Worst place you've ever visited

Hammer Jag

God the list could go on forever but I'll keep it short:

Sandnes, Norway. Infamous across Norway for "Ruten", the bus station, which is a no go area. Drugs dealt 24/7 and repeated rapes. And I had the unfortunate pleasure of living about 10 mins away by bus.

Kosice, Slovakia: Half of it is literally a slum

Newquay, England: Full of lads trying to get their hole in caravans. Fight central.

Edit: I second Barrow and Tegel Airport. Mind you Schoenefeld isn't much better.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Košice city centre is pretty good to be fair. I've no doubt though that being next to the failed state and with an obviously unintegrated Roma population makes things 'edgy' elsewhere. Prešov, the other 'big' 'city' in eastern Slovakia is similar, the train station in particular is crawling with mutants at all times of the day. Well worth visiting but don't bother with seeing 'where the locals live'. Brno is similarly dreadful outside the old town IMO.

Košice city centre is pretty good to be fair. I've no doubt though that being next to the failed state and with an obviously unintegrated Roma population makes things 'edgy' elsewhere. Prešov, the other 'big' 'city' in eastern Slovakia is similar, the train station in particular is crawling with mutants at all times of the day. Well worth visiting but don't bother with seeing 'where the locals live'. Brno is similarly dreadful outside the old town IMO.

Any Czech or Slovak place outside the old towns (with the exception of Prague - Vinohrady, Strasnice parts of Nove Mesto and Dejvice are lovely) are fucking minging. And in Brno you have a rather infamous street, Cejl.

And of course because not been racist in CZ mean not kicking a black man out your pub, i thought id leave this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_wall

:lol: I'd heard about the 'Roma walls' before - given that Ústí is seen as a complete bin anyway it seems more comical than anything else to split the difference. Much like setting up something similar for the residents of Methil. I was near Cejl in Brno looking for the only laundry place in the city; it is a shocking, dilapidated, dog-shite ridden area, and only about ten minutes from the centre.

Bratislava is pretty civilised and entirely safe throughout the north side of the river, which I didn't expect. I've not ventured into the high-rise forests of Petržalka or Devínska Nová Ves though. The difference here and in Prague, much like in Glasgow, is that you really need to consciously go out of the way to enter a slum scheme: they're far enough out from the sights that you can't just wander into them.

:lol: I'd heard about the 'Roma walls' before - given that Ústí is seen as a complete bin anyway it seems more comical than anything else to split the difference. Much like setting up something similar for the residents of Methil. I was near Cejl in Brno looking for the only laundry place in the city; it is a shocking, dilapidated, dog-shite ridden area, and only about ten minutes from the centre.

Bratislava is pretty civilised and entirely safe throughout the north side of the river, which I didn't expect. I've not ventured into the high-rise forests of Petržalka or Devínska Nová Ves though. The difference here and in Prague, much like in Glasgow, is that you really need to consciously go the way to enter a slum scheme: they're far enough out from the sights that you can't just wander into them.

Pterzalka is pretty much no go after dark. And you'd be surprised, walk to the end of Na Porici in Prague and you've hit the second biggest slum (Karlin). That was the only place I was really scared at night tbh, roma on meth are not to be fucked with. I saw a pregnant woman injecting it into her tit there once, just thought id add that.

Pterzalka is pretty much no go after dark. And you'd be surprised, walk to the end of Na Porici in Prague and you've hit the second biggest slum (Karlin). That was the only place I was really scared at night tbh, roma on meth are not to be fucked with. I saw a pregnant woman injecting it into her tit there once, just thought id add that.

Only ever been in Petrzalka during the day and it was fine. Walked along Na Porici on dozens of occasions, including late at night as we were staying in Namesti Republiky, never encountered anything like that.

I try to avoid shite places but was unfortunate enough to spend a day in Philadelphia a few years back. Awful city centre, nothing to do or see and it pished down relentlessly.

Hakone in Japan was a major letdown. Stuck in a hotel with raw eggs for breakfast was nae fun.

I try to avoid shite places but was unfortunate enough to spend a day in Philadelphia a few years back. Awful city centre, nothing to do or see and it pished down relentlessly.

Hakone in Japan was a major letdown. Stuck in a hotel with raw eggs for breakfast was nae fun.

The city centre of Philadelphia is indeed a dump, but you don't need to walk too far for it to become a really cool city.

In terms of disappointment, definitely Dubai. Hated almost every minute of the 3 days I spent there. Oppressively hot and not much to do

Totally agree. Completely soulless city with no redeeming features.

Honourable mentions go to Brussells. Stayed in an Ibis, in 2008 on a motorcycle trip, minutes from the centre but deep in scumsville. Washing lines hung between buildings kind of place. Went to an Irish Bar and it was like a suicide bombers convention, never felt more uncomfortable in a boozer and yes I've been in Lauders. Was convinced that the bikes would have been stolen overnight. Obviously things haven't improved any.In fact the whole of Belgium is pretty grim apart from Bruges but that's like a euro Disney type place(only exists for tourists)

Honourable mentions go to Brussells. Stayed in an Ibis, in 2008 on a motorcycle trip, minutes from the centre but deep in scumsville. Washing lines hung between buildings kind of place. Went to an Irish Bar and it was like a suicide bombers convention, never felt more uncomfortable in a boozer and yes I've been in Lauders. Was convinced that the bikes would have been stolen overnight. Obviously things haven't improved any.In fact the whole of Belgium is pretty grim apart from Bruges but that's like a euro Disney type place(only exists for tourists)

Lauder is full of old people out shopping.

Brussels isn't my favourite place but I thought Antwerp and Ghent were both really nice. Charleroi is a fucking shithole though.

• 4 weeks later...

Sharm El Sheikh. The sensatori resort was brilliant , but , decided to go for an early morning walk up the beach before breakfast. Left by the gate near the sea , then , walked round the edge of the complex. Halfway round , it became what looked like the tv pictures of what the South African ghettos looked like with pallet shacks and old corrugated iron sheds with the odd camel tied up outside. Then I saw what seemed like about a dozen abandoned blood stained knives scattered around the path. Picked up the pace and left a few guys shouting after me.

After that the only other time we left the resort was to go to Soho Square ( where the security guards had AKs and Spas 12 shotguns ) and go quad biking up in the desert , where we passed a load of tanks , troop carriers and anti air weaponry. Don't think I'll be going back there again.

It's fairly close to home but Fraserburgh is grim. If you haven't already visited, I would advise on keeping it that way.

As far as England goes, I concur with other posters about Blackpool, Barrow-in-Furness and Morecambe. I would add Grimsby to the list, too. I also remember thinking Rochdale and Scunthorpe didn't have too much going for them, but that might have changed since my short visits.

Archived