Stranraer v Rovers

Ach well, looks like nobody else is going to start it...

Great three points for us in a very tight game. I really did worry we were going to get a doing early on as I don't think I've seen a team press as high as Stranraer did early on and we really struggled with it. Thankfully, it was never going to be a strategy that could be maintained for 90 mins and after half an hour or so we started to come into the game, although without creating a huge amount.

Ross Davidson had his best game for some time and was key to how we managed to get past Stranraer's pressing line, making himself available for full backs and centre halfs and distributing the ball simply and well. I've been very critical of how wasteful Ross can be, but being the deepest midfielder in the absence of our manager really suited him yesterday and he obviously took the risks that come from playing there on board.

The second half was a bit more even and Stranraer stood off us a bit more. That said, there was only ever likely to be one goal in it and we looked the more likely in the odd chance that we did create, whereas Stranraer were trying a lot of long range stuff, much of which ended up over the enclosure behind the goal. The moment that changed the game was bringing Gemmell and McBride on; Ally Love was knackered after a frustrating afternoon so McBride was an obvious replacement and his fresh legs started to bring us a bit more space. However, Gemmell was arguably the more effective sub, replacing the ineffectual and disinterested Barrowman and finally making Stranraer's centre halfs work. Whilst I accept that neither lone striker got the best of service, one was prepared to work with what he got, whilst the other wanted the ball either side of his big toe and was nullified easily.

As for the goal it was a wee bit scrappy and I daresay Scott has scored better goals, but it was the reward for what was (Barrowman aside) a hard working and determined performance. We actually then could have put the game out of sight with Paul Willis wasting a great chance through on goal late on.

So we're on 10 points from 7 games with Stenny at home next week. That's certainly exceeded my expectations and the pleasing thing is that other than Forfar and Airdrie, we've not played any teams that we aren't either better than or can't bridge the gap to through good organisation and work rate. Of course, we haven't had our first doing from Dunfermline yet (we go there in a fortnight) but the games against the Pars are unlikely to have much bearing on whether we stay up.

Great result for the Rovers and probably a few burst coupons to go along with it.

I thought Stranraer would do quite well again this year as they looked decent when we went down there. Unfortunately it looks like there's some trouble brewing for Reid!

Stranraer were always going to struggle this year, lost too many players and of course have a total haddie as a manager. That said at home they are capable of beating anyone in this league but away from home they will be there for the taking. Interesting little battle beginning at the bottom....

Thanks, Stephen! You're such an insider. I'm away for the weekend wi Mrs Bold. Ewan and Duncan were on their way to the game but the A8/M8 traffic led to them taking in a Glasgow League 2 game instead! Looking at the highlights: have they updated the old cowshed into a a proper wee stand? Wonder where the money came from.

Decent highlights... :blink:

Looks like the change in midfield made a big difference, younger legs an all that.

Gemmell is not starting yet as he is still troubled by that hamstring injury. Got to agree about Barrowman in all games i have seen him play for us, he really doesnt look up for it.

Looking at the highlights: have they updated the old cowshed into a a proper wee stand?

Yes, they have and they've made a pretty good job of it too. There's also a wee bar opened behind that stand too and from what we were told it was Rangers money that paid for it.

I have to say I found the officials at Stranraer very friendly on Saturday. They've never been not friendly in the past, but haven't tended to talk to as much as at places like Forfar and Elgin. They seem very proud of the improvements that have been made and so they should be.

I've always thought and said that they're a cracking wee club. Despite historic mismanagement and boardroom misdemeanours they survive and thrive. The natural cycle of low league football may mean they're on the downward slope, playing-wise, just now, though.

Snuffy and Bold have got it spot on re Stranraer as a club. Certainly off the field, everyone involved is a credit to the club. Nice welcoming and relaxed atmosphere, with none of the heavy-handed and officious stewarding you encounter at certain other grounds. The programme is excellent, loads of stuff in it, and is a labour of love for the editorial team.

Good club, good people.

Snuffy and Bold have got it spot on re Stranraer as a club. Certainly off the field, everyone involved is a credit to the club. Nice welcoming and relaxed atmosphere, with none of the heavy-handed and officious stewarding you encounter at certain other grounds. The programme is excellent, loads of stuff in it, and is a labour of love for the editorial team.

Good club, good people.

Apologies if i am wrong, but are the parts i have put in bold a dig at Rovers?

Archived