Friday night Falkirk v Queens

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Queens are like when Scotland used to qualify for the Euros and world cups.

Just glad to be at the party.

Completely out their depth in the last 2 years of the playoffs.

Doubt they will be anywhere near them this year anyway unless they sign half a team in January

Guest Back Post Misses

tough one to call for me made tougher because we will be playing our 3rd game in 6 days with a 300 mile road trip in the middle of it.

Think it will be a draw TBH.

Completely out their depth in the last 2 years of the playoffs.

Indeed. Although the bairns showed us how to successfully navigate these choppy waters on both occasions.

Wait a minute...

Difficult game. Queens will want to return to their dizzy heights last year of the second tier promotion play off spots.

For a club of our size and stature in the scottish game we punched well above our weight. The mighty Heavyweight of falkirk on the other hand taking knockout blows by the super flyweights of the league while bottling fourth place.

For a club of our size and stature in the scottish game we punched well above our weight. The mighty Heavyweight of falkirk on the other hand taking knockout blows by the super flyweights of the league while bottling fourth place.

Surely when you see the likes of Inverness, Ross County and Hamilton, you're disappointed your club hasn't had a go in the top flight? The reason we are down here is due to mismanagement, what's Queens excuse?

Surely when you see the likes of Inverness, Ross County and Hamilton, you're disappointed your club hasn't had a go in the top flight? The reason we are down here is due to mismanagement, what's Queens excuse?

We just ain't good enough for the top league at this exact moment, once Rangers and hibs go up would fancy us if we keep the same model in place to challenge. If we had a core support of around 4k I would be asking serious questions of the club only finishing 5th in the second tier.

We just ain't good enough for the top league at this exact moment, once Rangers and hibs go up would fancy us if we keep the same model in place to challenge. If we had a core support of around 4k I would be asking serious questions of the club only finishing 5th in the second tier.

Well that's obvious based on your results this season but why is that? Even without the big 2 in the league, you've hardly gave it a good go. The only teams with a core support of 4k+ are Rangers and Hibernian but nice try.

Well that's obvious based on your results this season but why is that? Even without the big 2 in the league, you've hardly gave it a good go. The only teams with a core support of 4k+ are Rangers and Hibernian but nice try.

I didn't say 4k+ I said around, which wouldn't be far off your average home gate would it not especially if in the top flight. And the answer to the first point was answered in previous post, we clearly aren't good enough but still good enough to finish above the mighty Bairns.

I didn't say 4k+ I said around, which wouldn't be far off your average home gate would it not especially if in the top flight. And the answer to the first point was answered in previous post, we clearly aren't good enough but still good enough to finish above the mighty Bairns.

Well if you're dying for an answer I felt last season was a dud from the moment Holt quit.

All the planning for a season right out the window and whoever got the job would have to sign players that were pretty much ignored or rejected by everyone else.

Housty was shopping in the bargain bin and still managed to assemble a team that got to the Scottish cup final and didnt deserve to lose.

We also owned Hibs arse all season.

Could also argue if Loy hadn't got injured that we may very well have finished 4th.

I'd be more worried right now as a Queens fan than a Falkirk fan.

You've twice finished 4th and now look lucky to make top half.

Well if you're dying for an answer I felt last season was a dud from the moment Holt quit.

All the planning for a season right out the window and whoever got the job would have to sign players that were pretty much ignored or rejected by everyone else.

Housty was shopping in the bargain bin and still managed to assemble a team that got to the Scottish cup final and didnt deserve to lose.

We also owned Hibs arse all season.

Could also argue if Loy hadn't got injured that we may very well have finished 4th.

I'd be more worried right now as a Queens fan than a Falkirk fan.

You've twice finished 4th and now look lucky to make top half.

I won't lose sleep over us finishing mid table in this league. Anywhere between 4th-6th even 7th aslong as we aren't detached will be seen as a reasonable season imo.

When we initially returned to this level after decades in the wilderness we were part-time and although we briefly topped the table it was never likely a part time side would gain promotion, especially in the pre-playoff days.

We then had the transition from PT to FT which saw us hold our own but never mount a serious push due to a succession of dud players and dud managers. Aside from a couple of near misses at the bottom end of the table, overall we probably about punched our weight for our budget.

We then had a budget that probably should have seen us challenge for the league but unfortunately it was frittered away on dross by Gordon Chisholm. Stewart Kean being on a grand a week still has me waking up in a cold sweat occasionally.

We then had a huge rebuilding job to be done on a fraction of the budget which Gus Macpherson sadly wasn't up to and we ended up relegated.

After winning the 2nd Division at a canter we lost a very good manager but kept hold of a very good squad. Jim McIntyre took them to 4th and split the opinion of the fans with many suggesting he should have done better. I'm of the opinion that he should have, but even then it would have been a stretch to have caught Dundee and Hamilton. Finishing closer to Falkirk might have been achievable considering it took Extra Time to split us in the playoff. However he had a rotten record against the teams above us and we stayed put.

Off went McIntyre and along came Hearts, Hibs and Rangers. Our squad remained intact but fourth was realistically the best we could do. We managed it and in some style, but again fell at the first hurdle.

Onto the present day and our squad has been decimated and in Rangers, Hibs and St Mirren you have three teams who straight away should be finishing above us. Falkirk will feel they should as well, and Morton and Raith both must fancy their chances.

So to summarise you could say timing and bad luck have been big factors, as well as poor managerial appointments. Ultimately we haven't sustained a real title challenge in the last decade though because we've simply not been good enough, and there have been better teams in the league. The great work our current board are doing off the field, and the introduction of the playoffs gave me a bit of hope that it can be achieved but you just have to look at our home attendances to see the main obstacle that we face.

A core support and an average home gate are two totally different things, something you might experience if you ever get to the top flight.

Archived