Current crop of referee's in Junior Football

snoots

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The refs get sometimes unfair abuse and who in their right mind would wish to be one. Today the ref got in the way of the ball on four occasions and sent someone off for swearing. Surely dissent is a yellow card offence unless very aggressive and right in refs face?! We got hammered last week v Shettleston and nothing wrong with ref tbh and same kinda incident today he told our player to calm down would have deserved a booking and no complaints but surely can't get reds for swearing?! Jesus....

Swearing is a red card. Its not dissent and never has been.

My son's a ref and I watch him regularly. He's in his thirties so knows the game and how to communicate but the level of abuse week on week is something else. He always seems to do well out of his assessors yet the clubs send letters regularly about him to the sfa when they've lost or had a player sent off. All for something like 40 quid with no expenses along with all the training.

It wouldn't be me and I honestly don't know if he'll stick it out.

I'm just sort of pleased that Snooty and Sweep were at the same game.

And what has that to do with the ref having a terrible game? I just received mail from the Whitletts president who agrees that the refs performance was shocking.

I am not on any committee but a lot of people work hard to keep teams in the game and deserve better than they got today. This sort of standard would keep people away. He booked a whitletts player for hand ball when he put his hand up to protect his face The player finished up in hospital with broken teeth .This ref was out of his depth.

Why don't some of the people who criticise the refs sign up to take the course and become qualified themselves? If you think u can do a better job then go ahead. See how long u last with the abuse and constant critiscm, there is always 50% of people who think the ref got it wrong! These guys do a job that no one else wants, without them there would be no game. Yes they make some mistakes, don't we all.

There are players in every team who have a worse game than the ref but we never come on here and slag them off, despite the fact that he has at least 13 mates to support him plus managers and coaches. The ref, at best, has two people to support him, or, more often than not, no one.

Why do some hold the refs to higher account than the players?

A bad ref spoils the game. A bad player doesnt.

Why don't some of the people who criticise the refs sign up to take the course and become qualified themselves? If you think u can do a better job then go ahead. See how long u last with the abuse and constant critiscm, there is always 50% of people who think the ref got it wrong! These guys do a job that no one else wants, without them there would be no game. Yes they make some mistakes, don't we all.

Please don't.

I remember a reporter from the Ayrshire weekly press group took on such a challenge, primarily to find out what it was like to be a ref and report his findings. He then decided to keep on with the course and actually become a referee. Remember Craig Winning?

It's all about levels and standards is it not? The refs at junior level aren't the best out there but neither is the standard of junior football.

The better refs will be officiating at a higher level. The poorer ones will be doing Sunday league?

Do they have a system for clubs to assess the refs performance? Think in the licensed leagues both teams complete a proforma assessing the ref as assessors can't be at each game. Also think the ref makes assessments on the quality of the playing surface too to ensure that standards are met. Perhaps HJ can confirm?

£25 for minimum 3 hours of their time, plus unpaid travel time & expenses and have to buy all their kit - clearly they either don't get enough abuse at home, or are looking to move up the ranks!

its £45 these days

100%agree, would love to see some of the ref haters give it a go, but they wouldn't

Couple of people above seem to have been whooshed by my sarcasm :lol:!!

At the end of the day there is not a surplus of referees. Indeed there is a shortage hence lack of assistant refs and occasional issues at amateur level.

As such these are the best available. I'm really unsure what people are expecting or wanting in terms of referees "not being good enough", etc.?

A bad ref spoils the game. A bad player doesnt.

I can't agree with the 2nd part of your statement. Of course bad players can spoil it - many an afternoon has been ruined by rank bad play by one, or more often than not in my case, several bad performances from players in my team.

Anyhoo - my point was - none of us come on and call it out on here about players to the extent that the officials get it. Some of the language and insults vented by players and officials should not be tolerated.

Watching senior football how many times do you shout for something first time then change your mind on a replay. Guys in juniors very rarely get the chance to have their decision backed up by a TV camera.

The sheer arrogance of some junior fans annoys me that they are so confident in their own decision that they are prepared to think they can see a decision better than an sfa official who knows the up to date rules and is 99% of the time closer to the decision and is making the decision without bias.

Yes I shout for decisions when I attend games but in no way do I think I can call something better from 50 yards away than a guy 5 yards from it.

Archived