Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Archibald was part of the first Barca team to win La Liga in over a decade, and also won the UEFA Cup (or whatever it was called then) with Spurs. 

He also played in Barcelona's 1986 European cup final defeat on penalties to Steaua Bucharest, their first appearance in 25 years after scoring the decisive goals away to Porto and Juve in the earlier rounds This was the first Final since Heysel, An English team(usually Liverpool)  had made it to 8 out of the last nine finals so the standard of competition had dipped to an extent

It's worth noting that Barca won their semi against Gothenburg on penalties (both ties had finished 3-0 to the home team) and Gothenburg had in turn only eliminated Aberdeen on away goals.

Back then the difference in class between the big countries' leagues and the rest of us wasn't quite the yawning gap that it is now.

He also scored in Hibs first win at Tynecastle in about a decade

Also Player/Manager at Easy Fife, surely that completes the case for the defence m'lud???

It's bizarre to think that Barcelona had a Scot playing up front for them when I was a wean. A top European side relying on a Scot for goals wouldn't make it past the editor of a fantastical kids novel now  :(

Also, "Easy Fife" lol.

14 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

McCoist was preceded as Golden shoe winner by players in the Bulgarian  and Yugoslav leagues and succeed by players from the league of Wales, Armenia and Georgia  which is when they decided to base it on Goals scored multiplied by a factor of how strong the league was

Which meant Classic Ronaldo won the first one under the current rules

Under current rules Ian Wright's 29 goals for arsenal in 91/92 would have beaten McCoist's 34 by 58 points to 51

It's a load of shite – bring back the old ways minus the racism, stadium disasters etc.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, March 29, 2019 at 18:55, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's bizarre to think that Barcelona had a Scot playing up front for them when I was a wean. 

Not only that but a Scot who was derided by many at the time. To quote the original Only An Excuse: "Steve is an all round player, he can't do almost anything".

I think Ian Durrant would have gone on to be a world class player. It’s a total shame that his career was effectively ended with that tackle at Aberdeen. He came back and even represented Scotland again but he was never the same.

Its cyclical, in 20 years we'll have a world beater while Wales don't, thats life when you're not a major nation.

Did we skip a cycle or is a Left Back our next world class player? That would be just Scotland’s luck.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Has he won anything?

Can you be a world class player if you’ve won nothing?

I think yes you can be world class without winning major honours, he's one of (if not the best) players in his position in one of the top leagues in the world.  I would say he's probably one of the top 10 left backs in the world right now

Besides he's only 25 and has been at a top team for less than 2 years, give him time before trying to take him down. 

Edited by senorsoupe

10 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I think yes you can be world class without winning major honours, he's one of (if not the best) players in his position in one of the top leagues in the world.  I would say he's probably one of the top 10 left backs in the world right now

Besides he's only 25, give him time before trying to take him down. 

I’m not trying to take him down. Just asking the questions. Personally, I don’t think you can be world class if you haven’t won any major trophies. Even if he does, Lambert won the  Champions League with Borrusia Dortmund but very few, if any, on here thought he was world class.

Maybe he’ll win the Premier League or Champions League this season.

Edited by Scary Bear

To go off on a slight tangent, how many world-class goalscorers has Scotland had?

Most of us will remember the old jokes about Scottish goalkeepers, but unarguably we've struggled far more up front. In almost a century and a half, only four players have amassed more than twenty goals for Scotland. When I was a kid, the metric often quoted for a top striker was roughly a goal every other game, and I don't think anyone's come even close to that since Denis Law.

Have we been particularly poorly served for goalscorers, or does it just seem like most nations end up with a real predator or two in every generation?

To go off on a slight tangent, how many world-class goalscorers has Scotland had?

East Fife's Henry Morris must be up there surely, with a 300% scoring rate for his country???

Eta: East Fife's Charlie "Legs" Fleming must be up there surely, with a 200% scoring rate for his country???

Boyd's close to a 50% ratio  with 7 in 18. Of course 18 caps in the modern game isn't really a huge number and he never really had a full international career - largely his own fault. Also, he will always be tarred with the 'only scores against wee teams' brush (although that's kind of missing the point as any squad needs a scorer of that ilk, and it's generally those kind of strikers who end up with high ratios).

Mo Johnston worth a mention - 14 in 38 is near-ish-ish the 1 in 2 ratio.

But yeah I can't recall us ever having a genuine prospect up front. Always seems to be that we're looking for someone who 'can do a job'. Hence we've had to go with the likes of Chris Martin, John McGinlay, Darren Jackson etc. Not having a pop at them, but it'd be nice - just once - for us to bring through an absolute baller of a centre forward.

Obviously he'd quit playing after 2 caps due to a dispute with the manager or would get a career-ending injury at the age of 19.

My first memory of Scottish international football is the qualifying campaign for Italia '90, which featured Mo Johnston scoring six goals in the first five qualifiers, including an overhead kick in a win over France.  

Leading Scottish scorers in the qualifying campaigns since

Euro 92 - McCoist 4 goals

WC 94 - McCoist / Pat Nevin - 4 goals

Euro 96 - Scott Booth / John Collins - 4 goals

WC  98 - Kevin Gallagher - 6 goals

Euro 2000 - Billy Dodds - 4 goals

WC 2002 - Billy Dodds - 3 goals

Euro 2004 - Neil McCann / Kenny Miller - 2 goals

WC  2006 - Kenny Miller - 3 goals

Euro 2008 - Kris Boyd / James McFadden - 4 goals

WC 2010 - James McFadden - 2 goals

Euro 2012 - Kenny Miller / Steven Naismith - 2 goals

WC 2014 - Robert Snodgrass - 2 goals

Euro 2016 - Steven Fletcher - 7 goals

Edited by ICTChris

57 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Euro 96 - Scott Booth / John Collins - 3 goals

Booth scored 4 in that qualifying campaign - one in each of the home games v Faroes, Russia, Finland and San Marino.  For a while he looked like he was going to be totally electric up front and then he started getting injured and seemed to lose a bit of his pace and agility.   

ETA - still far from world class though, of course. In the post-WWII era arguably only Law and Dalglish, as an all-round attacker, could really fall into that category.

Edited by alternative maryhill