Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Just finished watching Resurfacing. I was amazed at the level of access the film makers were given, especially as Andy has always kept his children out of the public eye. Lesser men would have chucked it long ago, or gone for the metal hip and just thought they would take it easy from then on. Andy was on the One Show last week and admitted that this was a very different documentary from the original intention. Filming was only supposed to be for a few months to film his recovery and return after the first hip op, but that didn't go at all to plan. He said if they had known what was going to happen months down the line then he almost certainly wouldn't have let them film it.

One thing I found strange was how long it took for Andy or his team to even discuss the hip replacement.  Even months after his first operation, and then after all the pain reducing measures he'd taken, he could still barely walk and there was still nobody saying "I think you need a hip replacement". It seemed to be Andy himself who looked into it and then convinced himself that was what he needed to do. Is that solely because so much could go wrong with a hip replacement that nobody wanted to suggest it? Just feel he could've saved himself a few months of pain at least if he'd perhaps been pushed towards the hip replacement a little earlier.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

One thing I found strange was how long it took for Andy or his team to even discuss the hip replacement.  Even months after his first operation, and then after all the pain reducing measures he'd taken, he could still barely walk and there was still nobody saying "I think you need a hip replacement". It seemed to be Andy himself who looked into it and then convinced himself that was what he needed to do. Is that solely because so much could go wrong with a hip replacement that nobody wanted to suggest it? Just feel he could've saved himself a few months of pain at least if he'd perhaps been pushed towards the hip replacement a little earlier.

I think it was always viewed as an option for once he was done playing, to improve his quality of life post tennis. I think that's why it took so long to go for it.

I think it was presumed that having the Hip replaced/resurfaced would restrict his movement far too much to compete professionally again. Only a small number of surgeons were willing to suggest it could work, however, other may not have wanted to gamble with their reputation. I think the idea really grew in Andy’s mind when Bob Brian proved he could return to high-level doubles, pain free.

Watching a documentary on BBC Alba just now on Elena Baltacha. Really fascinating and good to see Sergei senior and junior. 
Young Sergei had a spell at Petershill, he was plagued with injuries but he was a smashing big guy, and when he was fit he was a cracking player.

I'm going for the tears and snotters double and watching Doddie Weir after this.

Very hard to watch at the end. 
You just wonder how much more she could have achieved in her playing career if she hadn't had to put up with that liver complaint, she certainly wasn't lacking in competitive spirit. An absolute tragedy, 30 is no age at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Sensationalist headlines - he wasn't even in the Australian Open to start with.    Once he pulled out of the ATP Cup he was never playing best of five straight in.

I can only echo what others have said above - the documentaries on both Murray and Baltacha were fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
Crazy that this was allowed to go ahead tbh.

As a few folk have mentioned in the replies, that's gross negligence from the organisers. The daily air quality report was very poor, with the advice not to exercise outdoors, yet they thought going ahead wuth the qualifiers was a good idea.

• 1 month later...

Just call it a day, no one wants to see him slogging about with guys he would have swatted aside in his prime, and he doesn't need the cash.

Have whatever hip surgery he needs to live as a "normal" 30-odd year old bloke and decide what's the next stage of his life, coaching / punditry / something outside tennis.

Murray coming back and winning Queen's doubles and then European Open were great moments. No shame in calling it a day if he has to. He gave it a great go and it wasn't guaranteed that he'd ever come back even close to where he was. 

Performing in an era with 3 GOATs and coming out with the level of success he's had is nothing short of spectacular. What a man.