Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

The only issue here seems to be that Ramos made the mistake of (correctly) responding to Queen Serena's antics rather than ignoring them. A whole load of whataboutery defensing her behaviour, primarily because of who she is rather than anyone else. Naturally the umpire should've done nothing whilst having his integrity was being called into question...

Astonishing to see Williams being praised from some for showing class by telling the crowd not to boo. The crowd, of course, would not have been booing had a certain someone not thrown a prolonged hissy fit. 

Sincerely hope there are enough out there to publicly defend the umpire, since the written narrative seems to be that Williams was wronged. The sort of nonsense levied at him is the stuff that destroys careers. 

To talk about the game itself though, I don’t watch much women’s tennis, but last night (first set especially) was a great advert for the game. Thought it was brilliant quality. One of the most enjoyable tennis matches I’ve watched for both quality and drama!

Watched the highlights of this earlier from the point of her being penalised a point after reading about it this morning.

Williams was bang out of order the entire way through it with the way she was acting. The point where she said "you'll never umpire me again as long as you live" was a personal highlight. It was disappointing that the commentators couldn't bring themselves to really condemn Williams for her behaviour.

Good on the umpire, and good on Osaka for keeping her concentration through the entire farce and getting the job done.

You can't very well call the umpire a thief and expect to get away with it.  

That said, there's a completely different tone in the coverage of Serena's "meltdown" to McInroe, or to baseball ejections, for example.  You also don't get any of the, "ah well, but it least she proves she cares"  reaction which happens regularly to excuse male athletes (red cards in football being a very obvious example).  Look at how the BBC report talks of Williams' "maternal instinct" kicking in during the prize giving ceremony.  

It seems to me to be that there are two issues at play here, one to do with enforcing the rules of tennis, and the other to do with the implied double standards in the media coverage.

Framing the whole thing as Serena vs the umpire misses part of that, I feel.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Watched the highlights of this earlier from the point of her being penalised a point after reading about it this morning.

Williams was bang out of order the entire way through it with the way she was acting. The point where she said "you'll never umpire me again as long as you live" was a personal highlight. It was disappointing that the commentators couldn't bring themselves to really condemn Williams for her behaviour.

Good on the umpire, and good on Osaka for keeping her concentration through the entire farce and getting the job done.

The commentators, journalists, past players

None of them can bring themselves to say it as it is

She's a disgrace

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

You can't very well call the umpire a thief and expect to get away with it.  

That said, there's a completely different tone in the coverage of Serena's "meltdown" to McInroe, or to baseball ejections, for example.  You also don't get any of the, "ah well, but it least she proves she cares"  reaction which happens regularly to excuse male athletes (red cards in football being a very obvious example).  Look at how the BBC report talks of Williams' "maternal instinct" kicking in during the prize giving ceremony.  

It seems to me to be that there are two issues at play here, one to do with enforcing the rules of tennis, and the other to do with the implied double standards in the media coverage.

Framing the whole thing as Serena vs the umpire misses part of that, I feel.

You're feeding into her bullshit excuses for her disgraceful behaviour

24 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I watched it earlier. Having read on here and other forums and the live text on the BBC website, it was much worse than I was expecting. 

Did you watch the whole game? Just seems from the crowd reaction that only seeing her blow ups without the context gives a different impression. 

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Different how?

The folk at the stadium were on her side and thought the ref was out of order, the reverse for people watching just the clips.

Edited by welshbairn