Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Imo, Giggs and Bale were/are world class, whereas Hughes and Ramsey, not so much. All four are better than anything we've produced for the last 30+ years, though, which is sad.

I think Andy Robertson is just below the level required to deserve the title, but class definitions of players are always going to vary outside the very top players. It's probably fair to say that he's not on the level of Marcelo, Alaba or Sandro (and probably a few others as well), but that he absolutely could be a top three LB in the world in a couple of years. Either way, he's the best Scottish player there's been since the 1980's, and it's great watching him playing well at the top level every week.

Imo, Giggs and Bale were/are world class, whereas Hughes and Ramsey, not so much. All four are better than anything we've produced for the last 30+ years, though, which is sad.

Hughes wasn’t even the best Welsh Goal poacher of his generation.

Ian Rush was only two years older,

come to think of it he still is

Wales might be able to produce the odd world beater every now and then  but, until very recently, always had some absolute bumpkins in their team as well. It's not like there's a set coaching standard bringing out a raft of good players with the odd player who rises above it. Scotland, in my lifetime, have always managed to put a team of good players but no-one exceptional in it which I'd probably rather have. What good is Ryan Giggs on the left wing if yer defence is made up of guys playing for Hereford, Shrewsbury, Cardiff reserves and Rotherham?

16 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Wales might be able to produce the odd world beater every now and then  but, until very recently, always had some absolute bumpkins in their team as well. It's not like there's a set coaching standard bringing out a raft of good players with the odd player who rises above it. Scotland, in my lifetime, have always managed to put a team of good players but no-one exceptional in it which I'd probably rather have. What good is Ryan Giggs on the left wing if yer defence is made up of guys playing for Hereford, Shrewsbury, Cardiff reserves and Rotherham?

With International football and particularly with teams from smaller countries it's always going to be a bit of a "mixed ability" affair.

The important thing is whether the more prosaic talents are inspired by playing alongside the stars to bring their "A game " or whether the stars slack off towards the level of their team mates.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:45, DanMc99 said:

Andy Robertsons liverpool form has been top class for a year now, another season of this and he would have earned himself that status.

Leaving aside the superstars of the game I think anyone who is a regular first team player for a team competing in the latter stages of the Champions League (with the expectation that they might win it) can reasonably be considered as world class.

30 minutes ago, Northboy said:

Leaving aside the superstars of the game I think anyone who is a regular first team player for a team competing in the latter stages of the Champions League (with the expectation that they might win it) can reasonably be considered as world class.

I will have to disagree with you there.  Case in point Loris Karius

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:
1 hour ago, Northboy said:

I will have to disagree with you there.  Case in point Loris Karius

Fair enough - I still think it's a reasonable criteria but would benefit from a certain number of appearances over a certain length of time to cull out the likes of Karius.

Djimi Traoré says no.

22 hours ago, Northboy said:

If you add consistently to this then I'd agree.

Means you're cutting out the dross-anomalies mentioned

I think we can say Robertson is world class. He's been consistently brilliant for a solid amount of time and is a standout in an excellent side. 

I'd rate him as perhaps the best left back in the world, there is only really Alba that I can think of on the same level consistently. 

Some of the other names mentioned are mad. Davies? Marcelo? Marcelo is an absolute liability. 

I'm at every Atletico Madrid home game and they have the joint best defence in la liga. I'd absolutely bite your hand off if offered Robertson at left back, he would comfortably be first pick and improve the left side.

Yeah, Robertson is a top, top, left back. Definitely the best Scottish player I've seen play in the 20 odd years I can remember.

Alba, Alaba, Sandro and Marcelo the only players that spring to mind you could even argue are better.

I think we can say Robertson is world class. He's been consistently brilliant for a solid amount of time and is a standout in an excellent side. 
I'd rate him as perhaps the best left back in the world, there is only really Alba that I can think of on the same level consistently. 
Some of the other names mentioned are mad. Davies? Marcelo? Marcelo is an absolute liability. 
I'm at every Atletico Madrid home game and they have the joint best defence in la liga. I'd absolutely bite your hand off if offered Robertson at left back, he would comfortably be first pick and improve the left side.
Is he really a standout or does he stand out to us as he's Scottish?

Some on here didn't have Fletcher as world class when he was playing consistently for a Man Utd team winning premier league's and Champions leagues, just a thought.

Marcelo is absolutely world class, been around at the highest level winning trophys for 10years.

Is he really a standout or does he stand out to us as he's Scottish?

Some on here didn't have Fletcher as world class when he was playing consistently for a Man Utd team winning premier league's and Champions leagues, just a thought.

Marcelo is absolutely world class, been around at the highest level winning trophys for 10years.

Good points. Tho you could make the converse argument re Marcelo: do we have an 'edited highlights' perception of him as some sort of flawless 8-10/10 every game type of player just because we rarely see footage of run of the mill matches the likes of which the previous poster referred to?

I do agree that he (Marcelo) is definitely world class, but think it's important not to make a glass ceiling for Robertson by painting an unrealistic and unattainable picture of Marcelo's abilities.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

If ye had to make a 23 man squad of the world's best players. Would Andy Robertson be in it?

Probably naw. So yer pushing it to say he's World Class. Coupla years time tho'...

I doubt he'd be in it either but your argument implies there are only 23 world class players available.

Well, yeah, world class is a synonym for elite. If you aren't part of the elite then you aren't world class.

Also noticed The Guardian's top 100 players that just came out doesn't feature Robertson but has a handful of left backs in it shows that, for most folk, he's not in the top 3 left backs in the world.