Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

He's just so, so good isn't he? Didn't even look tired tonight and wasn't really clutching his shoulder either which is great to see.

Started pissing myself when he nearly decapitated the umpire after catching that volley sweet as a nut. :lol:

23 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Same, he could do that a thousand times over and never get close to volleying it as sweet as that again.

Soon turned to heart in the mouth though when I realised he could have been automatically defaulted. Kind of like when you did something bad in class at school and thought the teacher realised but didn't. :lol:

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

Soon turned to heart in the mouth though when I realised he could have been automatically defaulted. Kind of like when you did something bad in class at school and thought the teacher realised but didn't. :lol:

Yup. Fair play to the umpire who showed a cooler head than Andy there. My instant reaction would probably have been to DQ him

The stare the umpire gave him was priceless, doubt anybody has ever defaulted before for smashing the umpire in the face with a right foot volley, so that could have been another first for Andy.

Final scheduled for "not before 4pm" local time, so 9pm here.

I see Cilic won from a set down in the end last night. Anyone watch it? How long did it go on for?

He seems to be playing/serving pretty well just now, but Murray has an excellent record against him so hopefully he gets the job done with minimal hassle and then gets a good week of rest/preparation in ahead of the US Open.

Although you obviously wanted him to win, it's very true what Rusedski said with regards to people not talking about keeping his run going through the US Open. Definitely eases the pressure on him.

Edited by Elixir

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

He'll be disappointed... but ffs Wimbledon champion again, Olympics champion again... another major in a wk, new father.... what a time to be Andy Murray

Absolutely. What he`s having. Decent chance at US open too. 

Presumably Lendl will be on team for that which always seems a positive.

Cilic had 3 match points to get to the Wimbledon semi-final this year, and would have faced Raonic in the semi-final where he would only have been slight underdog to reach the final. He was already a decent outside bet for the US Open but Cincinnati backs that up, I think he'll go really well there.

A shame Murray lost, wouldn't have minded him losing earlier in the week as it would have given him extra rest days, but to reach all the way to the end and not win is frustrating. All his matches were straight sets and pretty short though so don't think it will have taken much out of him, and with Djokovic not playing he still made a dent in his points total. He seems to be all set to challenge for the US Open, but his poor performances there - by his standards - since he won it make me a bit apprehensive.

Well if all his matches had been 3 sets instead of 2 he would have been on court for another 4 hours or so, the equivalent of playing an extra couple of matches. So it is clearly better that this wasn't the case. Of course it was a good effort, as I said though the fact his matches weren't particularly tough physically is a positive.