only two normal sets plus a long tie-break. 

Murray is still a long way from proving that he can beat top players, even those in the top 30,  in a best of 5 sets match.

Sadly, I think that he's done at the top level. 

Judy Murray attacks Boris Becker - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/53250992

"I'm not sure I'll ever forgive Boris Becker for that," she said. He's never apologised. I don't think he would ever understand what he made me feel like. I called him out on it a couple of years later. I thought it was right to let him know how much damage he had caused by doing something like that."

"Boris Becker is such a huge figure in tennis and I thought, 'people will think he knows what he's talking about, they're going to think that's my fault'. And actually, I hardly ever went to the tournaments. Most players have their parents or their families with them at the Grand Slams. Those are the events where you need the most emotional support. It's incredibly important."

This is what she objected to February 2011. 

"Andy Murray returns to action on Wednesday after his Australian Open final defeat, with Boris Becker questioning whether he should distance himself from his mother Judy in order to win a Grand Slam.  The three-times Wimbledon champion suggested Murray may need to shed his entourage and employ an experienced mentor to push him towards being a Major winner."

Boris Becker did know what he was talking about and events proved him right 100%. Murray appointed Ivan Lendl as his coach later in 2011. He then won the Olympics and the US Open the following year. Then Murray won Wimbledon in 2013. 

Becker has no need to apologise for anything. If winning those tournaments is "damage" that he caused, it was well worth it. In fact, if Murray had brought in Lendl earlier, he could have won more Grand Slams. Thank you Boris!

59 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It was really only two normal sets plus a long tie-break. 

Murray is still a long way from proving that he can beat top players, even those in the top 30,  in a best of 5 sets match.

Sadly, I think that he's done at the top level. 

Good point. 

Hope you're wrong re top level but fear you could be correct. Time will tell I guess.

Murray having his comeback stunted by covid was probably the final nail for him st the very top level tbh. You cant stand still or go backwards at his stage of career with all the setbacks and still go back to the top. Not when there is the top guys still there plus the next crop of younger fitter and maybe hungrier guys you have to overcome too.

Still, sum fucking boi.

Watching Andy's greatest moments on BBC1 just now. The boy is just magnificent. 3 Grand Slams, 2 Olympic Golds, and he was World Number 1 in an era dominated by 3 of the 4 greatest players ever (Laver's record surely puts him in with a shout). Also a further 8 Grand Slam finals, and the only 2 players to beat him at that stage are Federer and Djokovic.

He is Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson by a country mile, and if you disagree (a) you are wrong, and (b) you better start heading for Ruel Street, and you can pick your maw up on the way.