After This Campaign

harry94

Not recently he hasn't. He's mostly warming Sunderland's bench and doing f**k all for them as well.

Ok so who's done it against big teams recently? The best we've come is a goal from Leigh Griffiths against a mid table Swedish side, and he went completely missing in the away leg apart from kneeing someone in the nuts for no apparent reason

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naismith, as least he's played this season and he had a great season last year, scored against Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City and in Europe against Lille and Dynamo Kiev - and that's just some of it.

You might not agree with their level but Russell is scoring in the championship and whilst Griffiths isn't great he is playing and scoring, whether you like the teams or not.

Naismith, as least he's played this season and he had a great season last year, scored against Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Man City and in Europe against Lille and Dynamo Kiev - and that's just some of it.

You might not agree with their level but Russell is scoring in the championship and whilst Griffiths isn't great he is playing and scoring, whether you like the teams or not.

You don't think it matters what level they've proved themselves at?

Naismith played against Georgia by the way. I don't know if you noticed but he was just as hopeless as everyone else

I disagree, I don't think I'm the one guilty of revisionism here! Bertie took McFadden as a 19 year old to a competition where faddy got drunk/ missed a flight or whatever.

The play off 1-0 game v Holland in 2003, a massively important game for our international side: Darren Fletcher was 19 years old, James McFadden was 20 years old. Neither were established first team regulars at their clubs so it was quite bold of Vogts to throw them into a game like that.

I'm not arguing Vogts was a success as a manager here by the way!

Anyway, we may well end up going in circles here so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Faddy scored 32 goals in 70 games for Motherwell and secured a £1.25m move to Everton before Vogts gave him a competitive start. Can you not remember the frustration at the time that he wasn't given a proper chance earlier? He was our best striking option at that moment in time.

He threw young players into friendlies, but even at that he somehow managed to miss some of our better young players like Maloney.

I disagree, I don't think I'm the one guilty of revisionism here! Bertie took McFadden as a 19 year old to a competition where faddy got drunk/ missed a flight or whatever.

The play off 1-0 game v Holland in 2003, a massively important game for our international side: Darren Fletcher was 19 years old, James McFadden was 20 years old. Neither were established first team regulars at their clubs so it was quite bold of Vogts to throw them into a game like that.

I'm not arguing Vogts was a success as a manager here by the way!

Anyway, we may well end up going in circles here so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

That playoff game was in November 2003. McFadden had already, as SpoonTon states, establised himself at Motherwell and as one of the best players in Scotland before getting a move to Everton, where he was at that point playing regularly. It was not remotely a bold decision to throw a player like that into the team.

Fletcher was in and out of the team at his club at the time. Admittedly he wasn't established as a regular in the starting eleven, but that season he had appeared in eight of Man Utd's 17 games, starting five of them. I don't think it was remotely bold to pick someone for Scotland who was a bit part player for one of the best teams in the world.

Ffs. Naismith score a hatrick against chelski yesterday and everyone is creaming their pants. I like Naismith but he has done very little in a Scotland shirt and btw played in Tblisi.

What we need is an out and out goalscorer. Rhodes should have had more of a chance, as should the lad george boyd.

Naismith is usually solid for Scotland.

Rhodes deserves more of a chance I'd say, I'd say Naismith deserves more of a chance upfront tbh!

George Boyd should be nowhere fucking near us.

Rhodes deserves more of a chance I'd say, I'd say Naismith deserves more of a chance upfront tbh!

Not now lichtie.... but when boyd broke through c. 8-9yrs ago... he perhaps should have been nurchered.

See rhodes scored again 2day... all be it penalty

Guest DAVIDB69

Interesting manual neurer was asked to compare Scotland and Ireland.

Ireland play a lot more football than us and we are mainly a kick and rush side.

Naismith and Fletcher (despite his recent form) should be first picks for the squad. Rhodes too seems like a no-brainer: whether you think he's one dimensional and unsuited or, like me, that he can be our frontman (probably in an altered formation though), it makes a lot of sense to at least have him there on matchdays should we need to bag a goal.

Archived