Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Guest thefamousphilosifer
Just noticed that Murray was born on May 15, 1987, the day before Mirren won the Scottish Cup!

That surely makes him an honourable Buddie?? :unsure: B)

Are any Buddies actually honourable?

Murray took the greatest street fighter in the tennis world to 5 sets and the only difference apart from fitness between them was on a few big points. He's made huge progress in recent months and todays game really highlighted that. Proof also that with a bit more experience and hard work that he has the game to win a grand slam.

Here to help.

Guest Tomsk The Beano
Bet you were worried during the 4th set though... :lol:

Not at all, Murray always bottles it against the top 10. :lol:

Just people like Stewarty look on every tie he plays as some sort of Scottish nationalist Nuremburg rally where as I see it as a chance to make money of a sure thing.

Guest BullyWee1878
Nadal is owning the bottle merchant.

So apt for you to be talking about Bottle Merchants when you have a picture of Paul Hay as your avatar.

Guest The Phoenix

Tomsk - Yer talking pish. :lol:

Murray is still rising in the rankings and will without doubt be a top ten player himself in the not too distant future. :D

Try this question for size and see if it helps your understanding which as Stewarty points out is sadly lacking -

Name a player outside the Top Ten who doesn't struggle against a Top Ten Player? :unsure:

(Clue - the Top Ten Players are in the Top Ten for a very good reason - they tend to beat players outside the Top Ten) :rolleyes:

Here to help.

Not really convinced fitness had much to do with it, Murray himself has already said it wasnt an issue today. Nadal has more experience and on a few of the big points it showed.

Overall though an excellent performance by Murray, if he keeps working hard and improving he can have a very good year. Anybody who calls him a bottle merchant probably knows nothing about tennis.

Edited by Waspie

Not really convinced fitness had much to do with it, Murray himself has already said it wasnt an issue today. Nadal has more experience and on a few of the big points it showed.

Overall though an excellent performance by Murray, if he keeps working hard and improving he can have a very good year. Anybody who calls him a bottle merchant probably knows nothing about tennis.

I would agree with those sentiments. Murray didn't really seem to struggle too much physically, however his shot selection was strange on a few key points. Probably the most important one was when he was a break down in the 4th he played a shot when he had a break point against the Nadal serve, that looked like Nadal had knocked wide, he subsequently hit the shot and knocked it out. Had he let that bounce I believe Murray would have won the match.

You can't afford to only convert 3/17 break points against a top 5 player like Nadal ( who I genuinely don't think is the 2nd best player in the world.)

Who is better? :blink:

I'm not entirely sure as I haven't watched all of the worlds top players in great depth, but everytime I've seen Nadal he hasn't done anything to show me that he's world number 2. He is very inconsistent, maybe at his best he is THAT good, but I've never seen it. He's not played in a final since Wimbledon and hasn't won a title since Roland Garros.

He's no better than Roddick from what I've seen, and Roddick is one dimensional.

He's no better than Roddick from what I've seen, and Roddick is one dimensional.

He's got a lot more to his game than Roddick though. People seem to forget he's still young as well, only a year older than Murray.

Fabolous player when he's on form, only Federer is better, so to that end, I'd say he's the 2nd best player in the world right now.

He's been injured for a while though. I think he'll be number 1 before long. Federer is starting to get more and more mouthy and I think it's because he's getting frustrated because there are people who are starting to challenge him for the first time in his career.

He's got a lot more to his game than Roddick though. People seem to forget he's still young as well, only a year older than Murray.

Fabolous player when he's on form, only Federer is better, so to that end, I'd say he's the 2nd best player in the world right now.

Maybe you're correct, but I don't think Nadal will be world number 2 at this point next year. He had a start to the season last year, he won everything on clay but once the season turned away from clay he struggled.

He is young and will only get better on grass and hard courts, but is a player who has a decent ( but no better ) record on the non-clay surfaces really be consisdered world number 2?

Maybe you're correct, but I don't think Nadal will be world number 2 at this point next year. He had a start to the season last year, he won everything on clay but once the season turned away from clay he struggled.

He is young and will only get better on grass and hard courts, but is a player who has a decent ( but no better ) record on the non-clay surfaces really be consisdered world number 2?

I think so, like Stewarty says he has far more about his game than Roddick. He is awesome on clay and should once again clean up the big titles on that surface over the next few months. His game is also pretty effective on hard courts and as you say he will only get better on that surface. Guys who were as good on clay but weaker on other courts have been number 1.

I think Murray on todays performance would have beaten almost anybody but Federer or Nadal, it was genuine top class tennis and thats whats so encouraging despite the defeat.

it was genuine top class tennis and thats whats so encouraging despite the defeat.

There was a backhand lob Murray did in the middle of the 5 in a row he lost during the second set that was unbelievable. John Lloyd got it spot on when he said, 'That was just world class'.