Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

1 minute ago, skippy2015 said:

If lambert was world class he wouldn’t have ended up at Celtic for 2 million. Also only 40 caps for scotland not that great really. He was a very good player but to say world class is a step to far.

He was only capped in his mid 20s and became a completely different player when he went abroad after that. Would imagine his cap number would have increased significantly if he had gone earlier.

Yes, and nobody would really argue that the likes of Joel Matip, Georginio Wijnaldum or even Jordan Henderson from the current Liverpool team are world class - they are all just very good players who were in the right place at the right time. However, Robertson is one of the most important players in this Liverpool team and is clearly one of the best in his position in the world.

Under the radar? Salah, Firminho, Sane, Van Dijk, Alisson seem to get the headlines.

It is great that we have him available for Scotland but I feel we might be a bit biased.

Hopefully a few midfield or forward players end up at clubs of Liverpool’s stature. Then we’ll be on the right tracks for qualifying again.

I guess with Scotland it's hard to pick players that have played at a consistently high standard to be hailed as World Class.

Lambert and Robertson have to be up there for their European successes.

From a national point of view Richard Gough, Mo Johnston and even Andy Goram had spells where they were up there as being top players in their positions but not quite World Class.

Last one for me would be Kenny Dalglish. 

51 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

If lambert was world class he wouldn’t have ended up at Celtic for 2 million. Also only 40 caps for scotland not that great really. He was a very good player but to say world class is a step to far.

For a short period of time

The season won champions league with Dortmund, he was playing at a world class level, without a doubt

For a short period of time
The season won champions league with Dortmund, he was playing at a world class level, without a doubt

As with all these debates it depends on your definition of world class. For me top two or three players in that position at any given time. For that reason I wouldn’t say lambert was world class.

6 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

As with all these debates it depends on your definition of world class. For me top two or three players in that position at any given time. For that reason I wouldn’t say lambert was world class.

I would have said that year he was the top one in that position

1 minute ago, skippy2015 said:

Your obviously a Celtic fan then

With a monicker like binos

Interestingly after doing what he did at DM, Celtic when got hold of him played him further forward

Scottish fitba!!

40 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Was going to say exactly this, it's your interpretation of the term.

Lambert, good player who found a niche position in a talented team. And really made the most of it. Fair play to him.

But world class? Miles off for me

With a monicker like binos
Interestingly after doing what he did at DM, Celtic when got hold of him played him further forward
Scottish fitba!!

Ha ha true. yeah its strange thinking back it was a fantastic signing for a Scottish Club at the time to get a current European cup winner. Cant be to many examples out there of Scottish clubs signing current European cup holders.

2 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Ha ha true. yeah its strange thinking back it was a fantastic signing for a Scottish Club at the time to get a current European cup winner. Cant be to many examples out there of Scottish clubs signing current European cup holders.

Rangers took Klos from same 11

Prso from defeated finalist was closest since

5 minutes ago, Binos said:

Deschamps is the only one there's any debate over

That's ridiculous, there's about twenty.  And deschamps there's no debate, lambert wasn't even close.

Edited by Kuro