Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Pah, he's no Jeremy Bates. Now he was a gentleman :)

:lol:

Exactly. He had the decency to make Johnny Foreigner feel accepted at Wimbledon, by immediately losing to them First Round. It's important for Albanians ranked 4937th in the world and still using wooden rackets to feel at home in old Blighty you know. ;)

As for Andy: I watched the match and yeah, Federer was poor but Murray played well, stuck to his game plan and some of his passing shots were a joy to behold.

Robbie Ginepri next.... ;)

Absolutely wonderful result for the "Dunblane Dynamo" - my only fear is that once he gets the press shouting the odds on his behalf he tends to lose it a wee bit, but who knows - Federer is a wonderful player, and to have a Scot that can beat him is simply fantastic!!!

I just hope the English press don't build him up for a fall at the US Open, he's still a young player and despite his results it's a totally different game in the Grand Slams - the big players seem to always step it up when they get there (with the exception of Roddick :P). Having said that, did he not win the juniors there a couple of years ago - when he burst on to the radar at first?

Guest thefamousphilosifer

First time in 14 months he has lost a match on any surface, that wasn't a final! :o

To add to that, its the first time in 194 matches he's went down in straight sets :o Last time was against Gustavo Kuerten in May 2004

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

Now we're going to find out how Scottish Mr Murray is. If he is a true Scotsmen then he'll go down in straight sets to some numpty in the next round. It's the Scottish way.

Now we're going to find out how Scottish Mr Murray is. If he is a true Scotsmen then he'll go down in straight sets to some numpty in the next round. It's the Scottish way.

Lol! :lol:

Joking aside, its some achievement and if he keeps progressing he should have a very successful time ahead of him :)

Great win for Murray! :o

Some Federer stats from the BBC site:

BEFORE THIS FEDERER HAD...

Won 55 straight matches in North America

Only been beaten by one player (Rafael Nadal) this year

Not lost in straight sets for 194 matches (when Gustavo Kuerten beat him in May 2004)

Reached 17 successive finals (one short of Ivan Lendl's record)

That puts how good this win really was into perspective!

Murray won with a 41% first serve average. Imagine what he can do with a bit of work on his serve :o

If you think thats bad, he's just took the first set 7-6 against Robby Ginepri, with a 1st serve average of 24%!! :o

He's obviously spent too much time in Barcelona ;)

Well done to Andy but that serve is frustrating when he actually got his first serve in they were often aces

He's obviously spent too much time in Barcelona ;)

Well done to Andy but that serve is frustrating when he actually got his first serve in they were often aces

If he could serve he'd be top 10, maybe top 5 in the world ;)

Hopefully he works on it between the US Open and the Australian Open. Good win all the same, I think Ginepri beat him a few weeks ago so it good to see him get one over on him.

Guest BerwickRadge

He's due to play Andy Roddick in the last 8. The Yanks have had a crap tournament, and I think Roddick's their last chance.

Andy's already beaten him beofre, so here's fingers crossed.

BTW - I think that because Federer is so dominant at the moment, Murray could end up in the top 15 after this tournament - and he's been seeded for the US Open!!!

C'mon Andy - lets see some Scottish Passion out on the court... :D

...and the bassa English media have suddenly started to refer to Andy as 'British' :angry:

and the bassa English media have suddenly started to refer to Andy as 'British'

Which he is :rolleyes:

Note who is actually paying for the coach that has made such a difference to him - British tennis!

Well done yet again Andy - I thought he'd blown it last night.

40 degree heat as well - good thing is his next game will probably be at night.

Let's hope he's not burning himself out before the big one in a couple of weeks.

He's already gotten above Acasuso. Coming into the tournament Murray had 1210 points and Acasuso 1225. Murray has gained 40 points even if he loses next round to Ginepri. Acasuso, who was defending 125 points, has gone backwards.

19th is Nicolas Kiefer who is 100 points ahead (1310). So far as I can see, Kiefer isn't playing in the tournament so will drop the 35 points he got last year. If Murray beats Ginepri he'll move above him too but not if he loses.

18th is Ginepri himself. He is 145 points ahead but defending 225 points for reching the semis last year. If Murray could beat him he'd lose 150 points and drop behind Murray.

17th is Tommy Haas, 245 points ahead. Given that he's still in the tournament, Murray can't realistically get that high this time.

Basically he's up to 20th already and if he beats Ginepri he'll go to 18th.

BTW - I think that because Federer is so dominant at the moment, Murray could end up in the top 15 after this tournament - and he's been seeded for the US Open!!!

You could always read the previous bloody page! :rolleyes:

The only way he can hope to get above 18th (which he already is) is to reach the final.

I've just worked it all out. Given that Haas is now out (he lose in the last 16 yesterday) if Andy reached the final but lost it he would be tied on points with Haas. No idea whether he would therefore be ranked above or below him (not sure what tiebreaking procedures are). If he were to win obviously he'd climb above Haas.

16th is David Ferrer who started the tournament 445 points ahead of Andy. He is also through to the last eight so cannot be caught by Andy no matter what. He'll be at least a couple of hundred points clear still.

15th is Jarkko Nieminen who started 470 ahead and didn't play Cincinnati last year so is defending nothing. He went out in the first round here so gained five points only. Andy can get above him if he wins the tournament only.

14th is Thomas Berdych who started 480 ahead and is defending 35 points for a second round last year. He lost 30 points this time as he too went out first round. Again, were Andy to win he'd get above him.

13th is Fernando Gonzalez who started 490 ahead and is defending 75 points for a last 16 appearance last year. He too is through to the last eight so isn't going to be caught this week.

12th is Roddick who started 530 ahead of Andy but was runner up last year so defends 350 points. If he lost to Andy he'd collect 75 points so drop 275. Andy can actually get above him simply by reaching the final.

11th is Lleyton Hewitt who also started 530 ahead and was a semi final loser last year (225 points). He doesn't appear to be playing here so again Andy can go above him by reaching the final.

10th is Bhagdhatis who started 642 points above Andy. He didn't play last year so his last 16 appearance this time takes him way out of reach.

You can forget about anyone higher.

Basically, Murray is already guaranteed to climb above Acasuso, Kiefer and Ginepri into 18th. He can't get any higher without reaching the final. If he finishes runner up he'd move above Roddick, Hewitt and possibly Haas into 15th. If he were to win he'd also climb above Nieminen and Berdych into 13th.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Guest BerwickRadge

You could always read the previous bloody page! :rolleyes:

The only way he can hope to get above 18th (which he already is) is to reach the final.

I've just worked it all out. Given that Haas is now out (he lose in the last 16 yesterday) if Andy reached the final but lost it he would be tied on points with Haas. No idea whether he would therefore be ranked above or below him (not sure what tiebreaking procedures are). If he were to win obviously he'd climb above Haas.

16th is David Ferrer who started the tournament 445 points ahead of Andy. He is also through to the last eight so cannot be caught by Andy no matter what. He'll be at least a couple of hundred points clear still.

15th is Jarkko Nieminen who started 470 ahead and didn't play Cincinnati last year so is defending nothing. He went out in the first round here so gained five points only. Andy can get above him if he wins the tournament only.

14th is Thomas Berdych who started 480 ahead and is defending 35 points for a second round last year. He lost 30 points this time as he too went out first round. Again, were Andy to win he'd get above him.

13th is Fernando Gonzalez who started 490 ahead and is defending 75 points for a last 16 appearance last year. He too is through to the last eight so isn't going to be caught this week.

12th is Roddick who started 530 ahead of Andy but was runner up last year so defends 350 points. If he lost to Andy he'd collect 75 points so drop 275. Andy can actually get above him simply by reaching the final.

11th is Lleyton Hewitt who also started 530 ahead and was a semi final loser last year (225 points). He doesn't appear to be playing here so again Andy can go above him by reaching the final.

10th is Bhagdhatis who started 642 points above Andy. He didn't play last year so his last 16 appearance this time takes him way out of reach.

You can forget about anyone higher.

Basically, Murray is already guaranteed to climb above Acasuso, Kiefer and Ginepri into 18th. He can't get any higher without reaching the final. If he finishes runner up he'd move above Roddick, Hewitt and possibly Haas into 15th. If he were to win he'd also climb above Nieminen and Berdych into 13th.

Thanks for the info SD - I'm not up to speed on how they work out the rankings. I've followed Andy's progress since he won Junior Wimbledon a few years ago. I fact i backed him to be in the Top 10 by his 21st birthday at 15-1...!!!

Hence my interest in the ranking structure!!! (what are his realistic chances for breaking into the Top 3???

Is he worth a flutter on being World No 1 by his 25th birthday??

Hence my interest in the ranking structure!!! (what are his realistic chances for breaking into the Top 3???

Pretty good, but he needs to drastically improve his first serve.

After Federer and Nadal, the next 8 or so players are much of a muchness, and Murray could live with them quite easily on a regular basis after another year or so of experience.