Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

There are folk who dont like Andy Murray and I really dont get it.

Probably folk who have no appreciation that in sporting terms, he has attained a level that very few from Scotland, indeed Britain have ever reached. His time spent toe to toe with the golden generation of tennis is elite sportsmanship. We dont get elite often, we get good, and sometimes very good.

He wears his heart on his sleeve and is completely genuine and honest. What he has to say is usually interesting and intelligent. As others have said a top boy and one of the finest examples to young people getting into sport you could possubly imagine.

Well done young man.

He's a total inspiration to me in terms of how he succeeds, and also how he deals with challenges. He is a thoughtful man, very candid and never dull, his contribution to gender equality in sport has been seismic.

I really hope he will find a path to a healthy retirement and begin to enjoy what he has achieved instead of pushing himself for more.

I fully expect he'll find some prominent role in our society in his future, he's so widely respected. I can see him leading something, not quite sure what that will be yet. (A bit like a modern day Seb Coe, but far less of a dick.)

I'd definitely put him up there as our greatest sportsman, probably only Chris Hoy comes close in my lifetime, but his main opponent was himself and the clock, not a Federer.

Good luck to you Andy, we are all quite proud of you!

Wow that interveiw`s a tough watch. What an absolute champion he is.

He is absolutely my favourite sportsman of all time and given tennis is far from my favourite sport that`s quite something.

He could be hugely frustrating but god he`s given us some highs too.

Still one of the most talked about things in my house  is when he won Wimbledon for the first time. We were on a family holiday in Spain and spent hours watching him progress through the rounds. The final was so tense and it was absolute bedlam when he finally got it done.  

Really sad to see him suffer now but what a career he`s had.

Legend. 8) 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

What on earth will Kheredine Idessane do?

I did think about that too - although he is described as the BBC's tennis correspondent we all know that in practice he is the BBC's Andy Murray correspondent.

53 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

His greatest achievement is being one of the 4 best players in the world for nearly 10 years. At the end of the day he has won only one more grand slam than wawrinka, but Murray's career overall far outshines his.

Murray and Wawrinka have both won 3.

It's probably no exaggeration to say I've watched over half of Murray's 853 career matches. Definitely the best British sportsman I have seen in an individual sport. Very sad to see him struggling but he can be proud of all the success he has had and the enjoyment he has given everyone watching. 

Really sad. You wondered with the noticeable deterioration with his hip  watching that loss at Wimbledon 18 months ago whether that was it. 

What he has done is incredible and I still reckon he will go on to play a big part in British tennis for years to come. 

Definitely Scotland’s 2nd greatest ever sportsman after Stephen Hendry. 

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Murray and Wawrinka have both won 3.

I like Stan but that will always seem extremely unfair to me, despite the fact he obviously deserved his wins as much as Murray did.

Unlike football where players come and go from your club, this is different. Unless you're Rangers, the club always remains. It's genuinely sad to think we won't get any more of those roller coasters we've had with him over the years.

4 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I like Stan but that will always seem extremely unfair to me, despite the fact he obviously deserved his wins as much as Murray did.

Unlike football where players come and go from your club, this is different. Unless you're Rangers, the club always remains. It's genuinely sad to think we won't get any more of those roller coasters we've had with him over the years.

Indeed, although Stan has admitted he doesn't class his career anywhere near as successful as Murray's, despite them both winning 3 slams.

It's hard to argue too, Murray has achieved far more overall, over a far longer time period.

Favourite Murray win?

This one stands out in my memory. Wimbledon last 16, 2009, first game under the lights after new roof went in.

The place looked like a spaceship!

Andy Murray beats Stanislas Wawrinka to reach Wimbledon quarter-final

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jun/30/andy-murray-stanislas-wawrinka-wimbledon?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard