Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

When Murray retires (probably next year tbh) move the thread to gold and start a fresh tennis thread. 

His 2 Wimbledon victories on here are some of my favourite days on his site.  

I was still in retail when he won his first Wimbledon, and was working on that Sunday. Some English customer had wandered in watching the final on his phone, and I spent about 15 minutes, along with about five other people (a mixture of customers and staff), huddled around this guy's iPhone for that ridiculous final game.

Went home that night and watched the whole thing again.

Football brings far more scenes in general than tennis, but the joy from Andy winning that was something else.

Edited by Nightmare

I was still in retail when he won his first Wimbledon, and was working on that Sunday. Some English customer had wandered in watching the final on his phone, and I spent about 15 minutes, along with about five other people (a mixture of customers and staff), huddled around this guy's iPhone for that ridiculous final game.

Went home that night and watched the whole thing again.

Football brings far more scenes in general than tennis, but the joy from Andy winning that was something else.

This in spades, except the retail bit of course. Watched the match live whilst recording it; stopped myself hiding behind sofa at the tricky bits (especially that last game). Watched it again, then watched Today at Wimbledon, recorded sky sports line, watched that, got up in morning... Wall to wall coverage on BBC and SKY. Absolute fantastic time to be alive!!!!

Second title was fantastic also, but that first one was the best, sent two fingers up to all the Murray haters.... The boy from Dunblane had done it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Khachanov wins the Paris Masters.  Seems obvious to say, but he has a bit of Marat Safin about him.  Not the way he looks, but I think his backhand is as good.

https://bbc.in/2QR9z3x

Seems tennis fans are becoming quite shitty now. Dare beat a top player and you become public enemy and guilt tripped to apologise for stuff completely irrelevant to you.

Beating a big name should involve running around shouting yass, not standing around trying to justify yourself.

It's a complete joke.

https://bbc.in/2QR9z3x

Seems tennis fans are becoming quite shitty now. Dare beat a top player and you become public enemy and guilt tripped to apologise for stuff completely irrelevant to you.

Beating a big name should involve running around shouting yass, not standing around trying to justify yourself.

It's a complete joke.

Fair play to Annabel Croft for telling them to shut the f**k up.

• 1 month later...

The new tennis season is just eight days away and there is a number of changes coming in the Slams, ensuring that each Slam has a different rule for the fifth set.

Australian Open:  Now tie break in the Fifth set at 6-6, however it will be a champions tie break (first to 10 points)

French Open: As it was, fifth set played until 6-6 and the advantage rule applied. (i.e win by two clear games)

Wimbledon:  Normal tie break played after 12-12 in the fifth set.

US Open:  Every set to finish with a tie break at 6-6.

Murray has used a protected ranking of #2 to gain entry to the Australian Open and has been given a wild card for Brisbane.

Even if he is finished what memories we have of him. That Wimbledon victory was just fantastic
Absolutely. The spell of his career bookended by the 2 Olympic Gold medal wins was phenomenal. Doubt we'll ever see a British player do anything close to that again.