BSC Glasgow

andy25

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hearing the forthcoming Scottish Cup tie against Auchinleck Talbot will be all ticket as the crowd limit has been set at 560 . True or false ?

Thought Lochburn would hold a lot more than that .

Seems very low IMO. I know there's not much chance on a weekly basis but that size of capacity would rule them out of something like groundhop weekend would it not?

Interesting if correct. There was a thread either on here or the Junior sub-forum suggesting the seated stand had been closed, however I noticed a few people sitting in it while watching highlights of a BSCG game - either end of last season/start of this one. Lochburn used to be used for local cup finals.

Groundhoppers seem to be very particular about what counts as a hoppable venue or not. Groundsharers / tenants seem to be taboo - all the Lowland clubs will have been covered by the conclusion of this season's hop except for BSCG, Cumbernauld and Stirling who are the 3 sharing clubs, and they have moved on to including EOSL clubs with Civil Service and Craigroyston featuring. I've looked into English hops, they do not include sharers either, seemingly.

On the other hand a low capacity did not stop East Kilbride hosting a hop game last season, it got made all-ticket and the crowd was about 550, IIRC.

Hearing the forthcoming Scottish Cup tie against Auchinleck Talbot will be all ticket as the crowd limit has been set at 560 . True or false ?

Thought Lochburn would hold a lot more than that .

It does, and comfortably held a paying crowd of about 900 (probably nearer 1100 all in) at the Pollok v Clydebank Sectional final not that long ago. I'd heard BSC's capacity had been capped at some bizarrely low figure as part of their club licensing - I don't know for what reason, however 560 seems like a strangely specific figure to pull out of a hat.

During the really bad winter a few years back there had been a bit of subsidence at the raised enclosure which required closing it off along with the seated area which it gives access to. It's since been fixed, but remains closed - hardly anyone ever used anyway it as it's at the far end of the ground, but I assume it;s been taken into account when they've been setting the capacity . We normally pull in maybe 100-120 to our games, BSC a fair bit less than that, so it's not been an issue up until now.

No doubt this will stir up things again between the Juniors and the LL, but it is all opinion so here's mine. When Talbot played Stirling at Forthbank in the Scottish only one team took a bigger support than Talbot that whole season, Dundee, only just. When Talbot went to Stranraer in this competition only one team took a bigger support to Stair Park that season, Rangers. When Talbot went to Tyncastle they took twice as much fans as StMirren and St Johnston could manage between them in the following rounds. It is fair to say that, even though a Junior team, Talbot can generate a very large following. To have a club who have entered the pyramid and subsequently the big Scottish, who have ambitions to step up who have a set up where less than 600 fans can get in is just not good enough. Frankly an illustration of why many, my club included, are far from convinced of the validity of this whole pyramid set up.

A lot of Talbot fans are going to be very dissapointed and angry? The game should be moved to accommodate the size of the club who are visiting, after all would it take place if Rangers or Aberdeen were to be hosted? I would think not.

Take that up with the owners of the stadium then not the tenants.

I can remember Berwick and Arbroath playing Rangers at home in the Scottish Cup before and not moving the ties to,say, Easter Road or Tannadice so your argument is pish.

No doubt this will stir up things again between the Juniors and the LL, but it is all opinion so here's mine. When Talbot played Stirling at Forthbank in the Scottish only one team took a bigger support than Talbot that whole season, Dundee, only just. When Talbot went to Stranraer in this competition only one team took a bigger support to Stair Park that season, Rangers. When Talbot went to Tyncastle they took twice as much fans as StMirren and St Johnston could manage between them in the following rounds. It is fair to say that, even though a Junior team, Talbot can generate a very large following. To have a club who have entered the pyramid and subsequently the big Scottish, who have ambitions to step up who have a set up where less than 600 fans can get in is just not good enough. Frankly an illustration of why many, my club included, are far from convinced of the validity of this whole pyramid set up. A lot of Talbot fans are going to be very dissapointed and angry? The game should be moved to accommodate the size of the club who are visiting, after all would it take place if Rangers or Aberdeen were to be hosted? I would think not.
Take that up with the owners of the stadium then not the tenants. I can remember Berwick and Arbroath playing Rangers at home in the Scottish Cup before and not moving the ties to,say, Easter Road or Tannadice so your argument is pish.
Anyone get locked out of Meadowbank stadium last year ? Maybes a dozen or so fans may not make it into Lochburn then based on last season's crowd :o

Take that up with the owners of the stadium then not the tenants.

I can remember Berwick and Arbroath playing Rangers at home in the Scottish Cup before and not moving the ties to,say, Easter Road or Tannadice so your argument is pish.

Thank you for your reasoned response. Arbroath and Berwick do not have a 560 crowd limit, if they did it would have been a different case IMHO. The club chose to rent this venue which is not fit for purpose in this case, it is the club who should take responsibility, not the tenants.

Anyone get locked out of Meadowbank stadium last year ?

Maybes a dozen or so fans may not make it into Lochburn then based on last season's crowd :o

Meadow bank stadium holds thousands, as for last year's crowd, from memory official attendance was around 750. Fair to say that Talbot made up around 95% of the crowd, think your estimate is a fair bit out my good man, Talbot are clearly capable of taking 800 or more, they did at Forthbank and Stranraer. It is a farce!

Meadow bank stadium holds thousands, as for last year's crowd, from memory official attendance was around 750. Fair to say that Talbot made up around 95% of the crowd, think your estimate is a fair bit out my good man, Talbot are clearly capable of taking 800 or more, they did at Forthbank and Stranraer. It is a farce!

And so the crowd obsession carries on do crowds win games.........

And so the crowd obsession carries on do crowds win games.........

This has nothing to do with what or who wins games, are you 10 or something? This is about a club being shoehorned into a pyramid system that has had accusations of not being thought through properly. The fact that the club in question have a venue that is not fit for purpose for any decent sized support would support said accusation. The fact that hundreds of Talbot fans might not see the game is scandalous, not to mention the loss of revenue. Sorry but it is just not good enough and something should be done about it.

As for the LL, well not exactly brilliant PR, is It!

Licencing doesn't appear to take into account capacity not under cover, suggesting a total capacity of 100 is acceptable. Imo that's too low, however i don't think 560 is an unreasonable capacity for a lowland league club. Fair weather fans that miss out will just need to suck it up. All ticket games may be very uncommon at this level, but i don't think we should be demandding clubs have huge capacity's , just in case...

I think its slightly hypocritical to mock sides for small supports and then attack them for not having a big capacity.

The only viable alternative would seem to be having well under 1000 fans rattling about Firhill, which isn't going to get anybody moist in terms of atmosphere. As I said earlier, Lochburn's held near enough twice the crowd figure BSC seem to have been capped at safely and comfortably in the last couple of years...I've got to admit I was surprised when I heard how low it had been set.

As things stand, the Talbot regulars at least will all get to the game - I assume they'll have some way of distributing tickets so that season ticket holders and punters who go week in and week out will take precedence, and the ones that miss out will be the ones who just show up for the big games.

Hold up. In a crowd of 750 it's fair to say that Talbot fans made up 712 of that amount? So there were no neutrals and no extra fans than normal supporting city that day but actually less than their usual number?

Ah, the return of Isabel Goudie and the Auchinleck Calculator.

Here are some facts... attendances at Talbot's previous Scottish Cup trips to non-league opposition, most of whom probably have larger home supports than BSC Glasgow, have been 488, 425, 592 (an Ayrshire Junior derby v Girvan) and 573 (prominent encounter against LL leader Edinburgh City in R2). So all have been under 600 and the average has been about 520. Why would this see you wanting BSCG stripped of the home advantage if the capacity were to end-up being 560? It would seem eminently adequate.

Plenty clubs in the competition have limited capacities - and remember Lochburn Park is a Junior ground, incidentally - and in the last couple of decades the only ties shifted away from home venues have been a couple of Albion Rovers ties plus the Harestane tie as they use an open playing field. At least all-ticket arrangements are better than Culter v Linlithgow Rose last season... capacity of only 350 and admission based on 'first-come-first-served'?!

Ah, the return of Isabel Goudie and the Auchinleck Calculator.

Here are some facts... attendances at Talbot's previous Scottish Cup games against non-league opposition, most of whom probably have larger home supports than BSC Glasgow, have been 488, 425, 592 (an Ayrshire Junior derby v Girvan) and 573 (prominent encounter against LL leader Edinburgh City in R2). So all have been under 600 and the average has been about 520. Why would this see you wanting BSCG stripped of the home advantage if the capacity were to end-up being 560? That would seem perfectly reasonable.

Plenty clubs in the competition have limited capacity - and remember Lochburn Park is a Junior ground, incidentally - and in the last couple of decades the only ties shifted away from home venues has been a couple of Albion Rovers ties plus the Harestane tie as they use an open playing field. At least all-ticket arrangements are better than Culter v Linlithgow Rose last season... capacity of only 350 and admission based on 'first-come-first-served'?!

I stand corrected. The number of ed city fans plus neutrals at the Talbot game now totals 29 folk!

I'd treat any crowd estimate or recollection from Isabel Goudie with a bag of salt... he's become utterly notorious on the subject to the extent of it being a standing joke.

Most infamous case of this was an away trip to a Highland League team, where his claim regarding the number of away fans travelling on official buses - 500 as I recall - turned out to be a few dozen in excess of the aggregate match attendance; cars, trains, home fans, neutrals and all.

Archived