Steven Fletcher

Elixir

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought he was poor again tonight. Yes, he scored, but he actually got lucky with it as he had his back to the game.

He turned round, ball came to him

You get a lot of stick on here from other posters, if this is the standard of your input then I have to say, it's nowhere near enough stick.

What a lot of shite.

Decent tonight. Worldie of a goal. If he'd shown that predatory instinct in other games (instead of almost always knocking it backwards by default), he'd have had a lot less stick.

It was a class goal perhaps helped by going at it first time...,whatever it was a worldie......rest of his performance tonight n indeed campaign.....just poor tbh....cant win headers.,,,limited movement n touch.... certainly had moments....assist for anya v Germany was sublime.....but hes not mobile enough n his touch is rotten generally.....he doesn't lack commitment or desire he clearly loves the jersey (look at his celebration tonight) but long term dont see how he can help us progress.....honestly dont think he is good enough unless he becomes vastly more mobile n not sure a lambo owning Sunderland player will feel need to graft that bit more......alk that said i screamed like a little bitch when he scored

Thought he done OK last night. Took his goal very well and put himself about enough, won a few knock ons and laid off well to bring others into the game.

That header straight at the goalie to put us 3-1 up though. Sums up his campaign for me. Done OK but you just feel he should do much better.

He was one of our best players last night, and has been vital to the way we play all campaign. He was very poor against Georgia away and Germany at home, but other than that he's played well in my opinion.

He brings others into play in a way that none of our other striking options can. It's no surprise that the 3 behind Fletcher, whomever they may be, have done very well in this campaign, it's because of the way Fletcher drops deep to create space and his hold up play is superb.

The only other feasible option to play up front is Steven Naismith, and even at that he's better behind the striker. Anyone who thinks Leigh Griffiths should play ahead of him needs to have a serious word with themselves.

This "his hold up play is superb" is a myth.

Lewandowski kept switching to the wings and picking the ball up in wide areas and waiting for teammates to get forward. That's hold up play.

A static Fletcher generally losing a 50/50, or if he did win a header then it was aimlessly landing anywhere, rarely to a teammate. That is not superb hold up play.

This "his hold up play is superb" is a myth.

Lewandowski kept switching to the wings and picking the ball up in wide areas and waiting for teammates to get forward. That's hold up play.

A static Fletcher generally losing a 50/50, or if he did win a header then it was aimlessly landing anywhere, rarely to a teammate. That is not superb hold up play.

Lewandoski was just lucky though. Seriously, if you didn't notice fletcher holding the ball up last night, you might as well stop watching football, you clearly don't understand what's going on

fletcher had a good game by scotlands accounts last night, however it doesnt excuse him being pretty poor in the previous 4 games when we could really have used an in form striker to maybe get us another 2 points or more from they games

turning in a performance like that last night was pretty much too little too late

fletcher had a good game by scotlands accounts last night, however it doesnt excuse him being pretty poor in the previous 4 games when we could really have used an in form striker to maybe get us another 2 points or more from they games

turning in a performance like that last night was pretty much too little too late

Last 4 games lol.

Idiot found

Many goals did he score in the 4 games previous to last night?

A lone striker for Scotland is a thankless task, getting maybe one chance per match if you're lucky. His job in the team is to hold the ball up and get the attacking midfielders into the game which, Georgia aside, he has done pretty well throughout this campaign. You'll struggle to find anyone else who could do that role in the team.

The whole 'he's a striker and should be scoring goals' idea doesn't really apply here as long as the manager continues to use him in this way.

A lone striker for Scotland is a thankless task, getting maybe one chance per match if you're lucky. His job in the team is to hold the ball up and get the attacking midfielders into the game which, Georgia aside, he has done pretty well throughout this campaign. You'll struggle to find anyone else who could do that role in the team.

The whole 'he's a striker and should be scoring goals' idea doesn't really apply here as long as the manager continues to use him in this way.

This.

so he scored 3 in the games against ireland twice, georgia and germany?

I thought you said the last 4 games before Poland?

I am far from being a fan of Fletcher but he played very well last night. My best memory of the game was watching Fletcher sprint from up front across to the touch line and absolutely rugby tackling the Polish player who was breaking forward. Not only funny as f**k but actually a really important professional foul - he really did put everything into last nights game. I wish he played like that all the time.

I am far from being a fan of Fletcher but he played very well last night. My best memory of the game was watching Fletcher sprint from up front across to the touch line and absolutely rugby tackling the Polish player who was breaking forward. Not only funny as f**k but actually a really important professional foul - he really did put everything into last nights game. I wish he played like that all the time.

That was absolutely tremendous. The ref clearly either found it funny as well or realised that he was just absolutely knackered since he didn't get booked.

and the home ireland game where he was hooked after 56 minutes, and funnily enough we score after he's off, away to ireland he was quite poor as well, we had nothing really going forward and relied on luck to get us a point

Archived