St Mirren v Falkirk

You'd think after (presumably) being Sint Murn fans for years that Buddies1877 and Jimmyboo wouldn't react in such a comical and seething fashion to a home defeat.

Good to see Aggy scoring again, his best season at this level saw him hit ten I think. Wouldn't be surprised if he beat that this year.

Lol aggy is pish he's a one trick pony got a decent shot on him that's it. Too lightweight in midfield and his passing is hopeless.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always tough for provincial sides like saints, us etc to acclimatise to life back in the championship and thats even without the likes of hibs and sevco being there. Saints last few years very much mirrors ours of a few years back with ludicrous managerial appointments turning a settled top flight club into one struggling to get back up. Normally the first season down is your best chance but thats obviously not going to be the case with the teams currently in the league. Top 4 has to be the aim for both ourselves and saints and anything else is undoubtedly a bonus. Will be interesting to see how murray does this season. Saints unlike Dumbarton wont just settle for being in the championship and that brings a whole different pressure on getting results.

Yer man Thompson looks like a 60 min man now, strong in the air but he committed the most fouls today, took him about to his 6th to get booked

The post I was replying to was one where a Falkirk fan said Goodwin had committed 7-8 fouls.

He clearly didn't, and indeed his reaction to Kerr's challenge probably enabled the ref to not send Kerr off - although Goodwin not making a meal of a bad challenge is still not an excuse for the ref not to make the correct decision.

And not your unsporting clowns earlier? We were shite and you're best team won.....

I take it from the nonsense above that you've assumed I'm a Falkirk fan?

Wrong yet again.......

Good luck with the English lessons.

Thompson did the same foul about 3 times on Vaulks, no chance of getting the ball, ref even had a word with him and Im sure was something along the lines of last warning, only to foul again and no booking

No way Grants foul was reckless, if it was in the middle of the park, he may have even escaped without a booking, He was late, thats all, I had the perfect view being on that side.

Kerr flattening Goodwin....cmon as said, Goodwin had his fair share of fouls and no card, Kerr's race was run, a bit like Thompson's but we subbed our's

Tell me you're not serious that you think that tackle wouldn't even merit a yellow under ANY circumstances?

And as for Kerrr, clear as day yellow card for the barge on Goodwin.

Houston took him off almost immediately afterwards, so I think he agreed.

f**k sake. Penalty changed the game, ridiculous foul to give away. Totally pointless.

Was still impressed by our game, despite the second half. We still look far more dangerous going forwards than we've looked in two years which is something.

St Mirren is the epitome of a relegated SPL club. They have ideas beyond their station, have an ageing team and are on downward spiral. They'll be in the wilderness for a decade at least.

Against Livvy, at one point Thompson was old enough to legally be the father of every other outfield player.

He's coming up for 37, the rest of the players were between 18-21.

Hardly an ageing team.

Indeed lack of experience is one of our big problems.

Webster and Goodwin coming back in have helped a bit, but our team consists of young boys and a few (too) old men.

8 points ahead and a game in hand after 6 games. It was very pleasing for a St Mirren fan to inform me on the train through that John Baird doesn't have enough goals in him for this league.

Really disappointing display from St Mirren yesterday. For all their dominance in the first half I feel Saints failed to create anything of real note. The first was a fluke (no way did it go straight in), and Stevie Mallan's goal came out of nothing at all albeit a good finish from the youngster. He has been impressive in the last few games to be fair.

The tackle on McMullan could go one way or another, first thought was that it was a red, as it was mistimed and McMullan was a yard away from the box and looking odds on to get a strike away. Grant knew exactly what he was doing, as did Falkirk who like every team so far this season looked to put a marker on him straight away. Every game he has been kicked off the park. Was Grant last man? Probably not, so it could be debated.

As for Baird, he is the sort of striker Saints could probably do with right now, feeding off of Thommo's scraps. We are very one dimensional despite the players at our disposal. If McMullan is on the pitch it seems to be a case of giving the ball to him. We enjoy a decent amount of possession without actually doing anything with it and that is the annoying thing. Mallan and Agnew should be able to create openings, which to their credit they did at Palmerston, but Agnew has failed to impressive otherwise, he has a good strike and that seems to be it right now.

Defeat next week and Murray will no doubt be under a bit of pressure. A few folk are getting restless already, its still early, but we haven't got the most supportive supporters at the best of times and its not looking good. As things stand we look incapable of going on a run, substitutions are strange, and we don't appear to have a clear gameplan.

Poor 1st half from us. Didn't think St Mirren were that good I just thought we were awful. As soon as we got our 1st goal felt we would get something from the game just didn't think it would be all 3 points :)

It looks as if Miller is definitely going to do a job for us this season, hopefully he can add a few goals as well :thumsup2

Therein lies the complaint that any Sons fan with a brain cell had last year. He relies so heavily on his assistant and when your assistant is nothing but a youth coach you're going to see some baffling tactics, shitebag tactics at that. Sad that he's fucking this up and isn't learning.

Yeah, the warnings you guys gave us when Murray came in are looking pretty spot on at the moment.

The post I was replying to was one where a Falkirk fan said Goodwin had committed 7-8 fouls.

He clearly didn't, and indeed his reaction to Kerr's challenge probably enabled the ref to not send Kerr off - although Goodwin not making a meal of a bad challenge is still not an excuse for the ref not to make the correct decision.

Ive watched the Kerr challenge again on FFC tv and if you are expecting a booking or in this case a 2nd booking for that challenge, you'd be as well as making the game non contact.

Tell me you're not serious that you think that tackle wouldn't even merit a yellow under ANY circumstances?

And as for Kerrr, clear as day yellow card for the barge on Goodwin.

Houston took him off almost immediately afterwards, so I think he agreed.

The question was in reply to a St Mirren fan saying the challenge merited a red card if it was in the middle of the park. If it were in the middle of the park, it may have escaped a booking, plenty of late challenges yesterday not punished.

Ive already stated that it could have went either way, so in my mind and lot of others is that its not a stonewall red, so its in that grey area and will depend on the ref. I thot the ref handled the game well yesterday, another ref yesterday and you may have seen a red card or two and 7-9 bookings.

see above re Kerr....Kerr's race was run and he wasnt taken off straight away, we have all witnessed the get him off now before he is sent off, this wasnt one of those occasions, Kerr

Thought we were fantastic second half. I said at around the 48 minute mark that big Lee was our MOM at that point and he only came on at half time! ???? by the end you could argue that a bunch of them deserved it. Vaulks, Taiwo and Baird all had great 2nd halves. That was also the first look I've had at young Blair and I thought he looked good. Very composed on the ball. The most impressive thing though was the spirit and determination that everyone showed and I think that Houstie deserves a lot of praise for that.

I don't agree that Grant's tackle was a red. Maybe from the 'clear goal scoring opportunity' angle, but it wasn't a dirty tackle, late yes but not dirty.

If Houstie starts with Baird up front by himself against Alloa I'm going to go over to the dugout and kick him squarley in the baws!

I thought the Grant tackle was one if those 'yellow and a half' ones that could have gone either way. I think if it hadn't resulted in McMullen being injured, our fans would be a lot less upset about it.

I couldn't believe how limp and spineless Falkirk were in the first half. I haven't seen a performance that pathetic from a visiting team at SMP since the last time Hibs rolled up. Say what you like about Houston, but he fair earned his money at half time, and Miller changed the game. Shame the same couldn't be said of Murray, who to but it bluntly, fucked it. Thompson had a good 60 mins but was clearly fucked. You've got Shankland on the bench for that reason! That new boy who came on for McMullen was so far out his depth as well, he needed to go for Morgan or even Howieson to bulk up the midfield and help us slow the game down and see it out. Those subs looked so obvious to me anyway. I don't know what he was thinking.

Hope the boy that burnt his hands and ended up inthe cells enjoyed the Falkirk victory yesterday. :lol:

Funny as f**k ????

The braw looking steward comes marching upto him and shouts "out" right in his face

The boy holds up his blue hands saying "it wisnae me" ????????

"I seen you light it"

I'd like to think that first half will be our poorest performance of the season. We looked disjointed and the team didn't look interested. We were slow in possession, sloppy at the back and the goals we gave away were absolute shockers. Rodgers completely bottled it and was claiming a foul before the ball had even crossed the line. The second was just a complete mix-up by the defence and we were punished with a clinical finish.

Despite being 2-0 up, St Mirren didn't look anything special IMO, but fully deserved to be leading at HT. You can see why they've only picked up 5 points so far. They didn't look particularly high on confidence and started to look shaky after we pulled a goal back. Your boy on the wing was a constant threat and I was glad to see him subbed early on.

That second half was the best half of football I've seen from us in ages. Urgency right from the kick off and some excellent build up play at times. Smith was outstanding on the wing and provided two great crosses for the 1st and 3rd goals; my MOTM. Miller coming on definitely changed the game. He won almost everything in the air and linked up brilliantly with Baird who turned in shift as usual. Really pleased to see him score twice.

Scenes at the end when the goal went in. Games like that make all the shite ones seem seem worthwhile.

So many incorrect decisions from Beaton, and almost all favouring Falkirk.

Leaving aside the possible straight red for the assault on McMullen, how Taiwo and Kerr didn't get second yellows is an absolute mystery.

Kerr's challenge on Goodwin highlights a problem Saints have.

If Goodwin had put in the same challenge on anyone in the Falkirk team he'd have been booked - as he should have been. But no doubt the Falkirk player would have made a meal of it to ensure the ref couldn't avoid giving the card.

Houston clearly knew he was 'lucky', and so immediately subbed him.

Falkirk's momentum in the second half proved too much for us, but Beaton certainly helped their cause.

Taiwo, on a yellow, did several fouls, dived to try to win a foul, and then feigned injury

Even though I wasn't at the game and I'm 20,000km away, I knew as soon as the post was from Bobby_F roughly what it was going to say.

Far too predictable.

Archived