Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Alan Hansen, Graeme Souness and Kenny Dalglish.

The spine of the Liverpool side in the 80's when they were the best team in Europe, and they were all Scottish.

How our national team was still so shite at major tournaments is beyond me.

Toughie. Not sure, but it's been a while. I liked Durrant as a player, but I'm not sure he was 'world class' and that was back in the mid to late '80s.

I suppose you could class Collins and Lambert in that bracket given they were playing for Monaco and Dortmund, and Lambert won the Champions League with Dortmund.

least they got there

Well they didn't get to Euro 80,84 or 88. Absolutely remarkable given the amount of talent at our disposal.

For qualifying for Euro 88 we finished 4th in a 5 team group, behind Belgium, Bulgaria and... Wait for it.... Group winners Southern Ireland!

I think it's pretty likely Scotland will never have an impact at a major tournament again, certainly not in anyone reading this's lifetime.

Therefore it's such a shame we don't have a proud history to be nostalgic about, because we really should have when you see the quality of players we had back in the day. The future looks bleak and so does the past!

Well they didn't get to Euro 80,84 or 88. Absolutely remarkable given the amount of talent at our disposal.

For qualifying for Euro 88 we finished 4th in a 5 team group, behind Belgium, Bulgaria and... Wait for it.... Group winners Southern Ireland!

I think it's pretty likely Scotland will never have an impact at a major tournament again, certainly not in anyone reading this's lifetime.

Therefore it's such a shame we don't have a proud history to be nostalgic about, because we really should have when you see the quality of players we had back in the day. The future looks bleak and so does the past!

shows just how good a job both roxburgh and craig brown did in getting teams filled with the likes of tom boyd and colin calderwood to national finals

Go and watch the two legs of the 2010 Champions League QF between Man Utd and Milan and watch Darren Fletcher's performance in those games. He was without question one of the best defensive midfielders in the world at around that period. One of the top 10 in his position. Does that make him world-class?

Souness. He was world class, I don't think Hansen was. And he played until later than Dalglish.

Goram's a good shout though. Possibly the best Scottish player of his generation.

Goram was good, but world class?

Surely he'd have been bought by a decent club in his prime if that was even close to the truth.

alan Hansen wasn't anywhere near world class. he looked ok playing in defense for the best team in Europe, but at international level where he actually had to defend, he was shite

anyone thinking souness was world class should watch the 82 game against brazil. the Brazilians were on a different planet to him