One year ago today

Fide

'Twas a great day. Had always been confident of a decisive victory in the lead up to the vote, however the polls narrowing had me a tad apprehensive on the morning of the vote. However, it soon became pretty clear on the day no had won handsomely.

I went down to the polling booth around 10 and cast my vote and offered my services for the rest of the day to the no campaign.

They gave me a no badge and I stood outside the polling station for the rest of the day - save from being bought lunch from the Scottish Labour Party while they unsuccessfully tried to persuade me to join their ranks. My first and hopefully last ever day of political activism.

Could tell from people walking in and out that the majority were voting no. For the most part the yes voters seemed to have their badges or tshirts on or were being dropped off by a woman who was driving around the area in a vehicle covered in yes stickers and balloons.

The no voters were mainly the silent, reserved majority who would give a subtle nod and smile as they left.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Twas a great day. Had always been confident of a decisive victory in the lead up to the vote, however the polls narrowing had me a tad apprehensive on the morning of the vote. However, it soon became pretty clear on the day no had won handsomely.

I went down to the polling booth around 10 and cast my vote and offered my services for the rest of the day to the no campaign.

They gave me a no badge and I stood outside the polling station for the rest of the day - save from being bought lunch from the Scottish Labour Party while they unsuccessfully tried to persuade me to join their ranks. My first and hopefully last ever day of political activism.

Could tell from people walking in and out that the majority were voting no. For the most part the yes voters seemed to have their badges or tshirts on or were being dropped off by a woman who was driving around the area in a vehicle covered in yes stickers and balloons.

The no voters were mainly the silent, reserved majority who would give a subtle nod and smile as they left.

#happyforyou

#touchingstory

#bless

The vote wasn't rigged. It's people's lack of belief in their own country that I'll never understand

'Belief in their own country', what does that mean? Should we believe economic realities don't matter as much to us as they do to other countries, or that we should always vote for independence even when we don't get answers on things as basic as what currency we would be using? Are you suggesting we should ignore legitimate concerns and leap into something we may not be convinced by simply because to do otherwise would be to show a lack of belief in the country one lives in?

'Belief in their own country', what does that mean? Should we believe economic realities don't matter as much to us as they do to other countries, or that we should always vote for independence even when we don't get answers on things as basic as what currency we would be using? Are you suggesting we should ignore legitimate concerns and leap into something we may not be convinced by simply because to do otherwise would be to show a lack of belief in the country one lives in?

You got an answer to which currency would be used. This may be before your time but there was a point in time not too long ago when the UK didn't know what currency it would be using in the future.

This whole plan B thing is just a distraction. I don't see anyone shouting this 24x7 in regards to the EU vote.

You got an answer to which currency would be used. This may be before your time but there was a point in time not too long ago when the UK didn't know what currency it would be using in the future.

This whole plan B thing is just a distraction. I don't see anyone shouting this 24x7 in regards to the EU vote.

Maybe that's because we don't share a currency with the rest of the EU.

We were given one answer, which was dubious, and not told what the alternative was. They had ample opportunity to come up with a plan B but never did.

The vote wasn't rigged. It's people's lack of belief in their own country that I'll never understand

Nothing to do with a lack of belief in their own country it was more a lack of belief in salmond and the snp whos job it was to sell independence to us.

And do you not think we could have worked all that out JMO?

And do you not think we could have worked all that out JMO?

They had years to come up with answers and didn't, what makes you think they would suddenly come up with the solution?

I'm not inclined to vote for things based on the hope that the clever men in suits will work it all out in the end.

Maybe that's because we don't share a currency with the rest of the EU.

We were given one answer, which was dubious, and not told what the alternative was. They had ample opportunity to come up with a plan B but never did.

So in terms of a referendum all we need to do is have an alternative for a currency?

If we vote to leave the EU what mechanisms are we going use to replace EU trade agreements? EFTA? What if the EU throw the dummy out the pram and refuse? What is the plan B?

So in terms of a referendum all we need to do is have an alternative for a currency?

If we vote to leave the EU what mechanisms are we going use to replace EU trade agreements? EFTA? What if the EU throw the dummy out the pram and refuse? What is the plan B?

There isn't a plan B if we leave the EU, which is why we shouldn't.

There isn't a plan B if we leave the EU, which is why we shouldn't.

I agree with the sentiment of remaining in. I am not sure the majority of the country agrees and therefore it would be prudent to have a plan B.

I disagree with you that a lack of a plan b is reason enough to vote to remain in. The reality is that, in the same way as currency, a solution will be found.

They had years to come up with answers and didn't, what makes you think they would suddenly come up with the solution?

I'm not inclined to vote for things based on the hope that the clever men in suits will work it all out in the end.

They simply didn't have the answers, all the huff and bluster couldn't hide that, it wasn't a lack of confidence in ourselves as a country it was a lack of Trust in those without real direction that we were asked to blindly follow. Being naturally cautious didn't mean so many 'Scots shat it', neither did it make us any lesser patriots, an accusation and insult that probably strengthened the resolve of many Supporters of the Union.

Valid questions. Just as valid as asking for a currency plan B during the Indy ref. Some of the reasons I'll be voting to stay in the EU.

That isn't me not having belief in the UK, or anything like that, but because I think we will be worse off outside the EU. Similarly (though for different specific reasons) I believe Scotland would be worse off outside the UK.

It's for the withdrawal campaigns to convince me otherwise. The Yes campaign did nowhere near enough to settle my concerns over withdrawal from the UK, hence why I voted No. It isn't a distraction, nor are the practical problems involved with withdrawing from the EU a distraction.

It's for the withdrawal campaigns to convince me otherwise. The Yes campaign did nowhere near enough to settle my concerns over withdrawal from the UK, hence why I voted No. It isn't a distraction, nor are the practical problems involved with withdrawing from the EU a distraction.

Thats the conservative and unionism party in you thats telling you that

Archived