Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

A very generous game from Murray in the sixth of the second means it finishes 6-0 6-1.  Sibille was playing his first senior match, having only played the Futures tour previously.  Murray will play Gambos either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Edited by Loki

Sibille looked like a wee boy playing his dad, going for the big shots all the time, and as you say, the game he won was generous, although there were a few games earlier where he had got himself well into points only to chuck them away with silly errors.

Hopefully he learned plenty from the experience.

Andy papped out in 3 sets tonight.

Looked to me as if he was struggling a bit physically, particularly with his movement, after winning the first set. Could be his legs were a bit heavy after his exertions this week.

Looked decent enough in the first set and would undoubtedly have won if he'd maintained that level.

Good match time for him though and all part of building towards next year.

Looked to me as if he was struggling a bit physically, particularly with his movement, after winning the first set. Could be his legs were a bit heavy after his exertions this week.
Looked decent enough in the first set and would undoubtedly have won if he'd maintained that level.
Do you think he'll make it back to the top?

16 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
42 minutes ago, gmca said:

No

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:
10 hours ago, gmca said:

Too early to say for definite. There were glimpses of the talent that took him there, but he mostly didn't set points up very well, was fairly passive and didn't counter punch as well as he used to.

But he knows he needs match time and to improve physically, so, if he can do both of those, the natural talent could take him back competing at a high level.

• 3 weeks later...
So, does anyone have any predictions of where they think Murray will get to ?
Top 10, top 16, top 50 ?

Personally I think he'll struggle to make top 100 then he'll retire.

I really hope I'm wrong though.

He's in a vicious circle at the moment, can't win games because he isn't up to full fitness, and can't get up to full fitness because he isn't playing enough games. I think he gives it his best shot through the winter and if he isn't getting close enough to where he wants to be by the time the clay season comes around, then I fear he might throw in the towel. There is no way he will keep playing if he can't get near winning tourneys.

He's in a vicious circle at the moment, can't win games because he isn't up to full fitness, and can't get up to full fitness because he isn't playing enough games. I think he gives it his best shot through the winter and if he isn't getting close enough to where he wants to be by the time the clay season comes around, then I fear he might throw in the towel. There is no way he will keep playing if he can't get near winning tourneys.
I pretty much agree. This winter, including his training camp will pretty much make him or break him I think.

Good match today. Looked understandably tired throughout. Just needs a run matches.

He's being too conservative though. It is like watching Murray before he won his first slam.

All the signs are good. Movement looks fine.
That's the big thing for me. His movement is fine and he's still fast. I thought out of everything his movement would suffer but I suppose he was about the best in business so 90% movement is great.
Hopefully he can get as fit as he was because if Murray can't grind opponents down he'll lose a lot more than he used to.

Has been drawn against US Open semi finalist Berretini in the first round of Beijing.

Alex De Minaur went on to win the trophy yesterday, so he is definitely playing a good level. Just needs to be a bit stronger, his serve has improved greatly since the US hard court season.

Has been drawn against US Open semi finalist Berretini in the first round of Beijing.

Alex De Minaur went on to win the trophy yesterday, so he is definitely playing a good level. Just needs to be a bit stronger, his serve has improved greatly since the US hard court season.
Hopefully he can win another couple of games before he hits Miami for his winter training camp.