Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

In the end it was an okay performance for his first game back.  Gasquet used the angles in the court to move Murray about and extract errors due to being out of match practice.  Movement looked good although did look slow moving forward.

Probably a good thing that he is skipping the singles at the US Open, but he will probably play Winston-Salem next week.  He just needs match practice and then to see where he is at the end of this year.

27 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Why does he not play 250s or something. Ain't going to get match practice at the big ones.

I was thinking that.  Even drop down to challengers for a few months.  It would be like the equivalent of a Premiership player going on loan for 3 months to a Championship team after being out for a year with knee ligament damage.

Utterly pointless getting papped out in the first round of big tournaments then not playing again for 6 weeks.

Why does he not play 250s or something. Ain't going to get match practice at the big ones.

As said above he’s considering playing Winston Salem. That could be ideal for him as 250s the week before a slam often have much weaker fields, giving him a better chance to earn some points/defend his Us Open 2018 points.

His next two tournaments will be 250s. Then Beijing will be a 500. No doubt he will play Shanghai and then play 250s in the European indoor swing again.

I’d doubt he will drop to challenger level, there is no point. He’s wanting to return to the top of the game, so he wouldn’t learn much playing people outside the top 100.

He needs match practice, regardless of the level of opposition.  Challengers may be a bit low level, but he needs a run of 3 or 4 matches in a week.  Not getting pumped out first round of a big tournament, which he probably still will do in Winston-Salem and in Asia too along with Cincy this week.

Yep, or GS qualifiers.  3 rounds of best of 3.

His next two tournaments will be 250s. Then Beijing will be a 500. No doubt he will play Shanghai and then play 250s in the European indoor swing again.

I’d doubt he will drop to challenger level, there is no point. He’s wanting to return to the top of the game, so he wouldn’t learn much playing people outside the top 100.

Nothing to do with learning. He doesn't need to learn anything at this stage. He needs a run of games regardless of whether they're top 100 or not.

He needs to learn how to rotate through his body. He needs to learn what stresses the hip can take. He can’t learn that playing players he can beat by sleepwalkingat 70% power and being accurate.

Gasquet was a great first match as he pulled him all over the court. By the end of the match he was hitting harder and dictating more points.

Challenger level will hone his serve and give him some match fitness for very little ranking points. He’s better just looking at the entry lists and asking for wild cards.

Vulturing a ranking until the point he is competitive again. Like his exhausting run at the end of 2014

He needs to learn how to rotate through his body. He needs to learn what stresses the hip can take. He can’t learn that playing players he can beat by sleepwalkingat 70% power and being accurate.

Gasquet was a great first match as he pulled him all over the court. By the end of the match he was hitting harder and dictating more points.

Challenger level will hone his serve and give him some match fitness for very little ranking points. He’s better just looking at the entry lists and asking for wild cards.

Vulturing a ranking until the point he is competitive again. Like his exhausting run at the end of 2014

Think you severely underestimate the challenger tour. Hyeon Chung is coming back from injury also atm and it’s been great for him to get 7 or 8 match wins in a row despite having some very tricky matches at first

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Think you severely underestimate the challenger tour. Hyeon Chung is coming back from injury also atm and it’s been great for him to get 7 or 8 match wins in a row despite having some very tricky matches at first

It's certainly as challenging as Slam qualifiers and he'd have a huge target on his back in every match.

I’m not under rating the challenger tour. I know how good it is, I watch challenger tour events constantly.

The difference between Murray and Chung is Murray still has ambitions of winning big tournaments. Chung has flirted with that level occasionally.

Chung can’t command wild cards for any tournament he wants. Murray can. His route back to the top will happen quicker playing top 20 opponents.

Anyway if he wins tonight he will face his brother in the next round.

4 hours ago, Loki said:

I’m not under rating the challenger tour. I know how good it is, I watch challenger tour events constantly.

The difference between Murray and Chung is Murray still has ambitions of winning big tournaments. Chung has flirted with that level occasionally.

Chung can’t command wild cards for any tournament he wants. Murray can. His route back to the top will happen quicker playing top 20 opponents.

Anyway if he wins tonight he will face his brother in the next round.

Murray might only be flirting with it now, who knows, the points for the better challengers aren't that bad for 2 or 3 tournaments to get him up to speed.