One year ago today

Fide

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a year it's been. Was a gutter on the 19th but Scotland is a better place for the engagement on both sides of last year's debate. Only people who put a slight dampener on it are the minority of folk (not hard to spot on this thread) who's only interest in this comes in the form of contrarian bitterness towards others. I feel pretty bad for folk like that - whether you're Yes or No, there's nothing to be gained from being miserable and hateful.

I don't regret voting Yes but I wouldn't do it again in a referendum in the next decade. We've made a decision, it was a decisive result and we should work with what we have to give the new Scotland Bill a chance to pass and bed-in, and see how Holyrood handles its extensive new powers.

I have found the rise of identity politics in the last year in Scotland and beyond deeply worrying. Dispassionate, rational, sceptical and critical debate has been displaced at an ever rising rate of noughts by tribal, unthinking, polarised politics. It's the era of the useful idiots, SNP-bad and HopeOverFearite alike, and Scotland is suffering for it. The only difference I can see is that the Yes movement is enthusiastic to co-opt this politics as a means to an end. I think this is frankly dangerous and must be counteracted as strongly as possible. For the foreseeable future that means constructing an alternative to that movement, not supporting its end goal.

I agree that another referendum soon would be a bad thing I'm afraid the rest of this is the Lib Dems' downfall in a nutshell. Everyone's being irrational, everyone's ignorant, it's dangerous, we're the sensible ones and everyone should realise it.

No, a lot of people just prefer the SNP as a party of government and Westminster representation than anyone else on the ballot. By all means, criticise the SNP, it's important that they are challenged on their record. But whilst the other parties completely fail to articulate a good reason to vote for them as well, the SNP will likely continue their dominance. There's nothing sinister about that, it's really quite straight forward politics.

Thing is, if it wasn't for the No Campaign's own goals, the result wouldn't have been as close as it was.

Still a resounding result that even the most confident of Unionists could never have predicted, Clackmannanshire was good, but when the likes of Falkirk and Stirling had started to fall, we knew we were in for a special night!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-34283948

Interesting pice by the bbc today , their poll seems to rubbish the suggestion that it was just the older generation who voted no in bulk , the 16-24 section of their polls show a clear no victory

Uni students in the 18-24 section: lots of other UK born and EU demographics which were strongly No.

Still a resounding result that even the most confident of Unionists could never have predicted, Clackmannanshire was good, but when the likes of Falkirk and Stirling had started to fall, we knew we were in for a special night!

You make it sound like a war. Is that how the unionist saw it - each area had to fall. Negative sentiment is the bastion of the Union. Shame that these areas could not rise up and take their future into the hands of Scotland.

One year has passed and Confi and John Lambies Doos are still in the huff like teenagers. A few voices from SNP are starting to realise their campaign wasn't that good but most are still shouting it's the medias fault and some still believe the vote was rigged.

I think the next time indyref comes the SNP should try a positive campaign.

You make it sound like a war. Is that how the unionist saw it - each area had to fall. Negative sentiment is the bastion of the Union. Shame that these areas could not rise up and take their future into the hands of Scotland.

That's exactly how it felt at the time, especially on here, the bastions of the Nationalists almost had us convinced that the Union was about to break, thankfully it didn't come to fruition! Negative? Naw, it was a joy to behold mate!

Aye of course it was, enjoy the game today mate, ah sorry it's tomorrow Dundee at home, take your deodorant with you eh? Aw the best Rab

:lol:

I've not missed a single Arbroath game this season ya rocket

Hating your new club doesn't mean I support the other half, bigot

:lol:

I've not missed a single Arbroath game this season ya rocket

Hating your new club doesn't mean I support the other half, bigot

F*ck this Bigot shite Lichtie, it's nonsense, wee tenner on both teams to score and Arbroath win at 5/2 will get you a nice wee pint and a fish supper for you and your boyfriend! Have a good un!

Archived