The Evening Times and it's Junior coverage.

Glenconner

Is this because of the recent article on Musselburgh regarding the prank photograph.

Probably. He's just a silly, angry wee man who seems to think the worlds against Musselburgh. Maybe the News called them Musselburgh United by accident, that seems to make him irate as well.

I think the Evening News junior coverage is great, good writers who take in a lot of games and are knowledgable of the grade and players etc in it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The newsboys shout was always "Times, News and Citizen"

Pink one was Times(Outram), Green the Citizen(Beaverbrook), and plain white the Evening News (Mirror group)

I think the News and Citizen were both gone by the early 80's.

No doubt at all the Citizen was the one for the junior coverage, you could buy a paper less than an hour after the end of the game with all the full time scores and reports of many junior games up till halftime included.

Can't remember the name of the lead junior reporter but I seem to remember George Manson was the one for the Times.

Tommy Workman did a superb job covering the juniors for the Citizen. George Manson was indeed the man for the Times, and Alex Young also covered for the same paper.

Laughable. Your 'post' - rant is riddled with bitterness.

Are you suggesting east clubs ban the evening news? How do you expect juniors clubs to survive without local papers giving them exposure because lets be honest there are clubs up and down the country who are miles behind others in terms of social media and updating their own website.

Considering most of the juniors fans are of an older generation there are some that most likely rely on newspapers to find info about their clubs and fixture details

The vast majority of folk outside football see that paper for what it is. Far from scrapping the barrel - the Evening News is stuck to the underside of it. I would think it is fairly clear i ain't a fan of it.

To go with the arguement that clubs won't survive because the evening news isn't there is crazy.

There are good clubs like Linlithgow, Penicuik, Newtongrange and Bonnyrigg who have signs outside their ground and in the pubs telling folk when and where games are on, other slighty traditional clubs put their flag up to tell locals they are at home etc

The older supporters do have internet etc and the vast majority of clubs have excellent media services of their own.

If the Sports side of the paper changes its mentality and focuses on promoting games and clubs rather than making stories up and looking for dramatic headlines (as the front part of the paper does) then it may gain back some respect but sadly since the pink paper was withdrawn The Edinburgh Evening News has went up in price and down in quality and substance.

I make the point again, sadly clubs (the one i support as well) welcome them in with open arms. If it was up to me they wouldnt even get into the town. It is a shame that many club committees havent the balls to ban them.

• 1 month later...

Bump for this one to show that the sub-editors haven't exactly taken our comments to heart.

I hope that the printed edition is a bit more accurate given that the picture of "the Beith captain" appears to be the Ladeside manager.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/juniors/13949335.Juniors__We_can_take_a_Mighty_step_forward_by_busting_our_away_day_jinx__says_Beith_ace_Kevin_McDonald/

Personally I buy it every day to see the junior section as I do the sun midweek and a Saturday to read Scott Campbell's junior section. Also my Gk friend Frazer Wilson does a good bit in the daily record. The more the merrier

Personally I buy it every day to see the junior section as I do the sun midweek and a Saturday to read Scott Campbell's junior section. Also my Gk friend Frazer Wilson does a good bit in the daily record. The more the merrier

I would never admit to buying that absolute rag 'The Sun' But! Every couple of weeks I get the Wednesday paper as it's the only one that prints every one of the twelve junior leagues.

Record is published solely for the benefit of Rangers and Celtic. Anytime I'm in Glesga I buy the Times, fair coverage of the juniors.

I tell you what we should do, you can give us folk in the east The Times and you can have the Evening News.

The Evening news:

A paper that is about as balanced as a pished, 1 legged, fat man.

A paper who write 1st and then ask questions.

A paper which thinks it is better than the people who read it and that it somehow speaks for them.

A paper who has poisoned it’s reporters into thinking that they have to come up with something to suite its story, rather than report on the facts.

A paper which thankfully will not be about much longer as rather like an episode of Eastenders – it is the same pish week in week out and eventually the folk who read it will get fed up with it.

Biased, pathetic, incompetent, rude, disgraceful, lying, negative, filthy fucking rubbish is a fairly accurate description of it.

Delighted that slowly clubs are beginning to realize what the Evening News are about and are not bending over for them anymore.

It is hugely disappointing that they are given access to any grounds in the east but I suppose the two big clubs in west Lothian need the news to help get info and destabilize their opponents, whilst the rest try to do their talking on the park

While I wouldn't go as far as you in my criticism of the Evening News, I have to say that I think its coverage of Junior Football is pathetic. They only ever seem to write articles on 3 or 4 Super League clubs. There is rarely anything on the South League despite it being the only league with all the clubs within its coverage area.

murder eh! our first headline since the 25th September aye it's us again.

Not talking about headlines, its the number of occasions your club is featured in the juniors column. Its been 3 whole days since your manager was last in it!

I agree that Pollok feature more than any other team in the Times but could that be because they are "media friendly". JOD has about a page to fill every day and probably still has contacts at the club if he needs a story. The manager also always seems willing to be interviewed so they are an easy club to fill column inches.

I am sure if other clubs asked him to do a story if they had something happening at their club he would be willing to cover it

I think he does a good job overall but there are 60+ clubs in the west region yet it seems to be the same clutch who appear every few days- Lok (Fri, Mon), Talbot (Sat, today) Medda, Time to give the lesser lights more coverage !

I think he does a good job overall but there are 60+ clubs in the west region yet it seems to be the same clutch who appear every few days- Lok (Fri, Mon), Talbot (Sat, today) Medda, Time to give the lesser lights more coverage !

It's a Glasgow based newspaper so he will obviously concentrate more on sides from the greater Glasgow area. This season he has Shettleston, Pollok, Arthurlie, Petershill and Rob Roy from the area all in the top division, and from what I've seen we have all had regular shots at being the main story.

Not talking about headlines, its the number of occasions your club is featured in the juniors column. Its been 3 whole days since your manager was last in it!

Might be best to take a wee seat before you read this,bud.Nice photie of wee Tony,btw. :)

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/juniors/14022950.Juniors__Relegation_nadir_was_the_spur_for_Pollok_boss_Tony_McInally_to_haul_southsiders_back_to_the_top_of_the_game/

Someone at Pollok is talking a load of rubbish if they are telling him it's 9 years since we were in the top 2.

We won it in 2008 and after that we lost it on the last day of the season.

But probably highest position in 5-6 years

Archived