Glorious Failure

SFC1884

As Scotland fans why do we accept glorious failure as a badge of honour.

Spain, England and Germany have beat us by one single goal in recent years - why do we accept this?

"We gave a good account of ourselves against a better team" doesn't wash with me - I want to take points off these teams, especially after scoring two against them!

Had we gave half the battle, enthusiasm and commitment we gave tonight as we did in Tbilisi, I reckon we'd have left Georgia with three points!

Yet as a nation we seem to accept being the bridesmaid and never the bride!

As Scotland fans why do we accept glorious failure as a badge of honour.

Spain, England and Germany have beat us by one single goal in recent years - why do we accept this?

"We gave a good account of ourselves against a better team" doesn't wash with me - I want to take points off these teams, especially after scoring two against them!

Had we gave half the battle, enthusiasm and commitment we gave tonight as we did in Tbilisi, I reckon we'd have left Georgia with three points!

Yet as a nation we seem to accept being the bridesmaid and never the bride!

had we given, not had we gave

Granted I've not read back further than a page or two since coming in but I don't see anyone "accepting" anything. P&B is mostly folk complaining from what I can tell.

Sorry but folk bemoaning what teams/nations supposedly accept is usually meaningless, cliched word salad. If the fans had stormed the field after the England game and started digging graves on the pitch or something like some mad Balkan b*****ds, it wouldn't have made us win or draw tonight.

We lost by one last night because we happened to score two flukey set piece goals. We lost in Georgia because as soon as Scotland looked in control of their destiny, they shat it. There's really nothing glorious about it.

Because the Scottish mentality is to do just that.

The most important thing to your average Scot is to get pished, no matter the result they will have a party anyway.

Scotland as a whole has no confidence, we didnt even have to balls to run our own country.

Scottish football is rotten to the core, ability is not the first thing on the list.

The whole coaching/ training and individual professionalism needs completely revamped before we can even think about producing players who arent petrified of the ball under pressure.

Look at the Germans, they were all bigger, fitter , stronger

Faster and more skilful athletes than our players.

This tells me they are more professional as well.

Plus we have become a nation of jessies as well, listen to the weird university accent of everyone under the age of 26, with their constant upper inflections and overuse of words like awesome, like and everrrrrrrrr.

We dont intimidate, Glasgow used to be "No mean City", now they stand and applaud other teams goals????

Glorious failure would entail being close to success but not making it at the last. As it stands we're just failures. Play off defeat would maybe raise us back to that sort of highlight but there is no guarantee we'll get close to that.

We keep failing because we can't beat shite teams away from home. Nothing glorious about that. More a lack of quality to do something extra when the pressure is on. Gareth Bale or Aaron Ramsey in our team would make a big difference. But unfortunately there is no sign of anyone like that.

Germany was not glorious failure despite some English sky sports commentator describing out performance as 'brave'

We were utterly outplayed for 90 minutes by a team in 2nd gear apart from a couple of brief spells where we forced them to go into 3rd gear for 2 minutes before going back to their training routine.

f**k me if that's glorious then just end it all now.

Glorious failure would entail being close to success but not making it at the last. As it stands we're just failures. Play off defeat would maybe raise us back to that sort of highlight but there is no guarantee we'll get close to that.

My view, also.

There is nothing glorious about failing to get out of a piss easy group. Nobody seems to be suggesting there is.

There certainly have been poor performances at tournaments in the past to which the collective response has been one of self patronising nonsense, but I'd like to think we've moved beyond that now.

There's nothing particularly glorious about being beaten by any side and all fans would prefer to win these games.

I never get the "fans accepting second best" thing though. There is nothing to accept, the result we get is the result we get, and the mentality of the fans makes absolutely no difference to anything.

Do you think that if we moan like f**k and complain about losing to clearly better teams that it somehow makes us better fans? Or that we won't lose next time?

There is nothing wrong with trying to stay positive and look for things that we did well at in the game or be reasonably pleased that we kept it tight and it didn't end up like Brazil or Gibraltar. It doesn't mean we are happy to lose, it simply recognises that we weren't awful and we know what to improve on and what is ok.

Because the Scottish mentality is to do just that.

The most important thing to your average Scot is to get pished, no matter the result they will have a party anyway.

?

Seen this mentioned a few times, if I was to spend the amount of money that some fans do to go to games you could guarantee I'd set myself up to have a grand fucking time. f**k spent ridiculous amounts for Scotland to do the standard, get pumped then spend the night moping in a hotel room crying about Fletcher having no pace.

Seen this mentioned a few times, if I was to spend the amount of money that some fans do to go to games you could guarantee I'd set myself up to have a grand fucking time. f**k spent ridiculous amounts for Scotland to do the standard, get pumped then spend the night moping in a hotel room crying about Fletcher having no pace.

So true

Berttravers is a fanny

I blame the ref in the South Korea v Uruguay game in 1990 personally. If we made it to the second round then I think we'd all be happy with our lot. Plus I would have got to stay in Italy for another week.

I can't be bothered checking but who would have slaughtered us in the next round?

I blame the ref in the South Korea v Uruguay game in 1990 personally. If we made it to the second round then I think we'd all be happy with our lot. Plus I would have got to stay in Italy for another week.

I can't be bothered checking but who would have slaughtered us in the next round?

Italy.

Archived