Dumbarton v Rangers

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't brand anyone a bigot. I'd much rather a saltire.

If you look closely at the White Ensign, you will see a Saltire. It is an integral part of the Union Flag in the top left corner. And fair enough, ot was not you who branded anyone a bigot, my apologies.

There is nothing sectarian or bigoted on that flag which is the White Ensign of the Royal Navy, not an England flag.

Do you have something against England or the English? If so I would be careful about branding anyone a bigot.

No, there isn't. There is however in the phrase 'No surrender'.

No, there isn't. There is however in the phrase 'No surrender'.

Please explain how the phrase no surrender is sectarian. As far as I am aware the phrase originates from the siege of Derry where young boys slammed the gates shut in the face of an army and self proclaimed King who wanted to destroy them and their way of life.

At the end of the day, sectarian or not, the flag is highly cringeworthy. Especially when you religiously bring it to the games at Dumbarton as if to prove some utterly worthless point.

If the owner of the flag is who I'm led to believe it is then I can assure you all he is an absolute pellet of the highest order. Infact the flag should be used to remind ourselves how lucky we are that c***s like that chose not to follow their hometown club.

Please explain how the phrase no surrender is sectarian. As far as I am aware the phrase originates from the siege of Derry where young boys slammed the gates shut in the face of an army and self proclaimed King who wanted to destroy them and their way of life.

That would be the previously crowned one who'd been deposed (illegally, since they called it a revolution) I suppose?

Hardly self proclaimed. You may be confusing him with his son or grandson.

Destroy them and their way of life is probably an exaggeration. He was King for a few years and hadn't tried to do that. As I understand it he was only trying to get his crown back.

As the man said: Irrelevant history thread for this please.

I agree that this stuff is boring beyond belief, however baseless accusations of sectarianism and bigotry cannot go unchallenged.

:lol: Ok then

Let's not let this thread descend into a cringeworthy thread about Ireland in the 1600s. It's all gone rather well thus far.

At the end of the day, sectarian or not, the flag is highly cringeworthy. Especially when you religiously bring it to the games at Dumbarton as if to prove some utterly worthless point.

If the owner of the flag is who I'm led to believe it is then I can assure you all he is an absolute pellet of the highest order. Infact the flag should be used to remind ourselves how lucky we are that c***s like that chose not to follow their hometown club.

*wonders who owns the flag* ..

As much as I don't like seeing it, there's a guy who sits infront of me who kept pointing it out, pure red face and aw shaky, I agree completely with what he was saying but it was funny seeing how raging he was by it. Needed to calm down a bit and pay attention to the game.

As much as I don't like seeing it, there's a guy who sits infront of me who kept pointing it out, pure red face and aw shaky, I agree completely with what he was saying but it was funny seeing how raging he was by it. Needed to calm down a bit and pay attention to the game.

What do you think he was upset about and why did you agree with him?....

What do you think he was upset about and why did you agree with him?....

It's just a bit of a kick in the balls that dumbarton based folk flock to the old firm and couldn't give a shit about their local side.

If everyone followed their local team scottish football would be a lot more healthy.

I ken fine the non-sectarian nature of Dumbarton's support, being one myself. I was referring to the town as a whole. There's simply no denying that the vast majority of the football fans in the town favour the old firm, and that there is such a flag hanging in our own ground is hugely galling.

I missed the irony. I'm not at my best...

Looks like we've found the Poundland version of Viking Ton here guys..... :lol:

It's just a bit of a kick in the balls that dumbarton based folk flock to the old firm and couldn't give a shit about their local side.

If everyone followed their local team scottish football would be a lot more healthy.

What's "healthy' about people having to favour their local team ahead of any other team?

That sort of philosophy is not good, in my opinion.

What's "healthy' about people having to favour their local team ahead of any other team?

That sort of philosophy is not good, in my opinion.

They don't "have" to obviously. But imagine that was the case, crowds would be more even, money spread around, there would be bette competition through the leagues.

If anyone thinks that wouldn't be the case then they are lying to themselves.

But anyway, In a way I like having a small support, no fannys, apart from some of the home fans we get!

Archived