Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Murray has gone. Mentally fragile performance

He was let down by his technical ability.  He was there fighting every point, in what way was he mentally fragile?  His serve, forehand and even his steady backhand were not match sharp.  He continued to error in all aspects of his game throughout the match.  That will come with more practice - most of his work is physical just now with very little practice.  That part of his game will come, I think people need to manage their expectations of what he is capable of.

The rest of the season should be about trying to win an event, and trying to get wins against better opponents.

Thiem, Isner, Shapovalov, Kanepi and Strycova. £10 returns £41

3rd day in a row with profit! Shapovalov and Isner taken to 5 sets tho

Today I’ve gone for Sharapova, Schwartzman, Kyrgios, Wozniacki, Ostapenka & Cibulkova. £10 returns £40.56

27 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Ach well, maybe Verdasco was a step too far for Andy in his recovery.  What will his ranking be after the USO finishes roughly?

Only 45 points for r2, so it’ll lift him to about 315 in the rankings.

He was let down by his technical ability.  He was there fighting every point, in what way was he mentally fragile?  His serve, forehand and even his steady backhand were not match sharp.  He continued to error in all aspects of his game throughout the match.  That will come with more practice - most of his work is physical just now with very little practice.  That part of his game will come, I think people need to manage their expectations of what he is capable of.
The rest of the season should be about trying to win an event, and trying to get wins against better opponents.
Have to politely disagree, this is also based on his post match press conference. The lay off has not only affected his fitness(obviously) but has also affected his mentality as well. Common knowledge would pertain that sharpness would decrease both physically and mentally with any time out. Off course he will get it back but him himself admits these mental doubts. If you look at last night's stats his break point savers were very poor compared to his usual stats, not to mention a lot of yo yo'ing of serve. Mentality will of course strengthen but I think he is still fragile

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
16 hours ago, Loki said:

Have to politely disagree, this is also based on his post match press conference. The lay off has not only affected his fitness(obviously) but has also affected his mentality as well. Common knowledge would pertain that sharpness would decrease both physically and mentally with any time out. Off course he will get it back but him himself admits these mental doubts. If you look at last night's stats his break point savers were very poor compared to his usual stats, not to mention a lot of yo yo'ing of serve. Mentality will of course strengthen but I think he is still fragile

Fair enough.  All I will add to that is his break point save % will remain poor while his serve is technically poor.  His ball toss is shorter than usual, and the range of distance in the contact point is far wider than normal.  Making it far easier for his opponent to read his serve.  His first serve % remains lower, and he also tends to take some zip off his first serve to protect the second serve.   I think there is a confidence issue there, but the technical aspect certainly doesn't help his confidence.  

Zverev has again under performed at a slam.  He has made one quarter final in fourteen attempts.  Kohlschreiber won the last six games in the fourth set to clinch the victory.  He used the back hand slice to perfection, absolutely roasted him.  For someone so big, his serve isn't very good.  Lendl really has his work cut out for him, but certainly has lots of potential.

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Zverev has again under performed at a slam.  He has made one quarter final in fourteen attempts.  Kohlschreiber won the last six games in the fourth set to clinch the victory.  He used the back hand slice to perfection, absolutely roasted him.  For someone so big, his serve isn't very good.  Lendl really has his work cut out for him, but certainly has lots of potential.

Whenever I watch Zverev on a bad day he looks very weak in the mentality department.