Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Messi and Ronaldo have stuck out as the two genuinely world class players of their generation, with the likes of Iniesta not far behind, however once we dig a little deeper I'd say everyone else is pretty much of a muchness.

The standard of player is deteriorating as far as I can see, I did have very high hopes for Paulo Dybala but he doesn't seem to have improved much in the past 24 months and the fact that a 33 year old Modric picked up this years Balon d'or speaks volumes of the current crop of player as far as I see it.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of good and some very good players out there, however consistent performers at the very highest level appear very few and far between........

But Messi and Ronaldo have been freaks, in that there was nobody close to their level before them, so it's more like things are settling back down into mere mortals winning the Balon D'Or again. Guys like Kaka, Shevchenko and Nedved - excellent players but up and down consistency-wise over the years and never pulling off the ridiculous 70 goal season pish Messi did.

On 21/12/2018 at 11:31, MarkoRaj said:

"towering neediness" is Scottish cringe at its best. It's patently obvious that Robertson is an outstanding player, there's no reason not to celebrate that. 

Pathetic need to put people down for any hint of wanting Scottish players to do well and be recognised for it

A toweringly needy post, I'd say.

On 21/12/2018 at 15:46, WATTOO said:

Messi and Ronaldo have stuck out as the two genuinely world class players of their generation, with the likes of Iniesta not far behind, however once we dig a little deeper I'd say everyone else is pretty much of a muchness.

The standard of player is deteriorating as far as I can see, I did have very high hopes for Paulo Dybala but he doesn't seem to have improved much in the past 24 months and the fact that a 33 year old Modric picked up this years Balon d'or speaks volumes of the current crop of player as far as I see it.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of good and some very good players out there, however consistent performers at the very highest level appear very few and far between........

Iniesta was world class, same as xavi, barca have never replaced either of them properly and never will, same as when messi eventually fucks off

• 2 months later...
Kenny was better every England international pretty much said he was best they played with or came up against and Liverpool were top of Europe at the time
Totally agree there mate, Kenny was the best. Suppose what I'm trying to say is that if a Scotsman today playing for a high profile team won the golden boot, we'd be calling him world class.

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
8 hours ago, Tartan Tammy 1297 said:
Kenny was better every England international pretty much said he was best they played with or came up against and Liverpool were top of Europe at the time

Totally agree there mate, Kenny was the best. Suppose what I'm trying to say is that if a Scotsman today playing for a high profile team won the golden boot, we'd be calling him world class.

Ally McCoist won it twice in the 90s.

Was he World Class?

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Was he World Class?

The clue was 'high profile team'

Did Rangers not go quite far in Europe in 91-92?

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:
Was he World Class?

The clue was 'high profile team'

McCoist was preceded as Golden shoe winner by players in the Bulgarian  and Yugoslav leagues and succeed by players from the league of Wales, Armenia and Georgia  which is when they decided to base it on Goals scored multiplied by a factor of how strong the league was

Which meant Classic Ronaldo won the first one under the current rules

Under current rules Ian Wright's 29 goals for arsenal in 91/92 would have beaten McCoist's 34 by 58 points to 51

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Did Steve Archibald not win the European Golden Boot with Barcelona in the 80s. If so, surely world class

Turns out He didn't

Atletico Madrid's Hugo Sanchez was the top scorer in La Liga in 1984-85 with 19 goals, Archibald got 15

43 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Archibald was part of the first Barca team to win La Liga in over a decade, and also won the UEFA Cup (or whatever it was called then) with Spurs. 

He also played in Barcelona's 1986 European cup final defeat on penalties to Steaua Bucharest, their first appearance in 25 years after scoring the decisive goals away to Porto and Juve in the earlier rounds

This was the first Final since Heysel, An English team(usually Liverpool)  had made it to 8 out of the last nine finals so the standard of competition had dipped to an extent

It's worth noting that Barca won their semi against Gothenburg on penalties (both ties had finished 3-0 to the home team) and Gothenburg had in turn only eliminated Aberdeen on away goals.

Back then the difference in class between the big countries' leagues and the rest of us wasn't quite the yawning gap that it is now.

He also scored in Hibs first win at Tynecastle in about a decade

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)