Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Sad to see Andy Murray on the brink of retirement. At 31 it seems too young but I suppose in tennis terms it's not really apart from the few exceptions like Federer, Tommy Haas etc. 

I guess all those gruelling rallies and chasing down every last ball has took its toll but that was a big part of who he was on the court. Some of the points he would win when he should have had no right to was unreal. 

When he first came on the scene I thought he was a big monotone boring silver spoon b*****d but I grew to love him and he actually comes across a very funny guy and very honest. Only 1 minor downside was his on court moaning to his coaches which was a bit annoying and embarrassing at times but was obviously his way of letting off steam I guess.

He achieved just about everything he could in the greatest era against the greatest players of all time. Safe to say we have been spoiled over the last 14 years or so. Especially with Scotland not qualifying for a major tournament in the last 20 years it was good to have Andy at Wimbledon to look forward to every summer. 

Legend. 

Edited by Acastus

Sad, sad news. I seem to remember a few people back when he went on that incredible winning streak at the end of 2016, saying that they hoped he hadn't pushed his body to the limit by playing absolutely everything in that (successful) quest to finish as the YE#1 - maybe he did, as he only ever won 1 title again.

Andy achieved just about everything possible in the game (not winning an Aussie Open just about the only thing I imagine he's gutted about), so while it's sad that he can't go out on his own terms, it's been a fantastic career. If he's born 15 years earlier, he wins 10+ Slams, but that's just the luck of the draw, and when you consider that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are probably all in the all time top 5, it makes his success even more incredible.

A legend of British/Scottish sport. Will be sorely missed.

If a macth could sum up a career this might be it.  If he wins from here it is one of his finest moments.  He has not right to win.  He simply refuses to be beaten.  Even by his failing body. 

A legend.  A machine.  

4 hours ago, Adolfo Rios said:

If a macth could sum up a career this might be it.  If he wins from here it is one of his finest moments.  He has not right to win.  He simply refuses to be beaten.  Even by his failing body. 

A legend.  A machine.  

Exactly what I had thought. Even that hold from matchpoint down to make sure Batista Agut had to serve it out was as much down to his mental strength and determination to go out his own way than anything else.

Got to spare a thought for B-A as well. It was almost done fairly comfortably, then he must have been shiting himself at the start of the 5th when he was breakpoint down to a man who only has one working leg. To get through that and win, especially with the crowd no so much against him but fully behind his opponent, showed great mental strength of his own.

I always thought that the media just presumed Andy had announced his retirement when in actual fact he just said that he couldn’t continue indefinitely without having his Hip resurfaced. He now has 2 options:-

1.Take 4 and a half months off then prepare for Wimbledon, while playing through the pain. After Wimbledon he would have the Hip Resurfacing Operation but he’s adamant he will retire if waits until after Wimbledon to have it.

2. Have the Hip Resurfaced in the next couple of weeks. There is a chance that he wouldn’t be able to play again and wouldn’t be able to get one last Wimbledon, but, on the other side of the coin, if the operation had the desired effect he could possibly prolong his career by a few years while more importantly making him pain free.

I personally (and maybe selfishly)hope that he has the operation ASAP. Knowing the kind of mentality Andy Murray has I believe he will edge towards this option as well. I think there is a very good chance he’d get back to playing Tennis but I think my main concern would be if he could actually get close to moving at the required speed again.

I always thought that the media just presumed Andy had announced his retirement when in actual fact he just said that he couldn’t continue indefinitely without having his Hip resurfaced. He now has 2 options:-

1.Take 4 and a half months off then prepare for Wimbledon, while playing through the pain. After Wimbledon he would have the Hip Resurfacing Operation but he’s adamant he will retire if waits until after Wimbledon to have it.

2. Have the Hip Resurfaced in the next couple of weeks. There is a chance that he wouldn’t be able to play again and wouldn’t be able to get one last Wimbledon, but, on the other side of the coin, if the operation had the desired effect he could possibly prolong his career by a few years while more importantly making him pain free.

I personally (and maybe selfishly)hope that he has the operation ASAP. Knowing the kind of mentality Andy Murray has I believe he will edge towards this option as well. I think there is a very good chance he’d get back to playing Tennis but I think my main concern would be if he could actually get close to moving at the required speed again.

As much as I hope you’re right, I have to think he’d have come out and corrected the media if they were mistaken. I think I read he did say something to the Australian crowd about maybe not having seen the last of him though.

49 minutes ago, Donathan said:

As much as I hope you’re right, I have to think he’d have come out and corrected the media if they were mistaken. I think I read he did say something to the Australian crowd about maybe not having seen the last of him though.

I took that to mean today wasn't his last match, and he'd be at Wimbledon

I think he should have the operation now.  He won't get a more fitting end to his career if it was to end. At Wimbledon with the lower bounce he will put more pain on the right hip, so soldiering on to get one last hurrah, could do more damage.  He would have won that match today, if he had been more match fit or, his forehand was even of a top 20 player.

Movement was laboured but not that bad,  first serve was good, backhand good, Forehand nowhere near his usual standard.  Will to win, fighting spirit - still every bit as it always was.  The celebrations after winning each set, after thinking you had seen the end, had me in tears.

No matter what he deserves to end his career the way he wants to.  But if there is a chance that he could comeback, don't delay it.

While he was talking about the op in the post match interview I think a lot that was perhaps the adrenaline of what he had just been through. I think in the cold light of day he will realise that’s its over and try to rest up for Wimbledon.

I think deep down he knows even this op is a success he has very little chance of competing at the highest level again and he won’t want that.

While he was talking about the op in the post match interview I think a lot that was perhaps the adrenaline of what he had just been through. I think in the cold light of day he will realise that’s its over and try to rest up for Wimbledon.

I think deep down he knows even this op is a success he has very little chance of competing at the highest level again and he won’t want that.

I know what you mean but just to counter this argument we know that Andy loves competing and he takes pride in how hard he works. Maybe this is something he is really struggling to give up and if he has the Hip Resurfaced he may be determined to be the most successful person ever to play with a partly metal hip. Even winning an ATP 250 event would be a fantastic achievement.

I thought the same tbh. A lot will depend on how sore he is in the next few days. If he was still single I would be 100% sure he would have an op and try and come back, but as a dad with 2 young kids then part of him must be thinking if it is really worth all the hassle. He has nothing to prove to anyone, and he has to think of his long term health too.

The video they showed on the big screen after his interview could be an epic fail if he does somehow keep playing.