Sectarianism just part of the national game

~~~

In fact a lot of the people signing these songs do not understand what they mean, it's usually a bunch of daft young boys pished.

Once upon a time, when I was a daft young boy I also sang some of these so called sectarian songs at away games (a lot of the songs are just Irish songs and not necessarily sectarian which a lot of folk don't seem to understand including yourself). At no point did I sing these songs because I wanted to join the IRA or kill people, I sang them as it created an atmosphere and the songs are catchy. As I grew up, got a job and had a family I stopped singing them and would no longer sing them nowadays. That's pretty much how it works, it is literally people singing songs and if you think that these people are all bigoted then you have no clue what you are talking about.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are Rock songs, pop songs, R&B songs you have sung in your life and not believed in their message or meaning, but more the fact you enjoy the song. Its the same thing....you don't need to be running around with a balaclava and a rifle looking for Protestants to kill just because you sing a few songs at an away football groun

To answer your question, I have been called a fe***n off many fans from other teams while in their stadium and outside and am not going to sit and list every single one them because ill be here all day. The Killie story was a true story, the guy didn't come at me at 100mph and nearly kill me like some seem to have taken it as, he bumped into me going at about 10mph, it caused no injury whatsoever and he was put in his place after his sectarian abuse, no need to run to the police and cry like most on here would, we deal with it there and then and go home.

Can I ask ..how was he put in his place ?

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moaning about the ugly sisters all the time is boring, have a look at your own club. What does your club do when the Old Firm are in town? Come on in guys, have a seat. Give me your money!

Celtic and Rangers take the money and so does every club in Scotland, the Old Firm fans sing what they want and always have and all our clubs take the money.

Sectarianism and money v no sectarianism and no money? We take the money every time. Every club.

Tell them running your own club not to take the money, don't let their fans in, see how you get on with that one.

Sadly, there's a lot of truth in there. We're always told that our cubs are the SFA and the SPFL but they sit back and do sod all other than base the entire Scottish game around leeching off the bigot pound.

Not only do we welcome the bigots to our grounds with open arms, we're willing to inconvenience our own fans to accommodate them and let them bring their own stewards to enforce bigot standards, not those the rest of us are subjected to.

Rather than fight it our clubs seem determined to foist even more of it on us by bringing in the bigot B teams. There may be the occasional bit of lip service paid against it but the truth is there to see every week.

Nope, you haven't answered my question

just repeated an earlier yarn and made assumptions about me

So could you stop talking shite and give me examples of sectarian abuse from supporters outside the OF and show me which posters on here were agreeing with such behaviour towards the mighty Celtic

Starting to believe you haven't stopped singing sectarian songs and the accusations towards non OF fans is to justify you and your fellow supporters right to sing these songs anywhere you want not just at Celtic Park.

I told you, I'm not wasting my time with your daft question, I've got better things to do. If you don't think there is an issue outwith Celtic and Rangers then that's fine, lets agree to disagree, I know for a fact it exists and I'm happy with that.

I am curious though, when you refer to "these songs" what songs are we talking about exactly? Do you realise that the majority of songs our support sing are not sectarian in any way? Yes, one or two dodgy songs get added in at some grounds but you need to be very careful with what you are calling sectarian.....there is a big difference between an Irish song and a sectarian song. Its not as common now to hear the actual sectarian songs nowadays, its not our fault you think all songs are sectarian.

You are a liar.

I'm cafflick and also of 'Irish origin', (I know these things matter to ugly sisters supporters). My entire family is also of the left foot variety as well as people I went to one of those sky fairy schools with. Never, not once, not ever, not even a wee bit have any of us, (who sit in different parts of the ground), heard anything even close to Sectarian abuse from any Killie fan...ever. Some of the hard of hearing do mistake Ayr for Fe**ian in the 'Killie Boys' but that's because they have an agenda to maintain.

Utter, utter, pap.

Don't try to tar genuine football fans with Scotland's shame!

Pray tell, why do Killie fans use an extremely racist word for Ayr fans ?

You are a liar.

I'm cafflick and also of 'Irish origin', (I know these things matter to ugly sisters supporters). My entire family is also of the left foot variety as well as people I went to one of those sky fairy schools with. Never, not once, not ever, not even a wee bit have any of us, (who sit in different parts of the ground), heard anything even close to Sectarian abuse from any Killie fan...ever. Some of the hard of hearing do mistake Ayr for Fe**ian in the 'Killie Boys' but that's because they have an agenda to maintain.

Utter, utter, pap.

Don't try to tar genuine football fans with Scotland's shame!

You know I can do that too....I knew 100s of Celtic fans and not one of them have ever heard a bigoted word come from another Celtic fan at Celtic Park.

Well done!!

I couldn't care less what your background is, Killie are in my experience and opinion up there with Hearts as one of the worst set of fans in this country.

Pray tell, why do Killie fans use an extremely racist word for Ayr fans ?

It's actually an Ayrshire idiom that you are referring too and has absolutely no reference to race whatsoever. If you want the etymology of the word in Ayrshire it refers to coal miners being dirty, and as we would say black mocket. So when Ayr fans are called black b**tards we are calling them dirty.

Also, and I'm not sure if you've noticed this, they play in black.

Every time the Aberdeen fans are "slagging the ibrox disaster or Ian Durrant" it reinforces the belief. I think fines to start, then points deducted would get the message across as the decent but scared fans would surely say something each time it happened other than:

Geezo, it was only 2 nights ago there were flares let off at a Linlithgow v Forfar game.....as I said lets start points deductions, we'll have a full league on 0 points if its correctly enforced.

Not really the same thing Tartantony. What the whole of Scotland hate is the religious bigotry and sectarianism attached to both the greens and the blues. This is a reflection on our country, all of us and most people who are not rangers or celtic fans, i.e. most of the population then are embarrassed and angry that you still peddle that sort of stuff in the 21st century. Just be ashamed and accept that there are no excuses for this sort of behaviour.

To help you understand why once more, I'll simplify it further for you and your kin. Substitute the word, ‘f-e-n-i-a-n’ with ‘black mens’ in that adorable rangers song sung most weeks now about ‘up to our knees’ and tell me that it’s ok in this day and age. (Neither is ok by the way).

This is the method they teach in the more enlightened schools to combat sectarianism and racism. Other clubs fans’ no doubt have sung foul songs about all sorts of things but generally not in a sectarian or racist or bigoted manner which is the difference of course.

I told you, I'm not wasting my time with your daft question, I've got better things to do. If you don't think there is an issue outwith Celtic and Rangers then that's fine, lets agree to disagree, I know for a fact it exists and I'm happy with that.

I am curious though, when you refer to "these songs" what songs are we talking about exactly? Do you realise that the majority of songs our support sing are not sectarian in any way? Yes, one or two dodgy songs get added in at some grounds but you need to be very careful with what you are calling sectarian.....there is a big difference between an Irish song and a sectarian song. Its not as common now to hear the actual sectarian songs nowadays, its not our fault you think all songs are sectarian.

See this is where I disagree and this is where the notion of your club and rangers taking 'every reasonable step' to eradicate it is nonsense.

These Irish songs may not say anything directly offensive like referencing killing Protestants or promoting the IRA but it all feeds into the culture of Ireland, republicanism and the old wars. It is similar to the other side singing God save the queen etc, they can say with some weight behind it that it is just the British national anthem, but we all know what it is really about. We know why it is sung. It is all relevant.

You know I can do that too....I knew 100s of Celtic fans and not one of them have ever heard a bigoted word come from another Celtic fan at Celtic Park.

Well done!!

I couldn't care less what your background is, Killie are in my experience and opinion up there with Hearts as one of the worst set of fans in this country.

What happened to them? They weren't all ran over in Killie were they?

You went around asking 100s of Celtic fans if any of them had heard a bigoted word come out from each other???.

That nose of yours must be pretty long by now.

That was me being sarcastic about the ridiculous comment from the Killie fan, would've hoped that would be obvious

Not really the same thing Tartantony. What the whole of Scotland hate is the religious bigotry and sectarianism attached to both the greens and the blues. This is a reflection on our country, all of us and most people who are not rangers or celtic fans, i.e. most of the population then are embarrassed and angry that you still peddle that sort of stuff in the 21st century. Just be ashamed and accept that there are no excuses for this sort of behaviour.

To help you understand why once more, I'll simplify it further for you and your kin. Substitute the word, ‘f-e-n-i-a-n’ with ‘black mens’ in that adorable rangers song sung most weeks now about ‘up to our knees’ and tell me that it’s ok in this day and age. (Neither is ok by the way).

This is the method they teach in the more enlightened schools to combat sectarianism and racism. Other clubs fans’ no doubt have sung foul songs about all sorts of things but generally not in a sectarian or racist or bigoted manner which is the difference of course.

You're right its not the same thing but if we are talking about fines and docking points etc then it can't just be Celtic and Rangers liable when things go wrong, it has to cover everything....which is why the clubs all voted against strict liability.

The whole of Scotland assumes there is complete bigotry in Glasgow and that all Rangers fans are Protestant, Catholic haters and vice versa which is complete nonsense. Most of these so called bigots are friends, family, partners, with the other side. This is why you see a lot of people like me on forums like this looking like we are defending bigotry, we are not defending the minority element that are bigoted we are simply trying to show the real Glasgow. For 95% of us the rivalry starts and ends at football.

You need to remember that the media glorify this to the max and make it out to be a lot worse than reality

Back in the day I once gave a wee Rangers supporting burd a right good finger bashing!! I didn't walk away smelling my fishy fingers thinking damn that prody fanny is howfin, much worse than a catholic fanny!!

Back in the day I once gave a wee Rangers supporting burd a right good finger bashing!! I didn't walk away smelling my fishy fingers thinking damn that prody fanny is howfin, much worse than a catholic fanny!!

Lol you are embarrassing yourself

I have never once been at a game where anything has been sung about the Ibrox disaster. You are truly clutching at straws now.

Aberdeen fans do have a bit of previous for singing about it whether you've heard it or not, fact.

And I suspect you have heard it and are simply telling a porky

You're right its not the same thing but if we are talking about fines and docking points etc then it can't just be Celtic and Rangers liable when things go wrong, it has to cover everything....which is why the clubs all voted against strict liability.

The whole of Scotland assumes there is complete bigotry in Glasgow and that all Rangers fans are Protestant, Catholic haters and vice versa which is complete nonsense. Most of these so called bigots are friends, family, partners, with the other side. This is why you see a lot of people like me on forums like this looking like we are defending bigotry, we are not defending the minority element that are bigoted we are simply trying to show the real Glasgow. For 95% of us the rivalry starts and ends at football.

You need to remember that the media glorify this to the max and make it out to be a lot worse than reality

Back in the day I once gave a wee Rangers supporting burd a right good finger bashing!! I didn't walk away smelling my fishy fingers thinking damn that prody fanny is howfin, much worse than a catholic fanny!!Why not just condemn it then, say its wrong and ask all your friends who go to games to stop singing the vile songs. If a man made derogatory comments about another’s skin colour they would be racist but following your argument it would be ok because it was in the family home with friends. Doesn't make sense. A better example would be that the family were leaving the house, meeting up with thousands of other like-minded folk and all singing offensive comments about people who are not white, not really ok, is it? Unless it pre-war Germany of course. To make it worse, if that’s possible, the TV cameras would cover it for the rest of the nation and world to see. To make it even worse, the SPFL/SFA do very little to condemn it.

The minority for the record can still be a huge number of course so I don't accept that ever from the greens or blues. It's pretty much the same as the 1970's sadly.

Im sorry but its no where near what it was in the 70s. It has improved a hell of a lot since even the late 90s. As I said earlier just watch some highlights from back then and you can hear the difference. Not to say that just because its better then that's fine, but it takes time to get rid of it completely

Just like the "Stairwell song"? A song that has never existed but we apparently sing every time we go to ibrox?

You are talking utter crap, Aberdeen fans are well known for signing about the Ibrox disaster. I cannot believe you are actually trying to deny it

Archived